8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 36)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 24, 2018 03:21 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your explanation 🙂

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 25, 2018 01:31 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Steve

Is Steven going to a driving school? Out here I would encourage anyone learning, to take a driving defensive coarse, they have cars rigged to do all kinds of things and the kids are taught how to get out of spins etc, all done in a controlled environment.

Out here if you learn to drive a manual, you can also drive an automatic as well. However if they are taught only in a auto they cant drive a manual, so its best to start learning in a manual car.

I did make the big mistake of trying to teach both Steven and April when they turned 16 to drive. April got in a huff with me, got out slammed the door, and said something along the lines she was walking home. [Roll Eyes]

Steven...well he was another case of not listing. I spent most of my time shouting "SLOW DOWN YOU ARE GOING TO FAST" stamping my foot at some imaginary brake pedal. [Mad]

The last person I tried to teach was young Chis from the cinema, who had saved up and bought an old manual Toyoto Corrolla, as at the time was not getting anywhere with the driving school so I thought I could help....another mistake
I do remember his younger brother in the back shouting "FASTER FASTER" and we were already doing 100km. The glazed look on both of them made me decide "ENOUGH" I am outa here [Smile]

I will never ever attempt to teach anyone else to drive... leave that to the professionals [Big Grin]

Here is a picture of the manual DX Corrolla that April and Steven learned in....the poor car never had a chance [Frown]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 25, 2018 08:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

His high school offers Driver's Education next year. To register for it we need to have permit in hand. That's a big part of what's going on here.

There's no hurry here: I passed my road test when I was 17 and a half and that's young enough! The roads here are often very busy and throwing an inexperienced driver into the maelstrom is not a smart thing to do!

In the meantime there are plenty of sheltered places to practice and we'll slowly build him up. He will also learn how to drive with a trailer, check and change oil, learn what all the stuff with hoses and wires coming in and out under the hood is and how to load canoes and or bikes on a roof rack. (That's mostly for me!)

-like owning a bear rug except you have to feed it too!

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 26, 2018 03:43 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever get the feeling we are being watched? [Smile]
 -

Greg May
Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2018 11:19 AM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at everyone's posts, I felt inspired to do a little write up of my own.

For the past seven years, I've worked in broadcasting. Ranging from being a board operator, producer, assistant production manager, and show host I've done a little bit of everything. I've worked at many stations throughout the Philadelphia area. Today is a bookmark in that chapter of my life.

Earlier this month I accepted a role in the world of IT. The broadcasting world tends to be a roller coaster whether it be sanity or salary. That being said in 2016 I went back to school. I already have a B.A. in Radio, TV, and Film production. As of the 5th of November I'll be adding to that with a B.S. in Information Systems. This coming Monday, I will be putting it to work when I begin the new job.

This is not a complete goodbye from radio though. I am only scaling back. I'll continue to host my overnight show (pre-recorded) Monday through Friday. I could not see myself breaking away from radio completely. I still enjoyed what I did, but I am also excited to start a new chapter. I figured I would share a few pictures of my studio to go along with this.

Here's to new beginnings!

A look at the main desk. (Sneaking the forum when I have a free minute)

-

Even though I had limited wall space in here, I'd like to print out pictures every now and then and throw them on the cork board.

-

Counting down the days, we are finally here at the last day.

-

[ October 26, 2018, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Greg May ]

--------------------
16MM: EIKI SNT-0, EIKI NT-0
8MM: ELMO ST-600M

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 26, 2018 12:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, Greg!

This is very much in the spirit of "Your today in pictures.": just random, interesting stuff from around the world!

I think Radio is a great medium, because of the way it makes the listener engage their imagination.

You fit the CineSea profile pretty well: we have a lot of people involved in media in many ways (filmmakers, radio broadcasters, cinema projectionists.) I just do circuits: I'm one of the useful, yet not nearly so fascinating!

--------------------

Greg May
Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2018 12:33 PM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve!

When I first started in radio it seemed much more personal, between the host and the listener. I hosted a variety of shows at my college radio station and we had a decent amount of listener engagement. I still host a show there once a month highlighting music from the 1940's-70's.

It is a little different now. Everything is pre-recorded here for the most part. It takes some of the magic away in a sense.

That being said, I'm happy to be among similar folks when it comes to the CineSea family!

--------------------
16MM: EIKI SNT-0, EIKI NT-0
8MM: ELMO ST-600M

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 29, 2018 03:10 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Greg [Smile]

Saturday afternoon I shut myself away in the garage and watched some films on the Bauer. Its quite a contrast to the new city cinema, with its plush reclining seats that has just opened. In this case, its one fold up chair between the bike and lawn mower. The down side to this, is when I close the garage door from the inside, its very hard to get out. I can adjust the volume from inside the garage. Its amazing how loud it is on the outside,.... so I have been told. [Roll Eyes] [Wink]
 -
 -
When you close the door, the screen "an old roller blind" swings back.
 -

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2018 04:43 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great garage Graham! [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2018 09:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and that's just his garage!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 29, 2018 08:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill and Steve

I did promise Yvonne that there would still be room for our cars, both now 20 year old Starlets. If you look at the center photo, you can see two white paited bits of wood that are dyna bolted to the concrete floor, so when we drive in, the front tyres hit them, so we cant go through the wall [Smile] . It leaves about 2 inches at the front and about the same at the rear of the car for the garage door to just shut [Roll Eyes]

Its a squeeze, but the garage is not all cinema, like I promised [Wink] Taking up any more room, we would have to get something like a Fiat Bambina.. [Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 31, 2018 02:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amphibious landing at the Ocean Holiday

This is kind of a Cinesea activity, but since it’s not a very group activity I decided it didn’t really think it belonged in Claus’ photo essay.

This is actually kind of a sad story. It’s the difference between childhood and adulthood: too little wisdom vs. not enough spare time and energy and what those both can do to a project.

When I was 12 years old I borrowed a book on building model cars from the public library. The author had built this spectacular working model of a WWII US Army amphibious Jeep. I wanted one badly, so I built one the way a 12 year old would: also badly. The plans were 1/3 size, and since I was too lazy to manually blow them up point by point, line by line, I made the thing about six inches long.

-it ran on AA batteries so it needed new batteries constantly, the prop was too small to make any usable thrust, the hardware and materials were too often what I could scrape up at home, the craftsmanship was so-so: it was actually kinda crappy!

Years later, after technical school, after engineering school, armed with scanners, computers, printers, algebra, trigonometry, calculus and adulthood, I decided I was going to do it again, and finally do it right!

I went back to my hometown, and went to the library: “Building and Operating Model Cars” had been off the shelves for decades (-and it felt a little creepy to be in the youth section in my forties!). It was the Millennium, it didn’t matter: I found one on E-bay. I scanned the plans in, bought a set of wheels, scaled the printouts to the wheels. I was on my way!

The original was finished in about 6 weeks the summer when I was between 6th and 7th grade. Surely with my advanced knowledge, tools and techniques I could finish the new one in a few months! (Right?)

Ten years later…

-I was about half finished!

I'm not very proud of this: part of the reason i did it was to show my son how projects are done. (This will have to be useful as a bad example!)

Sometimes I ran into a problem I couldn’t easily solve. Being I’m no longer 12 years old I couldn’t just sweep the problem under the rug (Hey! This method got me through Junior High!). I had to come up with some elegant solution, and while I was waiting for the light to dawn the thing sat up on top of the china closet for a year. (I way, way overthink this thing!)

Of course I couldn't accept the plans as the author designed them: mine had to be better! ("Instructions! -HAH!")

Most times it’s just regular old-fashioned laziness: do I want to watch a film or lay on the couch and read, or do I want to get all the tools out, do some actual work and wind up leaving sawdust all over the floor?

I decided this project had a personnel problem: the “employee” that was making that problem was me! I needed to rally the "staff" and get this thing done!

In a vast cosmic sense, it doesn’t matter if I ever get this model completely built: the world will go on. Since I had a fake problem, I needed a fake motivation. This came in the form of the swimming pool at the Ocean Holiday.

I’ve made it a personal goal to sail this little Jeep with my son at every CineSea when I know there will be water in the pool.

-

This management method has actually worked! The first time I successfully closed up the hull and installed the sea motor and prop. This last time I relocated the batteries astern so the bow rides high and it sails straighter.

The military nickname for these is “Seep” (Sea Jeep), and no nickname ever fit better! Every time I sail it under some different set of conditions, some leak lets a teaspoon of water in some compartment. I take it home, give some attention to that porous seam, and prepare to head back to the waves next time.

I’d say we are now at about 85%. The thing runs on land and water, the entire hull is built and is mostly water tight. The top deck is cut out.

-All it needs is wiring, the top structure built up and painting.

When I get those few, small things done it will look like this:

-

What do you think? Maybe another ten years?

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 31, 2018 03:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I just happened to catch the voyage of the Seep from a higher angle.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 31, 2018 03:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Doug!

That's our "control system": it's kind of like very slow tennis!

Theoretically I could have made it radio control...but life is too short!

One thing I've learned for sure is the next time I build a model, I want it to be from a kit: all the parts, all the plans, all the materials in a nice box!

-

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 01, 2018 05:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Steve [Cool]

Look forward to seeing it completed soon [Smile]

Yvonne and I were out shopping this week when she handed me this very 50 cent coin which is doing the rounds at the moment here is a couple of photos I took of it. Its legal tender and on the edge it states "Eleventh Hour Of The Eleventh Day Of The Eleventh Month"

Its to commemorate the "centenary" of the day in 1918 when the guns fell silent along the Western Front. The First World War had effectively ended and to honour all those that served.
 -
 -

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2018 05:49 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a nice looking coin.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 04, 2018 03:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill

I came across a very interesting interview of a documentary by Peter Jackson called "They Shall Not Grow Old" What is so interesting, is that for the first time the massive computer stuff he used in NZ for Lord Of The Rings etc for CGI effects, is being used for restoring footage from World War One.

The technology he has at his disposal is really amazing and the results shown here are truly remarkable. I really does open up a new more advanced restoration of all old films.

https://youtu.be/QfomV9GrL6c

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 04, 2018 07:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

It was one of those great Fall afternoons today: clear skies, just a hint of chill in the air. I went paddling with some friends on a local river.

You have to do these things in their season: the days are getting shorter and not long from now there just might be an inch of ice up there!

It wasn't like the last time I went canoeing: no tents, no firewood, no sleeping bags, no food. -just a cellphone, a pocket knife and my wallet. It felt good to travel light!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 04, 2018 10:52 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff Steve [Cool]

I came across this old photo that must be around 20 years old. We used to have home film shows every fortnight at peoples homes around the city during the winter months. It was up to the host to pick something of interest that hopefully would keep us all awake [Big Grin]

That did not always work [Smile] but it was more of a social night out, with a cup of tea/coffee and eats if you survived it. I went along for most likely a good ten years. Sadly many in this photo have now passed away.
 -

That me in the back row far left with the blue shirt. Mostly the features were on 16mm with some 8mm but not much.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 05, 2018 10:20 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a circle of friends that regularly gets together for game nights, and dinner out and other things (Actually, it's the same bunch I canoed with yesterday).

-next event: Movie Night at the Klares.

Shorts are always 8 or 16, and the feature is 8 or digital video.

Showmanship is a part of this hobby: it's better when you don't always keep it to yourself!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 09, 2018 03:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After posting this short video I had a surprise visitor this week. The projectionist I trained up when he was just 15 years old at the cinema saw the video, and that prompted him to call round, plus also the fact he was doing electrical work at a new high school down the road.

It was great to catch up, now married with a wee one, how time passes. When he was at the cinema, I suggested he should get a trade, electrician being one. He followed through with that idea and is fully qualified and doing really well.

I remember back when I was leaving school at 15 years, my fathers advice to me was simple...get a trade.. [Big Grin] and its something I never regreted doing. It allowed me to immigrate to NZ, and that in turn opened up other oportunities to move into other things like aviation.

For a while trades seemed to go out of fashion, as it seemed everyone wanted to be managers, but as I said when he called around the other day, you can do other things, but having those qualifications and experence is your insurance policy to obtaining employment in other countries...its your back up. [Wink] [Smile] .

https://youtu.be/MdODc7bBeBQ

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 10, 2018 11:37 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look closely you might just see our we house with its red roof [Smile]

Fantastic photos taken of the "South Island" this week by German astronaut Alexander Gerst, from the International Space Station [Cool]
 -
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 14, 2018 08:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yvonne and I were out shopping this week and decided to pay a visit to the mall where the cinema once was
"its been a while". It will be seven years tomorrow when it closed. Anyway to commemorate we had a coffee in the spot directly below where the cinema once stood [Frown]

I did wonder if our old cinema ghost is still lurking around [Big Grin]

https://youtu.be/xVKa3yNVINo

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 16, 2018 07:37 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As its now the seventh anniversary of the cinema closing I was going through some old photos two caught my eye..

This one was taken on 35mm slide film at the time of our last school holidays when those young ladies cut up 24 frames out of old "G" rated trailers to give away downstairs. During that final week we gave away a lot of movie posters and film...
 -
This last photo I later showed to the young lady after we closed. She did not realise that young Chris had been giving her the "rabbit ears" behind her, come to think about it he did the same to me in a later photo [Roll Eyes] [Smile]
 -
I always think that cinemas attract some interesting characters... [Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 25, 2018 04:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Longwood Gardens

-

We're just home from Thanksgiving with Family, west of Philadelphia. A local tradition down there is Christmas at Longwood Gardens. We often go the Friday after Thanksgiving day.

The cold night air and about a billion watts of Christmas lighting are a pretty strong reminder that the Season is on its way once again!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC