8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 13)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of cables; few adjustments made to the old home cinema rack today...

-

The Super 8 sound is in there! [Smile]

It's the red cables going to and from the EQ!!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 14, 2016 02:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years and years ago my boss sent me out to the Lab to troubleshoot this very complicated test fixture that just didn't do anything it was supposed to do.

-every last wire among the hundreds was the same color...

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinkin'!

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 14, 2016 03:31 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presenting; CINESEA- The Motion Picture

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 14, 2016 04:03 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cables Cables everywhere [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 14, 2016 04:24 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it ain't pretty...but gosh darn it all works [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 14, 2016 06:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, if you want to see wires, I'll show you wires in abundance from one of my old time gigs when I'm back home in the morning! [Smile] [Wink] [Big Grin]

It's bordering on the ridiculous I can assure you, for a mobile set up!!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 20, 2016 11:05 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunset over Northport Harbor, July 19th

-

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 21, 2016 02:58 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a nice shot Steve [Cool]

I was down at the heritage park today and used the station to set up some Super 8 editors with film, so the kids can see how a single images moved quickly can give movement, they had fun using the editors, plus I brought down more 35mm film and the splicer so they can have a go at splicing and take home strips of 24 frames of the stuff....it was a good day.

Anyway at the end of the day just on closing up, I thought I would take a photo on the tracks of the station.
 -
One thing this Heritage park does, is to cater for school groups who then dress up while they are here, and enter a classroom from long ago just to get a feel of what it was like back then. Anyway here are a couple of photos "not mine I should add" of a group of kids from a local school being subject to this experience. The looks on there faces is just brilliant [Big Grin]
 -
Incidentally the lady in the background is there actual real teacher also dressed for the part.
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 21, 2016 08:55 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The kids look thrilled!

I had a history teacher in Junior High who made a point of doing one class a year nineteenth century style: today she just might get fired!

Graham, do your kids do summer vacation in December, January and February?

Starting Summer Vacation with Advent?!
-It's the kid's Perfect Storm!

There is a movie connection in my picture. That land across the harbor is Centerport. The William K. Vanderbilt mansion (now a public museum) is there. Think of "Crocodile Dundee II", where Mick goes out to Long Island to rescue Sue from the Drug Lord's mansion. Well, that was where it was filmed. Given a real camera and enough telephoto I might have been able to pick it out from where I was standing.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 21, 2016 02:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve

Yes the schools finish up for the summer holidays at end of November and then restart around the first week in February.

At the moment they have just finished a two week term break this coming weekend. I will be back driving the daily school runs this coming Monday. When April and Steven went to primary school, a small number of parents got involvement in camps, fundraising, etc. I went to two summer camps with the school, myself and other parents involved really had a good time. It was a lot of fun, and something I would recommend. Do parents get involved where you are?.

The last time I did anything like that was on a ski trip when Steven was at intermediate school. I got a free ride in the bus and ski hire and all I had to do was to get all the children safely into there gear, and onto the beginner slope, then the rest of the time was mine. The kids were great and we even found all of them at the end of the day for the bus trip home.

Without rambling on to much [Roll Eyes] on one primary school summer camp we travelled by train, and on the journey home some American tourists came up to me and said, that they just wanted to comment as to how well behaved the kids had been on the journey...I always thought that was a nice thing to say.

Although those days are now long gone, looking back I am glad I got involved. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 22, 2016 09:11 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every summer our local parks have public movies. At the beach north of us they do this on the parking lot and call it a drive in movie. This doesn’t make up for us losing our last real drive–in theater 18 years ago, but it’s at least a taste of what it was like.

Last night was “Finding Nemo”. We got a little behind schedule and were literally the last car allowed in because the parking lot was full. One more red light or bathroom stop on the way and it would have been “Finding Nemo” back at the house! (-note for next year!)

It is of course digital projection off a disk, but if you look among the gear of the people doing the presentation, there are a couple of 35mm film cans for holding their miscellaneous odds and ends: I’m thinking there is some history here.

They have the largest inflatable screen I’ve ever seen! It is a good 25 feet tall. Bearing in mind this is done under sea-breeze conditions, so the screen is a little lively and is sometimes part of the show. Last year it deflated about 20 minutes into “Back to the Future”! (“Ummm…obviously we are having technical problems…but if you will bear with us a minute….”)

-

Showtime is Sunset. They want you there at least 45 minutes early so people can get themselves situated without cars running all over the place, so I had some time. I took a walk behind the screen and visited the tidal creek headed into Long Island Sound.

That coastline on the horizon is Connecticut. I live literally 5 miles from a state border: you just can't cross it without watercraft, aircraft or really impressive swim skills.

-

-then I went up on the beach and saw that sunset was coming soon.

-

-and the show went on!

-

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 23, 2016 05:49 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well last night it was time to get back to film. Back in 2005 I ran this particular print of "The World's Fastest Indian" the film itself was a huge success out here at the time, and I screened it for many sold out private sessions back then. I do remember getting a call from downstairs one morning to let me know that actress Annie Whittle who played opposite Anthony Hopkins in the film was in the back watching it.

Anyway as the years went by, the print hung around and when we closed I found a new home for it. Its been 11 years since it was last screened, and a few months ago I made the film up and loaded it onto the platter for a screening once again. Its been a while since I have run 35mm, and its certainly easier to put on a dvd/Blu-ray instead, but once the projector started and the platter etc were doing there thing, it was nice to sit back and watch 35mm film once again. It looked great and without doubt there is something special and always will be about the look of film.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 30, 2016 04:15 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Water heating systems and safety concerns vary from a continent to another...
 -
Just remember it when you take your shower in South America (it is 220 volts but I don't think 110 volts would forgive any distraction here). By the way, the slippery floor was challing, too but not photogenic.
 -
Dos these three letters pictured in Ciudad Del Este in Paraguay remind you Something ? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2016 08:35 AM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are finally getting rain, which has broken (for now, anyway) the heatwave - here are some pics of my field in between storms...

-
 -
 -
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 31, 2016 02:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks glorious, Mike!

I get out to wide open spaces as much as I can. There's something good for the soul in being able to see the stars at night, maybe hear some crickets.

--------------------

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2016 05:26 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve! Ive got some stars and crickets in my forcast, leaving tmorrow for 3 days of camping. Will be the first time the girls are joining us guys in the pop up!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 31, 2016 06:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a great your day in pictures, Mike!

Are you doing a campfire? That's one of my favorite parts of it all. You can do the campfire popcorn and the hotdogs on sticks. In the company of adults a little wine in a metal cup heightens the sense of out-doorsy fellowship.

You just need to stay mobile and avoid the smoke!

There's a river out East of us. Next month my son and I are going to pack food, firewood and tent into our canoes and camp overnight on an island halfway down.

Not the first time, but at least he can paddle for himself now!

(Seven Years Ago...)

-

-

-

(-And where's my wife? Other side of the lake with the pop-up!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 31, 2016 07:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael and Steve.. those are brilliant photos [Cool]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 31, 2016 07:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Graham!

This was August, 2009. Steven was seven and I was forty-seven, and beyond our first names we shared something else in common: we'd never been canoe-camping before.

We were at campground up in Western Maine, maybe 50 miles from the Canadian Border. It was 10 miles up a dirt road from a little town of a couple of hundred. There was electricity, but from a diesel generator, and every night at ten sharp the lights went out and there was peace and quiet like you can't begin to imagine. The stars were brighter in the sky than I'd ever seen before.

We never camped there without seeing a Moose at least once!

One night we rented a second site across the lake and paddled over after dinner. We set up the tent and spent the evening making campfire snacks and having seven year old style conversation.

It's cold overnight up in Maine in August, so we bedded down under heavy sleeping bags. About 3 in the morning I woke up to something rustling in the woods behind the site and started to realize how isolated we really were, but it moved on and I fell back to sleep.

The next morning we paddled back over to the main campground and had a good camping breakfast (-nothing to ever mention to your cardiologist!)

-I'll remember that day as long as I live!

--------------------

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2016 06:44 AM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, what a great experience!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 01, 2016 09:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine who is a teacher and a father of three (I'm a father of only one, and the youngest kid in my family...what do I know about raising children?!!) told me it's not so much what you do with them that's important to them, just the fact that you dedicate the time to them.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 01, 2016 05:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A man of much wisdom you have befriended there Steve!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 03, 2016 06:50 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry folks I cant help myself here, came across this really neat photo on an airline Facebook page that I once worked for long long ago... [Wink] [Big Grin]
 -

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2016 08:11 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" starring Daffy Duck !!!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 04, 2016 11:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is dedicated to Steve and all those happy campers [Wink]

https://youtu.be/9jjiWS__Mp0

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC