8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 30)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 19, 2018 08:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no complaints: I went to a really great high school.

My district had five schools and the oldest of the bunch had the vocational-technical programs. My Dad was there 34 years before me and came out an apprentice printer. I changed schools and caught a 6:50AM school bus to go there and came out qualified as an electronic technician.

I loved being there: the bunch of us were like a herd of young scientists and it made learning great.

The day after I graduated I started a part time electronics job, it got me into Engineering School and was my Dad proud!

-not a bad deal!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 19, 2018 10:28 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

This is what they used in schools in Scotland for discipline until the late 1970s would you believe. I guess by that time people attitude to corporal punishment at schools, thankfully got rid of it. What I used to do was to give them the hand I dont write with, as the swelling would make it hard to write, so I would sit on my sore hand until the swelling had gone down.

Girls got the same treatment, the only difference was a book was placed across there wrist to protect it, other than that they got it just like everyone else. Crimes included not doing you homework etc, some teachers could really swing that belt, not like its shown in the below photo, usually standing up with your arm out stretched, some teachers did it, with what seemed like enthusiasm, and after a few direct hits you really felt it.

I would add this was done in front of the class, so no matter how you felt, you had to keep a straight face in front of everyone.

Teaching these days, is a huge improvement in my book, for me I could not get away from the place quick enough, and to this day I dont really care much for teachers. However going to college after leaving high school for my apprentiship was really good. [Smile]
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 23, 2018 12:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorting out stuff I have accumulated over the years, and I must admit being very reluctant to throw things out but somewhere along the line it will all have to go [Frown]

One such item, was this little tin I have had from my motor trade days starting in the late 1960s. My boss in Scotland used to to smoke this stuff in his pipe, obtained from the nearby american submarine base. [Roll Eyes] ...anyway that little tin contains the very needed shims for setting up the valve clearance for engines like the Imp, or the Jaguar XJS engines.

The shims are of different thickness and I keep them soaked in oil...been that way all those years and probably hard to come by these days.

Anyone fixing a cylinder head up on a XJS [Smile]
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 24, 2018 12:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well after a spell of hot dry weather..still is.. I took this photo of the birdies out the front yesterday, for weeks now I have been letting the garden hose trickle a little bit of water in into the birdie bath [Big Grin] ....Its been a very busy spot from morning to night [Big Grin] ...very popular...
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 25, 2018 08:28 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Sign of Spring!

-

Yesterday was the first time since October we didn't drive the entire trip home in the dark! It may be a very early sign of Spring, but right now I'll take it!

(Note: I wasn't driving the car when I took the picture!)

Graham: We're keeping the feeders full! It's the least we can do: our birds are freezing their feathers off!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 09:53 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I love your LGB Mogul under the Christmas Tree. I imagine that this engine was added to a starter set that you previously received or bought. Did you purchase the Mougul new, or second hand?

I can believe the LGB towed a case of beer, because the LGB engines are durable.
I have LGB and the "Post War" Lionel. I also have some USA Trains sold by Charles Ro..

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 25, 2018 02:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike,

I guess it's fair to say the Mogul was added to my original starter set much the same way that Hawaii was "added" to the Original 13 Colonies: it's completely true, it just skips a whole lot of other additions in between!

That was the first of my two really big LGB engines, bought new back around the time I graduated from college. It is actually the first true American prototype engine LGB produced. After UPS dropped it off, the first thing I noticed was it wouldn't go around the curves I owned, and even then the power pack I had would barely budge the thing. This was good for TWO trips to Trainland in Lynbrook and a fair amount of cash across the counter.

It isn't even the heavy hitter anymore: I have the White Pass 6 axle diesel. About two feet long: two motors and 12 pounds! (This was an engagement present from my wife.)

-that one sets the cats running!

(I like to think when I crack the throttle the ceiling lights dim a little, but that's probably wishful thinking!)

The Beer Train was actually a 12 of Fosters (big cans...) at a New Years Eve party back in the early 80s. It wasn't even that large an engine. (Good thing that train didn't tip: the cans would have been full of foam for hours!)

My LGBs have a strong 8mm tie-in. They are the only trains I have ever owned that are big enough to haul a movie camera around, and over the years they have a few times too.

I sold my parents' house (my own home once) last summer. Even though we have our own place for decades now, I regret I will never set foot in my first home again. So I went through the reels and found one of those films.

-I have a room by room tour of my childhood home...by train!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 11:37 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Your story is full of great moments. The Fosters Lager bit is hilarious.

I always loved the LGB 2018D, that engine costing a pretty penny then, and it commands a high resale price on eBay now. What is the most appropriate curved radius for the mogul?

The LGB White Pass 6-axle diesel is a powerful two motor model and testament to the real life engine that keeps trucking tourists through the Yukon Route in Alaska.

You're creativity great, and I wish that I was "ahead of the curve" by making a memorable room train tour, because I'm currently in the process of clearing my parents home. Mom passed a few years ago, and Dad passed last October. My Uncle started me in Lionel Trains in 1962, and my parents began my LGB collection in 1988.

I have Charles Ro's G-Scale USA Trains too, of different motive and rolling stock, a Long Island Railroad NW2 Switcher with a grey body and orange back cab scheme, Tropicana Orange Juice, and Bordens Milk reefers and an NY Central extended vision caboose. I had hoped to build a backyard garden railway; unfortunately, in being consumed with obligations, my trains and films are dormant, and the USA trains remain mint in their boxes.

Check out this captivating: You Tube video of the White Pass train.

Have you, and is there anyone including myself that's collected the Train Films from Blackhawk Films? I love these films in the 16mm edition because some contain live on site recorded sounds while they were filmed and synced later in post-production.

[]_____TT
/ooOOOoo|

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 26, 2018 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought 2018D when I was graduated from college and working, but still living with Mom and Dad...pretty much your perfect storm where hobbyists are concerned! (It only gets to be a problem when it stays this way too long...)

I have a family now: the best I could do these days is stand outside the hobby shop and press my face against the glass...

2018D rides through 7 foot diameter curves. The 4 foot ones are too tight for a machine almost two feet long itself, although the diesel can manage it.

I have no train room. I have no room for a train room...I do have the trains though! A great life's lesson I learned too late is hobbyists shouldn't live in spit levels: the half basement is a hobby killer! I have a nice screening room, because I've managed to blend it into our living space and my wife is a kind, patient soul!

The tour I'm talking about is actually through the living room, down the hall, through the kitchen, into the dining room, under the table, through the arch, under the coffee table and back to the beginning. It's very Gulliver's Travels...what it would look like to somebody maybe 7 inches tall! (Mom and Dad were very patient too...parents of future Engineers often need to be! I took their stuff apart before I became able to fix it!)

My film collection is probably a third to a half railroad films, and it's actually what got me started in the first place.

I have this custom of bringing one really nice sound railroad film to CineSea to be on the big screen and Doug's Xenon GS-1200. Last time was Sunday River Productions' The Complete Silverton. (It was quite a show!)

[ January 26, 2018, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 27, 2018 02:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this really neat "Pan American" poster on the internet, anyway not sure of the year, but I dont remember "Glasgow" ever looking like that, but its a nice bit of false advertising [Cool] [Smile]
 -

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 27, 2018 03:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pan American Airlines, forever immortalized in the opening sequence of 2001 A Space Odyssey.
Who would have thought when Kubrick made the film that PAA would go under before the end of the century.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 05:51 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, both silent and sound I have close to 100 railroad films. Blackhawk, Walton, Fletcher, Derann, Interurban, Mountain, and other one-offs including home movies of railroad action. All are 8mm or super 8. I have only one train film in 16mm....Blackhawk's Hudsons of the NYC....the 16mm stuff is hard to find or I just never see it fast enough to buy. [Smile]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 10:24 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

I logged into my eBay page and created an Advanced Search, with saved keywords as:

16mm steam train , and 16mm diesel train , and 16mm locomotives

Blackhawk films RailRoad films series etc. and occasionally I will receive an alert in my email.

As you mentioned there has not been many Blackhawk Train Films listed on eBay in a while, few and far between, but they do become listed on eBay.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 04:04 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should do what you suggest. I have kept a list of all the Blackhawk train films I see that I don't win or buy and I think the list has more films on it than I actually have in my collection.....Blackhawk made a ton of train films! [Smile]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 08:19 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Try these phrases too: Railway, Blackhawk Railroad Series, and a eBay seller: s.maturin

Some auctions hit high ending auction prices as this one from last November by s.maturin, starting price was $1.00 and ended at $1,025.00, for a 5 minute home movie of the Hiwatha Milwalkee Road

Click the picture that reads: SOLD and the page will display all 44 images when you scroll down to see the frame grabs.

I received this 16mm auction yesterday by: s.maturin
THUNDERING RAILS

s.maturin has twocurrent color 8mm British Railway auctions on eBay. I don't know if these are 8mm or Super 8.
Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway Documentary,

Color 8mm FILM ISLE OF MAN RAILWAY Steam Train ENGLAND documentary MOVIE

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 30, 2018 10:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

-as long as we're on this...railroad track.

I'm in a phase of film I go into every so often. Even though I really enjoy sound, sometimes I turn off the amp and go silent. I've been there all this week.

I have this whole bin full of Sunday River Productions railroad films, many of them silent. A lot of these are historic footage taken a long time ago of places and times that are long gone. Some of this is really beautiful footage and the lab work at Sunday River was as good as it got. If I felt guilty about it these would be a guilty pleasure, but I simply enjoy them and my collection of them has gone up about tenfold since the "end of film". This is where I've been going on screen since the weekend.

Tonight was two Otto Perry films. He was a railroad fan that lived in Denver just around the twilight of the Colorado narrow gauge lines and the end of Steam. He's best known as a still photographer, and you can still buy books of his pictures.

These two films were transferred to Super-8 from 16mm footage Otto Perry shot in the 1940s and 1950s. They show a still photographer's eye for composition and I suspect even somebody that wasn't in it for the trains might appreciate them on that basis alone.

This was on my screen less than an hour ago:

-

What's kind of fun about these is they are amateur footage and don't try to hide it at all. Along with the really wonderful shots are many little goofs that anybody who has handled a movie camera will recognize right away. My favorite among these is every so often he's filming a really long train and as the caboose is passing the camera all of a sudden the train accelerates like it's on a catapult!

-spring powered camera, didn't quite make it to the end of the shot.

My wife asked me tonight when I'm going back to sound.

-couple more days, but for now Silents is golden!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 03, 2018 03:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not very big on sequels, but...

I liked this other screenshot, too, so why not?

-

There's an interesting detail in this picture. If you look below the right edge of the screen, you see the image reflected off the top of my video projector. When it's positioned for projection it's kind of in the way, so it and its table get moved out of the way until showtime. Here it is sitting waiting for a job to do.

I stay set up for Super-8 basically full time. Being a great medium for shorts it's perfect for spur if the moment viewing. Here, video is almost entirely for features: more a weekends only kind of thing.

(We'll bust into a little 16mm tomorrow too!)

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 03, 2018 03:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great screen shot Steve! Just how big is that screen?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 03, 2018 03:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Paul,

Thanks!

It's 52" by 92", but being that it's a 16:9 screen and a 4:3 image I only get to take advantage of the 52" in this case.

It's also good for about 3 feet tall in 'scope.

It hangs inside a bay window behind the curtains: this was the biggest screen I could fit!

Someday I'm going to mount a movie camera where my projectors sit and film some antics through the bay window: it'll make a great opening short! ( I have a teenage son: he's basically built of antics!)

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2018 08:01 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Did you attend Sewanhaka Central High School District #2?
I grew up there.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 03, 2018 08:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very much so!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2018 09:33 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Great H.S.

While attending EMHS, Sewanhaka was during my HS was for grades 9-12 and the Voc Tech Program was incomparable.

Are you aware that Sewanhaka expanded the building behind the school?

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 03, 2018 09:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've heard!

I was in the neighborhood last Spring and dropped by just to wonder how I got old so fast!

(Time flies when you're having fun, so I must be having a BALL!!!)

I saw the addition out the back of the gym, but just the beginnings of it.

Local friends who are also alumnus say the architecture doesn't quite blend, but I guess that's a lot to ask for on a budget.

I jumped ship from H. Frank Carey at the start of 10th grade to join Technical Electricity and Electronics: to this day I've never regretted it.

Dad grew up near Belmont Park: class of 1946: graphic arts. (Formidable Scrabble opponent! Could spell ANYTHING!)

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 08, 2018 09:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Olympics at Last!

-

My wife and I have been saying we'd like to put the Winter Olympics up on my movie screen for at least two Winter Olympics now.

Well, I finally rounded up the last of the pieces to make it happen last week and as of tonight we've actually pulled it off!

(There's HDMI cable running across the floor tonight...)

-she got her figure skating tonight, and I'm looking forward to bobsled.

Believe it or not, a Super-8 projector is playing a critical role here. Just the same as it has been for years the entire audio chain is grounded through an Elmo sound projector.

(I just got two Blackhawks from Zechariah Sporre: the Super-8 machine will go active again this weekend.)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 09, 2018 12:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Steve thats a stunning picture...is that your Epson?

Funny thing I posted an old photo of yours truly taken in the early 1960s on "Ritchie's Ferries" on a crossing from Gourock to Kilcreggin on the "Firth of Clyde" to a Scottish facebook page on the Clyde. One person made the comment the boat was called The Tigeres [Big Grin] ...its amazing the information people have and willing to share through the internet [Smile]
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC