8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » What 9.5mm films have you watched this week? (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Author Topic: What 9.5mm films have you watched this week?
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 12, 2016 02:05 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday night, Les chevaliers de la montagne (Knights Of The Mountain).

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 12:51 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight Gangs Incorporated (aka Paper Bullets) (Pathescope 9.5 SOUND , T9656 6 x 300) on my Elf which it seems might be one of the only 110v modified Elfs so I feel extremely lucky....Fun little crime drama with Joan Woodbury (as a brunette and a blonde)and a bit role from Alan Ladd but it looks like the cuts come near the end because the second half wraps up rather quickly..

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 24, 2016 03:04 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mon oncle et mon curé. Good copy, almost no lines at all.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 03, 2016 05:05 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Clean Shaven Man (Popeye), South Seas Sweetheart and three musical miniatures.

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 05, 2016 02:33 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's baseball season and I needed a film to test my new LED bulb in my Pathe Baby. So I picked a reel called "Baseball Form" from my collection. In todays SF Giants game (we lost)... the pitcher, Jake Peavey, could have taken some tips from this film [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 05, 2016 06:32 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Janice who put some pictures taken from her Pathé Baby projections, I wanted to screen some notched films. I took my Pathé Coq d'Or out but for some unknown reason, the motoe belt was missing (I haven't used it for a while). So I had to use the handcrank. Due to the effort needed, I limited the projection to three 20 mt / 60ft cartridges :-) So I had : Le Bosphore, Le lac de Lucerne and Culture du coton au Soudan, three documentaries. I will try to find a sizeable belt in a DOY shop tomorrow.

--------------------
Dominique

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 12:57 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I watched Avions De Proie (aka Wolves of the Air -1927,notched...5x60ft FR, pathe 3025) with a great cast of Johnnie Walker, Lois Boyd, Maurice Costello, and even William Boyd and directed by serial veteran Francis Ford which explained the great aerial action stunts....I used my Bolex DA to fill my 8 foot screen, which is surprisingly bright for a notched projector...I still want to find a better lens..

-

-

[ May 11, 2016, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Dino Everette ]

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2016 01:07 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight Paul Parrott in Take The Air (1923, pathescope S563 300ft notched)

-

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2016 11:42 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight was Drusilla With A Million(aka Les Millions De Drusilla, pathe 3007 6x60ft, notched) from 1925 starring Mary Carr as a nice old lady Drusilla Doane who always wanted children and who inherits a million dollars. Priscilla Bonner is a woman down on her luck who abandons her baby at the home where Drusilla is living...Kenneth Harlan is a man overlooking the money who falls for Bonner. Turns out Bonner is the real heir to the money and one can imagine the happy go lucky ending for this FBO programmer....These are the rare little films that pop up on 9.5 that you just wont get to see otherwise....Not great, but not bad either, and a chance to expand your knowledge of many actors...

-

-

-

-

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2016 01:10 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight was the Jimmie Adams comedy BANG(Pathescope SB801, 1921) along with Fur and Feathers which is an excerpt from this film....Does anyone have a copy of The Alarum Clock they want to sell so I can have all the pathescope shorts from this Jimmie Adams comedy?

-

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 18, 2016 05:50 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, a song : The Last Round, then two documentaries : Denizens Of The Wild and The Homes Of Our King. Due to time shortage, I could not prepare (Filmguarding, repsooling) other films for tonight. It happens sometime that the first time I project a film, the preparation takes almost the same time that watching it. In some cases, with very damaged films (you have to fix a lot of perforations), it takes even more time than projecting it (but the second time you Watch it, you're so happy...)

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 19, 2016 03:49 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Coronation Of H M Elisabeth. After yesterday's film about the homes of the King, it was a logical choice :-) The good surprise is that the film is followed by a Queen Trailer (so I got a second one). I Wonder if in the British cinémas, there is still a Queen trailer shown and if not, when it would have been cancelled from the programmation.

--------------------
Dominique

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2016 04:23 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dom, Re. Queen Trailer. I have the 9.5 Sound version of this and used to tag it on at the end of my home cinema shows. It has not been used in the commercial cinemas for many years. It used to be shown at the end of the last performance in the days of continuous performances. It probably ended when these did. Perhaps an ex projectionist member can respond to your question. I do remember that different circuits had different versions depending, as far as I remember, which newsreel company they used. The old ABC circuit used Pathe, Gaumonts used Gaumont British, , Odeons used British Paramount or Movietone I think!! Ken Finch.:

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 20, 2016 02:30 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for those precisions, Ken. I didn't know the Queen trailer was shown at the end of the last show. I hope we can get more informations about dates.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 27, 2016 07:24 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sound film "Le commissaire est bon enfant" and then a silent one "Double Patte et Patachon : les vedettes". Double Patte et¨Patachon are two Danish comic actors (Fy og Bi), I found on the Net that their name were Long and Short in the UK and Ole and Axel in the US.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 06:53 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
L'inévitable monsieur Dubois, a French film from 1943.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 01, 2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josette, with the famous actor Fernandel (and his daughter !). Fernandel sings in this film.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 07, 2016 04:44 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A French comedy : Florence est folle (Florence is crazy).

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 22, 2016 06:01 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, silent Pathé Baby cartridges (called "carters" in French, a different translation for the word cartridges than the ones used in cameras, these are aclled "chargeurs", I don't know if in English there is another word than "cartridges"). Among the films, a cartoon (in three 20 mt parts), obviousely American with a mix of designs and film, the story is based on Jack And The Giant Bean. Today, a sound documentary : Les christaux (cristals) with a commentary full of poetry :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 02, 2016 04:43 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to Watch films I already mentionned here : first two musicals in English : "British Lion" and "My Girl Loves A Sailor", then an optimistic French musical film : "Feux de joie", released in 1938. It is sad to think that soon after the young singers played in this movie, the WWII started.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 31, 2016 04:28 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big evening : my first projection after three weeks far from home. I watched a musical film with Jack Hylton : Sha Shall Have Music.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 01, 2016 06:26 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adventures Of Popeye. I watched it twice as the sound was awful. It took me the whole reel to fix it (actually long time to see what the problem was then a few seconds when I found it). Mix cartoon and real characters (children). Then The Last Adventurers. What a fantastic gauge. You not only can watch real film but you do it with an historic medium that was born in 1922.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 21, 2016 05:14 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to watch a sound film with my new Buckingham, set until tonight on the 16fps position. It took me a "certain time" to understand how to switch to 24fps. It was not only a question of moving a belt as there was also a piece (the 16 fps one) to replace by another (the 18/24 fps one). Finally when it seemed to work more or less, I checked with a cartoon and to my big surprise, it was ok. Then I choosed a feature in French (to be sure to be able to see if the speed was ok) and it was perfectly set at 24fps. The film was Dernier atout, mounted on a 800 mt spool. I wish I was still on Holiday to watch more films but I sadly have to go to work tomorrow.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 25, 2016 06:35 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First a cartoon, that is supposed to be from the Steve The Horse serie as Grahame Newnham's site says that Steve's French name was Poulichette. The title is : "A la manière de Bozambo" (Steve is in the jungle and has to escape canibals), but I could not find it in Grahame's list of French sound films and from the summaries of the six épisodes, I could not identify it. I think I saw this cartoon at a Group 9.5 projection. Maybe the French release is an extract ? If anyone has any idea...Second, a film I got for free but that is sadly is very poor condition. It is the first part of a two reelers (second part is, of course missing) and is about the 40 first years of cinema. There is an interview (probably around 1935) of one of the Lumière brothers. The film has some part of the pictures "faded" and the sound (for that reason as it is optical) is not good. I ended with a film I bought yesterday although it was not scheduled. I was buying another title and told the seller that I had been surprised to see on his site the film "Feux de joie" advertised in three reels as it is supposed to be a two reelers (my copy, bought already mounted on a larger spool, is that lenght and the 9.5 catalogue says the same). We checked the spools and leaders and there were numbered 1 to 3. So, for more than 20 years, I had had an incomplete film (but with a understandable story of course). I finally saw was was not on my copy. It is nice to have surprises like that.

--------------------
Dominique

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2016 01:12 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cartoon is STEVE OF THE RIVER, a takeoff of "Sanders of the River".

All times are Central
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC