Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Last night it was the blu-ray of the 2006 film "United 93".

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Picked this one up yesterday from our local JB Hi Fi shop, and I must say the amount of new titles on the shelves is impressive. For only $29 dollars "The Fugitive" in both 4K and blu-ray is a real bargain, so although as yet don't have 4K video projection only the TV can do that at the moment still trying to get my accountant "the wife" to ok a 4K player for that one, with no success to that idea as yet.

Anyway folks after watching just the blu-ray on the Epson VP, I do feel that this blu-ray that came with it, is of much better quality than the earlier blu-ray release of this title that came out many moons ago. Both picture quality and sound is excellent, more so if you have 4K projection which also includes Dolby Amos on the 4K disc

With a running time of 2hours and 10 minutes, its full on action from start to finish. Even if you don't have 4K, this two disc is a must have to own. Warner Brothers have done a stunning transfer, so I will give it a 10 out 10, get it while you can, its well worth it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1350062.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	93078

Name:	P1350063.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	93079

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied
    Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
    Watching it the other night, reminded me of something my father said to me long long ago, that while he was in Burma during WW2, when the news came that the Americans had dropped the bomb, it meant they were going home. I am sure that thousands of others were thinking the same. He never talked much about his time there, and I never asked, but he did say that disease was killing more people than enemy action, but also added he was full of praise for the American pilots who kept them supplied.
    The pros and cons of dropping the first atomic bomb is part of what makes Oppenheimer such a riveting film to watch. The quote, 'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.', sums up Oppenheimer's conflict.

In a spine-chilling recording, Oppenheimer himself famously cited an ancient myth in reference to the Trinity Test (the testing of the first atom bomb in Los Alamos, New Mexico), saying, "We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent." After this, he pensively goes all the way back to ancient Hindu mythology, saying, "I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that one way or another."

In Christopher Nolan's "Oppenheimer," the same quote appears a couple of different times.
    Read More: https://www.looper.com/1353848/oppen...-explained/​

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Watching it the other night, reminded me of something my father said to me long long ago, that while he was in Burma during WW2, when the news came that the Americans had dropped the bomb, it meant they were going home. I am sure that thousands of others were thinking the same. He never talked much about his time there, and I never asked, but he did say that disease was killing more people than enemy action, but also added he was full of praise for the American pilots who kept them supplied.

Screen shot of the menu

Name:	P1350061.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	93011

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Tonight it was the turn of the blu-ray of "Oppenheimer" , I thought that as its a three hour movie, I would most likely watch the feature over two nights. Well I was wrong, I landed up watching it right through, not only that, but one of the special features "To End All War: Oppenheimer and the Atomic Bomb" which ran for 1hr and 25minutes as well.

So it was a long one tonight, with a total of almost 4hrs and 25min of viewing time all up. I don't usually last that long, but it was all very interesting, highly recommend this blu-ray.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340939.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.5 KB ID:	92969
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340940.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.6 KB ID:	92970

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    It was a couple of nights ago after picking up a copy of Jurassic Park "Dominion" this week that I thought I should give it another go watching this movie. The last time was at the cinema, and at the time I was not impressed with it. In fact I was glad to get to the end after getting my ears blasted for over two hours was really enough for me.

So this time round, and the fact I have control of the volume I managed to watch the whole thing, what did I think? well I still don't think to much of the movie. I still feel it really was a missed opportunity with having both the cast members of Jurassic Park and Jurassic World not to come up with I think a better script. As far as the blu-ray is concerned, both the picture and sound are really excellent, and its much more enjoyable to watch on the VP at home than the last time at the cinema. I am glad to have given "Dominion" another go, at the low price for under $20 the disc was worth it. I am looking forward to going through the special features sometime in the near future.

After watching the last two movies, I thought that tonight it was a time for a different direction, what better than just the "Bad News Bears", included here are a couple of screen shots from its last screening with the grandkids.

Name:	P1350029.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	92777

Name:	P1350030.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	92778

Name:	P1320103.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	92779

Name:	P1310057.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	92780

Name:	P1310069.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	92781

Name:	P1310126.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	92782

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Ed

I just picked up the blu-ray of "Oppenheimer" this week so hope to watch it very soon.

Last night Steven my son payed us a visit and I said I have just the movie for you? what is it? you will see he always does that and I never give away what it will be. I like to keep people in the dark

Well it was this one "Apollo 11" and I must say the 70mm footage is truly amazing to watch. Its a must have to own for any blu-ray collection, Steven was amazed not just of the film itself, but the quality of the image shown on the Epson VP, certainly recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied

Name:	Oppenheimer BD cover.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	92746

Last night I watched the three hour epic Oppenheimer. I decided not to view it in my home cinema since I knew I would not sit still for 3 hours. I had read the reviews, and already knew that this would be a "talking heads" kind of movie, with occasional explosions. I also was well aware of the complaints about unintelligible dialog in Nolan films. I am glad to report my concerns had no merit.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack is superb. Although many scenes have the background music competing with the dialogue, I had no problems understanding the dialogue. Everyone talks a lot in this film, and they often speak rapidly to get across their point.

It's wedded to virtually nonstop music by Ludwig Göransson that fuses with the equally relentless dialogue and monologues to create an odd but distinctive sort of scientifically expository aria that's probably what it would feel like to read American Prometheus while listening to a playlist of Philip Glass film scores.
    Credit: Matt Zoller Seitz July 19, 2023, (https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/o...lm-review-2023)

The 4k image is excellent, but since the aspect ratio varies from IMAX flat to letterboxed scope, I preferred watching it 16:9 TV screen.

The 3 hour runtime is not a problem. I pressed play on the remote, and did not stir for and hour and 40 minutes. It turned out that at about the 1:37 the film has a perfect place for an intermission. I downloaded the subtitles file for the movie and found the exact spot to break for intermission:

01:37:18,898 --> 01:37:20,733
    What do we call the test?

01:37:21,834 --> 01:37:25,605
    "Batter my heart,
    three-person'd god.
    "

01:37:25,638 --> 01:37:26,739
    What?

01:37:28,108 --> 01:37:29,508
    Trinity.​

Cillian Murphy does a great job carrying the film, and the supporting cast is solid. The film is good enough to merit more than a single viewing.

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Being Saturday night last night had me thinking should I watch a double feature? something nice and easy to watch mmmm...so I thought all about Liberad A Willy that's Spanish I think for Free Willy, this blu-ray came from Spain but it goes straight to English DTS 5:1 which is neat as its a title you cant get here. The Picture quality is really good as with the sound. A nice step back in time when we all went to the cinema to watch it. Second choice was going to be The Fog but decided on another blast from the past with the live action of 2003 release of Peter Pan that we ran the 35mm print at the cinema long ago.

By the way the Peter Pan 2003 Scope Super8 trailer is really good, With Free Willy I have the 35mm trailer on one of my mix it reels.

Anyway The Fog will be good on its own tonight
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1270075.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.7 KB ID:	92552
    A couple of screen shots from last night.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	92553
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350025.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	92554
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350026.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.4 KB ID:	92555
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1350028.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	92556
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220761.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.5 KB ID:	92557
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220762.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.6 KB ID:	92558
    Trailer also on 35mm but as flat not Scope like the Super8
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220764 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	92559
    For me the Super 8 feature release is one of the best color films released by Derann and simply magic to screen through the GS1200.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220763.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	92560

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Tonight it was this blu-ray, its not the first time I have watched "Non Stop" its full on suspense, with plenty of twists and turns, just the thing I like about a movie excellent picture as with sound, a good nights entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Yvonne picked out this title from "Imprint" a few weeks ago on a visit to JB Hi Fi store, we both watched it lately on the Epson VP, afterwards Yvonne did not think much of the movie, however I thought it was good, I enjoyed it, its a stunning transfer. Each to there own regarding the movie content, but as I say I thought it was well done, I liked it.

Name:	P1340930.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	92306

Name:	P1340931.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	92307

Name:	P1340933.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	92308

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied
    I looked up Distant Thunder on IMDB and there were 8 movies with that name, and I don't recall any of them. 😀 That scene in the trailer where Lithgow looses it and starts to pummel the other guy reminded me of A History of Violence. You appear to be one of the 1500 folks who got the limited release bluray from Imprint. I see that Scarecrow video has the DVD (and a VHS tape). I'll add this title to my "to watch" list.

Here is that scene from A History of Violence I mentioned:

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Thanks Ed I only have "Twelve Ó'Clock High" on DVD, I will have to keep an eye out for the blu-ray. Tonight I got round to watching "Distant Thunder", its the first time I have ever seen this movie.

I thought it was well done, superb series acting in particular by John Lithgow. "Distant Thunder" 1988, certainly kept my attention from start to finish, all up a good movie and well directed.

Both picture and sound are excellent.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340861.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	92044
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340862.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	92045

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied
    One thing I have noticed with a lot of titles these days, is not to hesitate like I did with Willy Wonka as they only get them in for a certain time.
    If I can get a favorite film in 4k at a good price point I will buy it. I have a UHD Player and a 4k projector and a 12 foot wide scope screen, so the higher cost is worth it. On the other hand, I watch more on my 55" TV, so a 2k bluray is more than enough for a small screen. I have noticed that the 4k setup does a very nice job of up-converting lower resolution media.

If you enjoyed Sahara, you might like Twelve O'Clock High. It is on bluray now (or you can watch it Youtube). It like Sahara, focuses on the men, not the battles. Here is a low res clip from Youtube:

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Thanks for that Ed I saw the 4k/blu-ray disc for sale last week for only $29 dollars brand new, and thought my present blu-ray was good as it gets, so didn't bother. I can see me now getting it soon the next time I pay JB Hi Fi a visit. One thing I have noticed with a lot of titles these days, is not to hesitate like I did with Willy Wonka as they only get them in for a certain time. "Imprint" especially with there limited runs. For anybody with a VP these days, we have never had it so good jumping back to DVD every so often. One title I have watched quite a bit, one that you recommend is "Sahara" with Humphry Bogart, that's an excellent movie, as with the the DVD of Hearts In Atlantis.

At times I like to watch something quite different and this one below is it. Its an unusual film and when I saw it at the cinema, I think I was the only one there, but its stuck in my mind all those years, and very pleased to be able to watch it on blu-ray. The person who did the documentary for the Imprint release came onto the forum here, and he was the one to put me onto the Imprint release.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1170014.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	92001
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1170016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	92002
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1170026.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	92003
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1170023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.4 KB ID:	92004

Leave a comment:

Working...
X