No announcement yet.

Your Today in Pictures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours putting together "I Am Legend" starring Will Smith. I always thought it was a good film, so am looking forward to screening it fairly soon. Today however I loaded it onto the platter, so that's the film side of things sorted out for a while Click image for larger version  Name:	P1100930.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	2497

Comment

Today we visited the museum. they had a 70s and 80s theme. I took this photo of Connor on a space invaders machine. at least I think that's what it is

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110143 - Copy.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	3212

Comment

Nice summers day, and with the help of Connor and Steven they were up on the garage roof cleaning out the gutters.

Name:	P1110265 - Copy.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	3661

Comment

Name:	P1110270 - Copy.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	3663

Comment

Name:	P1110288 - Copy.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	3665

Comment

The sky looked a little strange the other evening, so I took a photo of the sun...Click image for larger version  Name:	P1110219.JPG Views:	0 Size:	39.2 KB ID:	3805

Comment

I see what you mean, Graham: it looks upside-down to me!

-but I guess that's because we are in different hemispheres!

(………...)

Comment

I better not forget the one I took last year of the moon Steve

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030053 - Copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	3821

Comment

The Winter of Ribs! (-an amphibious update)

Those of you that have followed this story know that I am using CineSea as a means of finally completing one of my back-burner projects: my long-overdue operating model of a WWII Ford amphibious Jeep. It's certainly a good thing that I am not responsible for the real one! -at the rate I'm going with this thing I would have missed WWII entirely and Korea too!

-but the basic idea is given the incentive of the pool at CineSea, I am self-motivated to get the thing out a couple of times a week and actually accomplish something.

We are in the mature stages of this project: we aren't quite ship-shape, but definitely amphibious Jeep-shape. The amphibious part works in both modes, and leakage is way down this year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shalimar CloseUp October 2019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.9 KB ID:	3973
                    The lower hull is basically finished, it's the deck i'm thinking about right now.

These were pretty much an Army Jeep chassis stuffed inside a boat hull, with the end result being neither a good Jeep nor a good boat (-but that's compromise: everybody's a little unhappy!). The hull was welded from sheet steel panels with reinforcing ribs stamped in them.

These ribs are definitely part of the character of this vehicle, so I didn't want to leave them out. Of course, especially with this model, it couldn't be easy! Here they are 1/16" half-round dowel. The catch is commercial half-round stops at 1/8", so I had to shift for myself. My brother-in-law made a jig of oak (much harder than the basswood ribs). It has a bunch of 1/16" semicircular channels dug into it. My job is to lay the dowels in these channels and grind down everything that remains above the jig's surface. I bought ten feet of dowel, and last week finished grinding the last of it! (One reason that this is taking so long!)

My project for now is to detail the top deck, so that when it gets warm again I can apply the sealer. This sealer (which people used to call "dope"...) smells kind of like a thousand pounds of bananas in a small room, and the last time I tried to use it indoors nobody in the house (including the cats...) was at all pleased!

I've been a pretty diligent worker this winter, there is progress:

Click image for larger version  Name:	RIBS!.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.2 KB ID:	3974
                    Last edited by Steve Klare; February 13, 2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Name:	IMG_20200216_085638.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	4148Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200216_085650.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	4149 Local Belgian cine fair. Sadly, most of the sellers had posters and dvds on their tables.

Name:	IMG_20200216_083128.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	4146 Forum member Jean-Christophe De Block on the right

Name:	IMG_20200216_085627.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	4147

Comment

Graham, the game being played is Time Pilot!! I am a huge MAME arcade and pinball enthusiast. Great game!

Dom, That venue looks amazing. I like that they have some records(vinyl) as well. I am collecting some vinyl again and like to see pics of vinyl as well(like that original batman lp from the 60's!). Amazing films you get to see in the UK.

Comment

Thanks Mathew

Comment

Mathew......I was very surprised to come across "Blade Runner" a couple of years ago "brand new". I understand after reading about it, that this was the first time the complete soundtrack has ever been released on vinyl. The quality of the recording is outstanding, you can still buy it new and well worth getting.

Name:	P1080426.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	4792

Comment

Details!, Details!!

Somewhere i need to find a scrap of window screen to make this look more like an engine air intake. (It'll look better once I sand it.)

The funny part is a long time ago I had this idea that I was always a month away from finishing this model and if I really stepped on the gas I could finish it before we went someplace with a lake or a pool. Years and years later I've come to accept that even today that isn't true! At least the thing works now, and i can bring it with me even if it's not finished and still enjoy it.

It's kind of like a jigsaw puzzle: the joy is in the doing.

-but in this case you will NOT find me crumpling it up and starting another one!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E2190[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	4794

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E2189_air intake.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	4795
                              Last edited by Steve Klare; February 24, 2020, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Hi Graham,
                                Nice! I think so far my favourite LP that I may have is Disney's Haunted Mansion.
                                A few years ago when I started back up looking at vinyl, flea markets were practically giving the stuff away and i was able to get some neat little LP's. This was one of them. Mine is probably VG++,EX(cover/media) on the golden vinyl standard.
                                Here is what it sounds like. It's awesome listening with the lights out! Most cannot or will not sit through a listening record anymore,especially without music, but they are NEAT!

They sell for pretty good too, but i wont sell mine right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walt-Disney...t/133309817518

I have about 60 LP's sitting at the door I am going to be selling in the next day or two. I figured out a way to make my own cleaning brew(basically water, isopropyl and dawn disk soap mixed) and i have been cleaning records that should never play again and been able to get some of them almost new again! Lots of fun.
                                I just got a copy of the gradute the other day from the inlaws....It is basically Simon and Garfunkel's bridge over troubled waters LP(which i have 2 of now,1 org and 1 reissue).

Steve, very cool! Does the new cinesea venue have a pool to try this in like the old location?

Comment

Working...
                                X