8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 162)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  159  160  161  162  163  164  165  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
John Saunders
Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2014 08:17 PM      Profile for John Saunders   Email John Saunders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished watching a 16mm feature i've had here for a long time, and finally had a chance to view it. 1920 silent western "The Unknown Ranger" starring Rex Ray. (snapped the pics with the flash off and didn't capture the best quality with the camera)
 -

-

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted April 13, 2014 06:20 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From our 24th showing ... Super 8 section

And awful print of Doctor Cyclops
 -

A free film I got from the amazing Mr. Scott, Doggone Tired, 200'
 -

Pinocchio Comes To Life, 200'
 -

The Island, 800' bought at last years Ealing
 -

Laurel & Hardy's Thicker Than Water, 400' Blackhawk print
 -

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 14, 2014 02:57 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great showing Vidar, & thicker than water was L&H's last short I believe, your screenshots are always very clear, what's the secret? [Wink]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted April 14, 2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you ... No secret :-) I do not photograph them, I make a video with either my Sony DV camera or the Nikon D3200 (this camera seem to add red tones that's not really there on screen)

I take it into a program I bought, Power Director 10 and take screen shots of the ones I want. Then I remove a little borders (trying to keep the edges of the screen there) and then resize them to 400 (this used to be 550, but since the other forum needs 400, I opted for that)

You can also use the free VLC player for screen shots

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted April 17, 2014 01:24 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a couple of Flynn films and viewed them today. Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk, both 2x400' Derann prints
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2014 02:35 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Mr Flynn. Two excellent 2x400ft releases. Great cutdowns, and very repeatable.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 17, 2014 03:15 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we watched one of the best scope films in our collection, the 4 x 400ft feature My name is Nobody, always liked this one, (I believe there is a few full features of this on 8mm out there somewhere, we do have the feature on DVD but you cant compare it on TV to this big scope screen version.
A great mix of action and comedy with the brilliant Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill and a great, if sometimes unusual, soundtrack by Ennio Morriconnie.
In brief, Jack Beauregard, (Fonda), once the greatest gunslinger of the Old West, wants to move to Europe and retire in peace. But a young gunfighter, known only as "Nobody", (Hill), idolises him and wants to see him go out in a blaze of glory. He arranges for Jack to face the 150-man gang known as The Wild Bunch and earn his place in history, a really good scope screen filler, the colour has held up quite well and the sound is excellent.
I think we got this one for around £60 many many years ago.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finished the Easter long weekend with a family & friends movie night screening Star Wars and A Bugs Life

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 21, 2014 09:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a very different kind of film showing.

We had friends out from Brooklyn for Easter. One of them is our friend's 82 year old Aunt who is having a rough time of it health-wise.

Our friend was going through storage in their house and found a number of 400 foot reels of her late Uncle's home movies from the late 1960s. I looked at one of them and found that Uncle Charlie was a pretty decent home movie maker but his tape splices and my ELMO didn't get along at all! So I took a reel and went through it end to end with the Bolex beveled cement splicer.

So we sat everyone down after Dinner and told Aunt Yvonne: "It's your film show tonight." She asked "What's it about?" and I said "You need to tell us!"

These were all Kodachromes of family parties in their Brownstone in Bay Ridge and in wonderful shape. They even included Uncle Charlie setting up his Kodak projector, maybe to screen some of the same footage we watched last night.

They got to have a "visit" with long gone relatives and tell some stories. We got to see our friend who turned 60 last fall as a high schooler!

No sound, no 'scope: just memories. (Kind of a window back in time.)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2014 12:28 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Watching home movies of your memories is fantastic. We watched a couple of mine last week of my first trip I think to US from 1980 followed by RAF Finningley 81.

I wish I could start an archive of peoples home movies and put them on the internet. I feel they have a real place to play in the history of the world.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 21, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

That's fantastic. Sounds like a great show. Must've been quite moving.
[Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 22, 2014 12:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom ...

I have that print too and the color has held up well. I have always wished that they would have put out on a 200ft reel that beginning sequence when Henry Fonda gets his "shave", which alone, was quite excellent!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 23, 2014 03:00 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I forgotten about that sequence, just one more reel would have done it [Mad] [Wink]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 27, 2014 05:50 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just watched "L'auberge rouge", a classical French film with Fernandel.

--------------------
Dominique

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2014 07:01 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a BBQ with some folks and did an outdoor screening of Casablanca.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 30, 2014 04:38 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, Benny Hill and today A Fish Called Wanda (super 8 optical sound).

--------------------
Dominique

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 01, 2014 11:12 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Friday and Sunday this was ... Saw on Friday

The Run of the Arrow, 4x400'
 -

And an awful film (I hate musicals :-)) Two Tickets to Broadway I think it was called. 600'
 -

On Sundays meeting in the club
Once Upon a Mouse, 600'
 -

Captain Blood, 2x400' Derann
 -

Tom & Jerry: Jerry and the Goldfish, 200'
 -

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 01, 2014 11:43 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we put up a couple of shorts including the Playground Skirmish extract from The Matrix, this one is the 200ft stereo sounds with excellent all round quality, a great little item and fills the scope screen with action all the way,
 -
 -
 -
 -

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 01, 2014 12:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar ...

In that large shot, is that a young Charles Bronson as the indian (standing there with Rod Steiger)? I'm just curious.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 01, 2014 01:52 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, it sure is :-) Lately (after starting collection of films), I've seen him in more than one film where he's an indian ... He's in Guns for San Sebastian and I think Drum Beat or something like that.

Bronson was cool :-)

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 01, 2014 05:10 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Silent Ennemy, a 1930's silent film starring Indians. It is explained at the beginning of the film that it was shoot as a kind of documentary. The fact that it was a silent film in 1930 made it not a commercial success as, as everybody knows, the talkies already attracted people for three years. My copy has a sound track with music and, curiousely, a spoken introduction by one of the actors. So I wonder if the sound track is original (obviousely, the spoken introduction is) and if it was released with it in 1930 (which could make sense if there were no longer orchestras or pianists in the cinemas at that time).

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 01, 2014 05:10 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 02, 2014 01:25 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was the 3 x 400 footer, (joined onto 2 x 600 foot spools), of Superman and this one has the little extra bits put in from what I assume was a short version, although it all fits well there is a difference in the sound quality but as we go through and old pioneer stereo amp doesn't really cause too much bother, colour is very good,(as is the sound), which makes it a bit odd that these images appear to have fade, this light red only appears through my old digital camera when I take these images during a show, the actual movie is ten times better, what a pity it was never put out in scope like 2 and 3.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 02, 2014 02:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is exactly the same Tom! The person who owned it from new had spliced the 400ft version in and edited it well, but although their is no noticeable fade between the two different prints, the volume level is way down on the 400ft bits to that of the abridged feature.

Also the framing is slightly different but if you overshoot slightly in the borders of the screen it is not noticeable or necessary to re-frame between scenes.

The one I have is mounted on one very full 1200ft reel and ends with the Superman II trailer.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2014 12:39 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been so busy "rockin" lately I haven't had time for films ,but things calmed down for a bit until I back up metal legend THOR next month...Tonight I started with a silent Arthur Lake comedy that sadly is missing its title so I haven't figured out the title on this beautiful old Standard 8mm kodascope print (1920's, kodascope, 2 x 200ft) which was followed by a classic sound film from the 50's called GOD'S LITTLE ACRE (1958, 5 x 400ft, Standard 8mm) that stars Robert Ryan, Tina Louise and many others.

-
 -

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  159  160  161  162  163  164  165  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC