8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 19)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 25, 2016 03:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black Friday Done Right!

Personally I hate going shopping: if Amazon sold milk, my car might never be seen in a store parking lot at all!

Seemed a waste of a day off to just sit around the house, so we decided to “visit the cactus.” This is a literal thing: even though we are thousands of miles away from any real desert, there is a native species here and we look in on it at the local nature preserve a couple of times a year.

Now, this isn’t exactly Yellowstone: a couple of hundred acres stretching from our northernmost through road up to Northport Harbor. From there it’s open water all the way across to the Connecticut shore.

-no doubt about it: Summer has past. For Black Friday, the crowds were wonderfully light!

-

We found no shoppers clamoring up at the harbor. We found some clams, but they weren't clamoring either!

-

-but unlike the traditional Black Friday, we found exactly what we came for without having to fight anybody off!

As usual, it was doing just fine.

-

They always shrivel up this time of year. As nearly as I can figure it, the plant protects itself from freezing by drying out as much as possible before the first frost.

-

Having everything we needed, we checked out, found the car and went home!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 12:14 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, the cactus is cool, but I like the boat better. Beautiful picture, - and your son is destined to be a tall man. You can tell by the feet.

It was a good day for this nerd. A couple of weeks ago I posted a picture of the contraption I intended to use to keep the chemicals at the proper temp for developing color film. Well, this morning it was finally put to use in developing some pictures I took last month:

-

-

I was pleased with the results but did end up with some water spots. Some changes will be needed for the next roll. All part of a slow journey to being able to develop my own Super 8 film. I guess E-6 would be a logical next step.

The day didn't stop there. In the afternoon, the same contraption doubled as a "Sous Vide" to cook some steaks.

-

A couple hours later:

-

In the evening, my wife and I went to our neighborhood 2nd run theater to watch "Sully". The theater has kept its mid-century decor, and still uses real butter on its popcorn. Plus, tickets are $3.00!

-

The day ended on a bitter-sweet note. I sold the very camera that took the Fall pictures above. Just don't need as many film cameras as I've collected over the last few months. But it did work well.

-

[ November 28, 2016, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 10:29 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love that your 2nd run theater has a screen curtain.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2016 10:41 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the traditional theater experience with ushers, intermissions, etc. Also it's long since gone digital. Don't know if they still have a real film projector or not. But I love that place. They're very creative about making it work. They rent it out. They show broadcasts of major events like the world cup, etc.

Riverview Photo Tour

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 30, 2016 06:19 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My adventures and mis-adventures with projector repairs has extended into other things now. I just dissembled my Toshiba VCR/DVD combo recorder. The VCR was stopping and chewing up tapes. Watching several YouTube videos it looked like a dirty Mode Switch was causing the problem. To get to the Mode Switch I pretty much had to take the whole thing apart. Putting it back together was the real challenge, but the operation was successful...despite having a few screws left over [Smile] They don't make these any more...so I was motivated to try and fix it.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 30, 2016 08:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I praise your initiative, Janice! (-as always!)

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 30, 2016 09:12 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

I like the marquee of that theater. Very different.

Janice,

Excellent work!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2016 10:20 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work Janice.

Video tapes don't get a whole lot of respect for their image quality but I'm still impressed with the engineering, - not that it takes much to impress me.

If you've never watched one operate with the cover off... well, it's pretty cool !

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 01, 2016 10:36 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Tom ... watching the inside of a VCR in action is fascinating. It's like watching a robot. A synchronized combination of mechanical and electrical movements. Yes...very cool indeed! [Cool]

--------------------
Janice

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2016 05:43 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Fresh snow today:

-

-

-

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 14, 2016 06:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put up my Christmas tree today. This is still one of my favorite ornaments from a very thoughtful niece [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 14, 2016 09:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got four in work (Christmas tree's).

Just as well really seeing as thats where we are all spending our entire Christmas!

Ho Ho No.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 19, 2016 07:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been a good topic [Cool] and always interesting.

Yesterday I did something a bit different, I took Yvonne little digital camera for a ride. When she got home from work and asked what did "you" do today?....I replied this... and showed her the video, as proof that I do "other things" than just play around with films.

Anway, it was a bit more practice for me using "Moviemaker" and threw this together real quick.

https://youtu.be/OCYj0dOCK_M

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 19, 2016 07:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trains going around the tree tonight!

(Who here is at all surprised?!!)

-More tomorrow!

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2016 09:44 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice: Love that ornament! How did you get that large image posted?

Graham: What a beautiful area for cycling. The landscape where I live looks nothing like that. Especially not this time of year.

Steve: I'm disappointed. Where's the train? Looking forward to the next installment.

Though I know this forum is more about collecting, it has helped reignite my passion for photography. All I was looking for was help with a projector belt. Can't thank you all enough. Tonight I froze my fingers trying to get this picture. I wanted to get it before the water iced over but there was only a couple of days between the first snowfall and when that happened.

I know there's a couple of other people from the Twin Cities area on the forum. This is Powderhorn Park with part of the Minneapolis skyline in the background. One was taken with a "star filter". The other without.

-

-

This was from a digital camera but I did take some film versions too. Those will of course be better but I need to get some more chemicals before I can develop them. ;-)

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 20, 2016 02:12 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom...The forum requirements only state that the image size be not more than 550 pixels wide... but, the vertical height can be proportionally larger...as long as the file size doesn't exceed the max..it will work [Smile]

My younger son Darrin is home for the Holidays. Tonight.... After a busy day of shopping we came home and prepared a delicious dinner then finished the evening off watching my 16mm print of "It's A Wonderful Life." Doesn't get much better than this.

-

[ December 20, 2016, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 20, 2016 04:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Terrific Janice, absolutely terrific!! [Smile]

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2016 10:45 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I wasn't aware of the image size loophole. Thanks Janice! Also, I like that projection screen you have.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 20, 2016 11:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also curious about that screen Janice. Is it one of those high gain screens for video projection?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 20, 2016 12:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt if there are many of these screens around any more. It's a screen that came with my 1980's Sony front projection television. I couldn't even find a picture on the internet. The TV was not connected to the screen, but a separate projection unit designed to look like a glass top coffee table. My TV projected up to the screen from the floor...but these TV's were also popular to use in sports bars and pizza parlors. At these venues the TV unit was usually mounted upside down on the ceiling as well as the screen. The 3 color beams had to project at the proper angle to the screen.

I have since parted with the old TV unit...but found that the screen with it's 4x3 ratio and a very reflective material was still perfect for film projection and my little digital projector. My front room is pretty much dedicated to movies...TV...exercising... and of course a Xmas tree this time of year.

-

--------------------
Janice

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 01:10 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice and Tom your pictures are brilliant [Cool]

I watched "Its a Wonderful Life" on Super8 last weekend. It was the first time I have watched this print, it came on 7/400ft reels. In some places the print was a wee bit dull, but overall it was still very good and not a mark on it. The sound quality was excellent, much better than my dvd. Now I have checked the print out I will soon move it onto larger reels.

Anyway I am having trouble posting photos at the moment [Frown] but have included another short video I took today with the grandkids.
We left around 8am for a bike ride and got back 4 hours later. It was another nice day, so could not resist getting back on the bike. [Smile]

https://youtu.be/9NBtsXQjTAc

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 02:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a nice reasonably sharp print Graham as I remember, but mine was dark in places also, hence I sent it back at the time after viewing it.

I don't know if all of the Super 8mm prints are this way, but it would be an awful shame if they were given that this is an absolute classic and many a collector's favourite at this time of the year. [Confused]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 03:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew

When I started the first reel with the kids on the frozen pond I was surprised at the sharpness and contrast thinking this is really good. Many B/W prints I have seen dont have that level of excellent contrast, however it was dissapointing later on when in places it was dull.

If they had kept up the same standard of printing as shown at the start of the film it would have been fantastic, sadly it was not to be [Frown] ....we might have to get Xenon lamps fitted [Smile]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2016 03:32 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is very interesting and unique Janice.

Do you not have any problems with reflective "hot spots" when using that screen for film projection ? [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 21, 2016 03:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Graham, that's precisely how I remember it. The beginning was absolutely fine. It was around reel 3 where I first thought I have a defective print here. As if there had been a grading fault when printed, on certain reels.

I think it lasted a little too long also, for what I was comfortable with when viewing it.

If it had been for just a few minutes, there is absolutely no way I would have returned it Graham as I love the actual film.

As things stand, it tends to be one we view on the digital projector now around every other year.
Not watched it this year though yet.

I'd be really interested to find out if all are like this?

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC