8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 227)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  224  225  226  227  228  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2019 02:21 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cartoon and comedy shorts. A mixed bag of this and that. Nice to see some of the best shorts Disney, Castle, Blackhawk and so on. These are what I started with before I had features.

Everything super 8 magnetic sound
12 reels
400 foot

First half at 1230 matinee
Second half after Sunday dinner

The evening now done both parts screened
Total screen time 3 & 1/2 hours
Running twin machines

I guess being out of a stuffy basement does make a difference! I really am enjoying my new location!

[ August 18, 2019, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Chip Gelmini ]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 19, 2019 12:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy! Have you been busy!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2019 01:15 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There nothing like a good film show! It keeps the crowd coming back!

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2019 08:09 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi and Leon And everyone else as well hop on a plane drive down in a car be part of my audience

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2019 02:17 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monty Python & the Holy Grail, both parts of the Walton cut down which sadly ends well before the feature does. Part one had good to excellent colour on Fuji stock. Part 2 unfortunately is on Eastmancolor and going very pink.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 21, 2019 01:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We dedicated a second screening room in the house the other night. Per tradition the first film on the new screen was the very first film print I ever owned:

Two Foot Gauge in Maine

This print is 41 years old now and being that it's black and white printed on color stock it's showing its age these days!

I guess its shades of red go with the gray in my temples!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 22, 2019 11:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only I could, Chip! [Smile]

I wish I knew who bought that full feature of "Holy Grail" (optical sound super 8 feature), as I would LOVE to track that down!

Steve ...

That is a cool tradition!

[ August 24, 2019, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2019 08:39 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I hung out with my sister, Melanie and we watched cartoons all afternoon! All super 8 sound.

First we started in scope as I had my screen masked that way.
Tom and Jerry Down Beat Bear
Tom and Jerry Tops with Pops
Tom and Jerry The Egg and Jerry
Midway Melody (live action short about amusement park)

Then we went to flat masking
Chilly Willy The Legend of Rockabye Point
Crazy Mixed-Up Pup
Loopy de Loop (I had forgotten this was an optical print so we watched it silent first and then we played it again with sound!)
Susie the Little Blue Coupe
Jumpin’ Jupiter (Porky Pig and Sylvester)
Rollercoaster Rabbit
Thru The Mirror (Mickey Mouse)
Tweety SOS

What a great time we had!
[Smile]

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2019 10:18 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a double feature! Super 8 optical. The films were Uncle Buck! Just Hilarious! And Death Hunt. Both are nice looking prints! And my film crowd loved it! My optical collection just keeps growing!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 27, 2019 07:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Night:

Buster Keaton in "Cops" (Blackhawk, Scored).

We ran this one at CineSea the last time: the crowd loved it!

Mr. Keaton is pretty quickly becoming my favorite among the silent era stars!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 28, 2019 11:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE id you get "Death Hunt" GAWD! I'd love to have that film.

Lucky son of a gun!!!! [Smile]

Uncle Buck is a really rare one!

We watched "Rocky 3" optical sound, last night. A curious print, it's on two different stocks. the first third is low fade and on some form of low fade, (well it hasn't faded, but I can't verify which one it is), the last two thirds are definitely on L.P.P. and the image has the slightest "bluishness" to the image.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 30, 2019 02:39 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tillie's Punctured Romance, the 240 mt/800 ft Blackhawk version.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 31, 2019 08:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were cleaning up downstairs and stumbled across a sound 200 Footer: "L&H Tour". (I don't even remember buying it!)

So I screened it tonight. A reporter asked Stan why they were in England. He said "We are here to do some stage shows and make a new movie called 'Robin Hood'".

-all of a sudden the light dawned: this is the real Laurel and Hardy on the same tour that the 2018 Feature "Stan & Ollie" was based on.

I want to get the "Stan & Ollie" DVD: this will go nicely with it.

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2019 05:24 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another "home alone" evening so out comes the super 8 !

Tonight's treat to myself was....

Grease 6x400' (or in my case 2x 800' as it was printed on that thinner film base. Forgotten its name....)**

The Road to Bali - 3x 400' Amusing but badly faded Bing and Bob film which features very quick cameo's of Humphrey Bogart and Jane Russell...… and some digs at Paramount studios!

Earthquake 1x 400' - By now I had a text that Mrs.E. was heading home so popped this one on as the finale as I have not seen it in ages. The colour has held up very well and so has the sound.

Now.....a cup of cocoa and bed....!

** Polyester?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2019 02:27 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the Nutcracker sequence from Fantasia. A white box special from Derann (said to be due to off centre printing, but I couldn't see any black line at the side) seemingly French sound for the intro and great colour on Agfa stock.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 04, 2019 05:14 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,

I have the Marketing Film (I think?) "Grease" on 2x800'. It has wonderful color and sound, but I would describe it as "almost sharp".

When I'm watching it I feel like adjusting focus, but it never quite gets there.

-Is yours like this?

(I actually found a fix for this: one glass of Port! Roughly halfway through it the sharpness becomes excellent! [Wink] )

Brian,

Interesting: My Derann Nutcracker is without an introduction, but Bach's Toccata and Fugue has a French introduction.

(Both are great reels! Clean the dust off my speakers! Beethoven's 5th in Fantasia 2000 cleans the dust off the entire neighborhood!)

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2019 07:26 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve - Ironically, I thought to myself last night just how sharp the print was, even on a 6' wide (horizontally) screen. The sound,although good, could have been a little better. By the way, I am talking about the flat and mono version.

I also possess the Marketing 3x 400' cut down. THAT is where I need a glass of Port to make the picture come into focus. Very soft.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 04, 2019 10:39 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,

That's the one I have too. If it was just a little sharper it would be really great. If it was just a little softer it would be easier to accept it and move on.

-it's just kind of stuck in the middle.

It's still enjoyable.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 07, 2019 01:26 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night : Peck's Bad Boy, with Jackie Coogan (360 mt/1200 ft). Two nights ago : a reel with commercials and movie related items.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 08, 2019 04:58 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A digest (120 mt/400 ft) of The Blue Angel (in German).

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2019 09:37 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Empire Strikes Back 2x400ft cut down. Looking rather faded i the shadows but the blue on Empire officers badges was showing bright.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2019 02:52 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Jerk Universal 8 2x400ft on Eastmancolor which had less fade than I expected and other than brown shadows overall good colour and Gold Diggers of 1933 Derann 600ft on B&W stock with better definition than I remembered. I hadn't watched these for some time as they were in a difficult to access low (almost floor level) shelf, which may have been why the colour was good due to lower temperatures

Mike Brantley
Junior

- posted September 14, 2019 11:11 PM      Profile for Mike Brantley   Email Mike Brantley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a short one -- Castle Films silent digest of "The Bride of Frankenstein." Very competent and enjoyable edit.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2019 09:46 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One I bought at the auction at BFCC at the Top Hat Club many years ago, but saw several copies at Phil's CHC in August. "A Cinderella Story", the Iver 4x400ft promo for The Slipper & the Rose, unfortunately on SP but except in very dim scenes all the colours are still there. I wonder if this was the longest promo film ever released on Super 8.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 17, 2019 01:18 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had been on a 16mm roll the past few weeks...but last night was strictly Super 8. Started off with Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly in the Beauty and the Bus (1933)... Next W.C. Fields in The Dentist (1932)...then Humphrey Bogart and Kathern Hepburn in the digest of The African Queen (1951) and finally Jimmy Stewart in the digest Flight of the Phoenix (1965).

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  224  225  226  227  228  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC