Clear All

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Thanks Ed

I will keep an eye out for it

Leave a comment:

• Mike Newell
    replied
    Invaders from Mars 1953. Finally restored on Blu Ray. Big improvement in quality on previous versions in all formats.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1157.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	91717

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied
    The 1960 version remains the best to date. The 2016 remake version was ok, but all of the sequels that followed the original 1960 version were pretty poor.

Keep an eye out for the 2022 4k release:

Shout! Factory lists The Magnificent Seven as a “new 2022 restoration and color grade using an existing 4K scan of the original camera negative.” The film is presented on 4K Ultra HD in a 2.35:1 HEVC 2160p (4K UHD) Dolby Vision encodement. It is from the opening scenes a gorgeous, organic, filmic looking transfer. The wide color gamut presents an array of rich colors for the Western setting from patches of verdant green to the earth tones in the towns. The granularity is a bit coarse, but it remains natural throughout. There are some frames that look a bit soft and lacking in detail. These look to be either dupes for in-camera effects or spliced in from separate sources where the original source was unusable. These are very rare and do not take away from the overall naturalness and crispness of detail in the presentation.
    Last edited by Ed Gordon; November 27, 2023, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Last night it was again the turn of this blu-ray just to make a change I thought it would be nice to watch a Westernbelow screen shots are from last night.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1340866.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	91664

Name:	P1340867.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	91665

Name:	P1340868.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	91666

Name:	P1340875.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	91667

Name:	P1340877.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	91668

Name:	P1340886.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	91669

Leave a comment:

• Osi Osgood
    replied
    For the kiddos, we watched "The Peanuts Movie", and, as a person that grew up on "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" and "Snoopy Come Home", this was a nice bit of noltagia for me. I was glad that the film makers didn't try to modernize the peanuts gang. You know, giving them dirty language or behavior usually reserved for adults, as is sometimes what happens with other classic characters.

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Well that's my spend up for this week getting these two. I will watch "Distant Thunder" very soon, its also a movie I have never seen. "Imprint" have a few others coming out over December that have caught my eye, so will see .

Oh! I forgot to mention I picked up The French Connection a few weeks ago second hand, its a film I had never watched before until the other night, after screening the feature using the Epson I watched an excellent "Anatomy Of a Chase" by Gene Hackman, its very good, also looking back, he talks about how important this film was for not only him but Roy Scheider as well for there later future career's in acting.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340859.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	91223
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340860.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.0 KB ID:	91224
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340863.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	91225
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340864.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.2 KB ID:	91226
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340861.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	91227
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340862.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	91228

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    JB Hi Fi store is having a sale at the moment so we went along to see what the new blu-ray release titles were. One and yes its another "Imprint" called "Distant Thunder" starring John Lithgow and Ralph Macchio from 1988 was one we picked out, but also an Australian film that did the cinema run this year that I had never heard of, called simply "The New Boy" starring Cate Blanchett and Aswan Reid. what caught my interest in this one, was the review on the front cover. I usually like to know a bit about a movie first before purchasing it, but took the chance on this one.

I always like to try something different and this Australian film which I would say is large scale production, was impressive to watch tonight. I found it really held my attention from start to finish. The acting, the stunning Australian photography, excellent score all had me glued to the screen for almost 2 hours. Both Cate Blanchett and Aswan Reid were amazing to watch on the screen.

This film really was a total surprise Aswan Reid says very little during the film, but its his silent reaction to events around him that's impressive. as for Cate Blanchett, well this film would have to be one of her best. Both picture and sound are excellent, highly recommend this brilliant Australian production.

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Doug

This is the complete short film on you-tube

I think "Pro8mm" supplied most of the equipment and props for the the actual Super8 feature.

At the time of of its cinema screening I brought in a Super 8 camera to show our staff a bit about it, one thing for sure they were more interested in the Super 8 camera than any video unit

Name:	pict55 010 (2).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	91088

Leave a comment:

• Mike Newell
    replied
    Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
    Cant believe its been 12 years since I ran the 35mm print of Super 8, its quite scary how quickly time passes the older you get. Anyway on a brighter note it was once again the blu-ray projected using the Epson tonight. The blu-ray screen shots below are from a previous screening. I am still kicking myself for not finding a way to hang onto the film print, only a couple of weeks before we closed they wanted it back, only for the prints to get destroyed in a landfill.

PS I should add the Super 8 Scope trailer is very good
    Click image for larger version Name:	P1310198.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	91038
    Click image for larger version Name:	P1330298.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	91039
    Click image for larger version Name:	P1330299.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	91040
    Click image for larger version Name:	P1330347.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.9 KB ID:	91041
    Click image for larger version Name:	P1330363.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.6 KB ID:	91042
    Haven't actually watched it but sure it is more sentimental twaddle with large dollop of maple syrup from Spielbergg in the twilight of his career. It is an annoying title has hundreds of copies pop up on eBay for sale.

Leave a comment:

• Douglas Meltzer
    replied
    Graham,

I really enjoy the nostalgic scenes of the kids making their movie, picking up the developed footage and screening it, however to me the alien story is the weakest part. It is great that their finished film is included on the disc.

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Cant believe its been 12 years since I ran the 35mm print of Super 8, its quite scary how quickly time passes the older you get. Anyway on a brighter note it was once again the blu-ray projected using the Epson tonight. The blu-ray screen shots below are from a previous screening. I am still kicking myself for not finding a way to hang onto the film print, only a couple of weeks before we closed they wanted it back, only for the prints to get destroyed in a landfill.

PS I should add the Super 8 Scope trailer is very good
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310198.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	91038
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1330298.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	91039
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1330299.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	91040
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1330347.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.9 KB ID:	91041
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1330363.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.6 KB ID:	91042

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Who can remember watching this for the first time in a cinema?, well I did and its stuck in my mind as one of the best introductions to a film I can think of. I went with friends to the old La Scala cinema when I was about 14 years old. Tonight it was the turn of the excellent blu-ray, projected using the Epson VP. Its a long one at 3 hours, but has a intermission for a break. Hard to take in, that its now been 57 years since I watched it at a cinema. These days I find I have to be in the right frame of mind to sit through long movies, tonight was one of them. I find films like "The Sand Pebbles" are timeless and are worth a watch every so often. This scene of when Steve McQueen arrives at the San Pablo and says "Hello Engine" was brilliant, and one the viewer never forgets
    Last edited by Graham Ritchie; November 17, 2023, 03:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Newell
    replied
    W. Entertaining biography from Oliver Stone. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0899.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	90574

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Well tonight I went fishing again I really hope that this 1975 film will get a 3D blu-ray release as it did in certain cinemas last year, sadly it never came here in that format .In saying that its still nice to step back in time every so often

Screen shots are from a previous blu-ray screening, its hard to imagine its getting close to 50 years now since it was first made

Name:	P1220719.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	90325

Name:	P1220757.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	90326

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Last night it was "Deepwater Horizon", tonight its "The Day After Tomorrow" both movies are very good and the blu-ray quality with both picture and sound are excellent. Its interesting that I once had the 35 mmm trailer for "The Day After Tomorrow" as its one film we ran at the cinema, but no idea what happened to it, although it was very short.

"The Day After Tomorrow" came out way back in 2004, I can't help but feel that due to to climate change we are seeing at present, this film does make you think where we are going. Although certainly not as extreme as shown in the film, it is food for thought.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X