8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2008 10:31 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I had a couple of early cartoons from Ian's last list (16mm). A fantastic 16mm print of the Jean Vigo masterpiece 'Zero de Conduite' and a beautiful Blackhawk S8 print of the silent film 'Outside the Law' with the great Lon Chaney. Very nice!

Hoping to screen some newly aqcuired Tom and Jerry prints (S8) tonight.

(I should do this more often....)

- Rob

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2008 12:34 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry John, but no,El Cid doesn't have the original boxes, just plain old white ones, unfortunately. I have seen pictures of them - see below.
 -

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2008 04:29 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to worry. The box does look excellent though; anyone else got a copy.

Last night we screened the 1993 Super 8 feature of 'The Fugitive' sync' pulsed to the DVD. Had to re-adjust the sync' twice (once for each 1200ft reel) but one of these was possibly caused by the layer change stagger. Had to re-focus once too - darned annoying!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 19, 2008 09:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched one of my favourites tonight- 'Grease' in scope on the 9ft screen. Shown on the Eumig 938 with the Ektar lens, the picture and re-recorded stereo sound were stunning, unbelieveable that it was all coming from super 8.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 02, 2008 01:26 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Return of the Jedi...
The original 70mm print with stereo mag track. A-ma-zing print with gorgeous colours. This was the "inaugural flight" for a friend's new toy (a dual 35/70 projector).
Then the 400ft cutdown of Logan's Run. Good fun. But the film felt incredibly small and fragile after handling the mega 70mm reels...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2008 04:20 AM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Recherche L'Atlantide' parts 1 and 2. Jacques Cousteau shorts released by Disney.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2008 09:46 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened KING KONG (the 1933 classic, of course) last night/early this morning. This is the first time I watched the print since I bought it almost a year ago. What I didn't realize is that this Super 8 print contains many of the previous "cut" sequences -- I thought all of the early prints only were the edited versions. Nice surprise!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 05, 2008 01:07 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a whole day in the yard, we started late afternoon with "The Making of The Empire Strikes Back" and a "Muppet Show" episode starring Peter Sellers (both on 16mm)

[ November 06, 2010, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 03:19 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched THE DEFIANT VIRGINIAN 1x200ft b/w super 8 sound on the new GS1200, film stars Jimmy Stewart was a rancher who refuses to send his sons off to the war.
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 05:49 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Chiltern Hundreds" and "Gasbags"(fun in a concentration camp?)Two good old b/w comedies.Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 18, 2008 05:46 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
As it was so wet yesterday and my Daughter was with me this weekend we got the GS Xenon out mid afternoon and ran 3 Disney features. The Aristocats, Pocohontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
These Derann Disneys are great. My fav of the 3 has to be Hunchback.

It made a change from having my hands inside a machine [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Stanley
Junior

- posted May 18, 2008 06:26 AM      Profile for Paul Stanley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched a few 28mm films including "La Planche" the original version of The Plank. Also some 8mm on the Xenon GS including the Snow White feature. A fun evening.

--------------------
Lets get Lee back on the Forum action group!

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2008 05:24 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Wednesday afternoon we screened the following programme to a senior citizen group (all female, aged 65+)

Pathe Pic-Wonders Of Canada; L&H's Towed In A Hole; R,H&DR 2 reeler
Triplet Trouble & Professor Tom both Tom & Jerry of course. They would lynch me if I didn't have good old T&J in the show. [Smile]
The venue has one of those blue plaques on a wall to commemorate a local named Reg Jones who found fame, fortune and won an Oscar in Hollywood.He was better known to cinema-goers as Ray Milland.
(He took his name from the Mill Lands area of Neath town)
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 19, 2008 06:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mal,
Well you learn something on this forum everyday - I had no idea that Ray Milland came from Neath, he certainly did not have a Welsh accent. I always liked Ray's presence in films, he was always a really class act, one of many great film actors to emerge from the Welsh valley's. My favourite Welsh actors are Stanley Baker and Rachel Roberts.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2008 03:15 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
It's fascinating that this little borough of Neath-Port Talbot has produced some talented people. AS well as Ray Milland this little area was home to Anthony Hopkins He came back home a couple of weeks ago to re-open a YMCA), Richard Burton -(and from the same tiny village, Ivor Emmanuel the singing corporal in Zulu)- singers Katherine Jenkins and now Paul Potts.Rock singer Bonnie Tyler came from the other side of the River Neath. Must be something in the air!
regards,
Mal

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 20, 2008 09:43 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's the Brains beer Mal!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 20, 2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's the Brains beer Mal!

-

And a lot of other Welsh talents come to mind like Mervyn John's, Megs Jenkins, Harry Secombe, Charlotte Church, and of course Tom Jones.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 20, 2008 10:25 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched Derann's 400 foot "West Side Story" extract. It was a request...from my Kindergartner! Fortunately all he's seen of "West Side Story" is the musical numbers. We can save the hatred and stabbing and shooting parts for when we have a clue how to explain them to him.

-and since the 'scope setup was already in place, I wrapped up with "Shakespeare 400".

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 20, 2008 02:15 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Shakespeare 400 easier to run than Indy 500? [Razz]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 20, 2008 03:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I have "Indy 500", it's the original 1911 race and the only Blackhawk I ever bought new.

I never thought to run them together, but since "400" is 24 FPS and "500" is 16, "400" would certainly take the checkered flag!

The fact that "400" is 'scope would probably give extra stability around those tight turns as well.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 20, 2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally broke in my Super 8 print of "Treasure Island" (1970's Orson Welles). It is Letterboxed and a very sharp print for a vintage print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2008 08:06 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I screened the following 8mm films to a local Railway Preservation Society:
SNOW : SOUTH AFRICAN STEAM : RHOMNEY, HYTHE & DYMCHURCH RAILWAY (the Walton 1 reel version) SHADOWS ON THE MOORS : TRACKS AROUND THE ISLAND
They ask for a one hour show so I prepare the complete programme on a 1200ft spool to avoid reel changes. Half way through the performance I noticed the take-up wasn't turning and film was heading for the floor so I manually wound the film for the rest of the show.

I still had to adjust focus and framelines between different films,cut and bring in the sound at the right time and block off the light from the screen as the heads & tails went through the GS.
No-one in the audience noticed except the person sitting next to me who later asked how did I cope.

Annoyingly, after the show I tried the GS again, and after pressing the still button then play, the GS worked OK.
Ah, the joys of 8mm.
Mal

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2008 11:23 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal, Ive also had this problem with the GS and it is not to be ignored.

Anyway who printed Tracks Around The Island and how many copies are there. Is this the film about the Isle of Man train. Ive seen it and it is a beautiful film. I would love to find a copy of it.

Graham S

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
I realise the problem with my GS may not be the same as yours, but what was the cause and cure of your troubles?
Had another look at the GS today, it pulled the same trick but I found that by putting the m/c into reverse then forward, the problem disappeared. I tried this about a dozen times so it wasn't a fluke. Any ideas Kev?

Tracks Around The Island is indeed about transport on the Isle Of Man. It went down extremely well with the audience, one of whom was a Manxman.
The colour was rich and vibrant, soundtrack clear as a bell. It was released by DCR Films and I was lucky enough to get it in a joblot about 18 months ago.
Mal

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2008 06:02 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal,
Thanks for info on Tracks around the Island

To be honest I havent had the time or space to fix it yet and have been using my other GS. The problem was intermittent as the GS takeup spool would stop halfway through, I would stop the machine for 3 mins then restart it and it work again. But I noticed the problem gradually got worse. I am hoping to fix it in the next 2 months and I am almost certain its that pesky relay on the main board whose contacts can get dirty. But Wait, as it can be a dirty takeup motor that needs cleaning (Dave Locke told me). Kev once told me a trick to tell. Run the machine with the back off and when the takeup stops (carefully) feel the motor spindles on both front and back motors. Trying to remember, if the takeup motor spindle is turning but the takeup spool isnt, then it the relay. And if the takeup motor spindle is not turning then (or the takeup spool) then its the motor which is at fault. Kev is this right?. Overall this is a common problem with the GS but usually its the Relay on the main board reading previous posts. Hope this helps.

Graham S

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC