No announcement yet.

Wolverine-Hawkeye Telecine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can tell you I did see kangaroos and coyotes running rampant after a whole day of fine soldering yesterday David. Today was a much easier task soldering the rest of the power components. Will test for power up tomorrow. 14 boards lined up on my window sill.
    But, anyways back to our discussion.
    Wolverine could detect stuck film. This could be a feature of the time lapse cam that they use. It detects scenery transitions. If detected their controller can just stop the stepper by sending the stepper off signal to the power supply. That is how I do it when you turn off the run switch. The film is not damaged because the claw slips under the film. I,e, tries to pull it and the film slips and the claw goes under it.

Now, with our capstan we detect the missing pulses from the motor encoder. When this happens a pulse gets generated every 10 seconds to the capstan motor until the condition persists. Upon detecting the condition it would be easy to turn the stepper off. No hardware changes and a simple MSP firmware change. And quite frankly, I do not want to redo these boards.

Comment

• Hi Stan & David, when my film jammed due to a bad splice, luckily I was monitoring the Hawkeye and able to stop it quickly. No damage was caused but I am now reluctant to capture unattended.

If a reliable mechanism could be found to stop the stepper motor in the event of a jam, I would be all for this, less to worry about if not sitting next to the Hawkeye.

Stan thanks for the hard work. We would not want you to redo the the boards either, so much effort on your part to get to this stage.

Capturing is slow whatever speed one uses, so would prefer that the process were more reliable and safe (film jamming). Sitting next to the Hawkeye for hours, watching each frame slowly change position in the gate as the take up reel diameter changes (and therefore the amount of tension on the film) is tedious. Constant adjustments have to be made.

Regards - Bruce

Comment

• Bruce, since you have the capstan all you need is the fw change to turn the stepper off when jam is detected. I would have to test that and can implement it in V12 fw. But would have to make sure it does not kick in for the installations without capstan.
        I run my films in almost complete auto mode and very happy with the results.

Comment

• STAN ! I've not laughed so hard since you "...zapped my MSP.. " Click image for larger version

Name:	zapped.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	8163

(
          http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011395;p=52)

I have a module (never opened the box) to flash my MSP if this feature proves incompatible for those without capstans. I think it would also resolve, the unlikely case, where the film breaks after the gate, and piles up on the floor. I watch the capture for 10 minutes and if thing are going well, I leave the room.

So, please make that the last soldering marathon!!!

Comment

• Stan, I assume your positive results are due to using the new v12 board and firmware (with separate short electric pulse/signal to the take up real). If need be I can copy your new configuration and remove the capstan to get a better outcome.

David, can I ask you which MSP programmer you purchased, if Stan were in agreement, it would make more sens to flash my own MSP rather than the expense of having one shipped from the USA to Aust every time changes are made.
            By the way I decided on the new monitor, the BenQ PD3200U, it has accurate colour reproduction although only to 100% sRGB, this is an older model. The new model being the PD3220U, it has a larger colour pallete etc. but more than I was willing to spend on a monitor.
            https://www.benq.com/en-au/monitor/designer/pd3200u.html

Regards - Bruce

Comment

• Glad I made your day a bit happier David. There are no hw changes to implement the mod. But you do need the capstan with the motor. The reason is that the motor has the encoder at the back to tell the msp that the film is advancing (capstan rotating). So it is an msp firmware mod only. And by all means I prefer that you guys have MSP programming capability. Not here to make any money really.
              Let me have a look at it and then we go from there.
              Regards,
              Stan

Comment

• Hello everybody. I hope you are all doing very well.
                Stan, this mod looks very interesting.(another welcome improvement, thanks Stan),
                I bought this module to flash the MSP but not yet tried.,
                https://www.digikey.fr/product-detai...ce=google_utm=

Comment

• Looks good Kamel. This is where I got it:
                  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPLQS58

The msp430 part number is:
                  MSP430G2231IN14

Comment

• https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPLQS58 I opened the box, it's in there.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	usb.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	8228
                    Bruce, those 4k monitors can be pretty expensive, but your eyes will thank you. The CAD/CAM mode sounds interesting. Is that more than just extra contrast?

For those who might not know, [CTRL]+[mouse wheel] with Windows, will become your new best friend after 4k! Text can be pretty small.

Comment

• Early, but the only comment I have for Kamel's Hawkeye covers is the missing door on the bottom.

Name:	IMG_20200422_133341361_HDR.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	8284Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-04-22 172538.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	8285
                      This might be something that somebody wants included, I don't. This door provides access to the claw sensor and the super8/8mm sensor. Hawkeye is not using the super8/8mm electronic switch, just the physical switch. I would suggest removing all covers to replace the claw sensor.
                      Even then it is unlikely that it will fail. I zapped mine.

I put this assembly together without the circuit board or the fan. I don't have any panel switches yet. I will do that next.
                      This is just for "show and tell".

Name:	_DSC1178.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	8286Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1184.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	8287Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1185.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	8288

Comment

• That looks pretty cool David. You will have a pretty sharp little unit there.
                        V12 update.
                        Ran through 10 boards testing the power cct. They all passed. Then number 11 no power. No power either with unit 12. Then plugged the unit 9 back in and.... no power.
                        Ok, I know that my trusted test unit had some issues with the power ribbon cable after all the use and abuse. Pulled it out and looked under the microscope. This is what I saw:
                        https://photos.app.goo.gl/9TqDBnvCtmJQgHkW6
                        Ouch..
                        But that got me thinking. There is enough of connector in there that it could probably be trimmed. Took the old trusted scissors out and snip, snip and this is what I ended up with:
                        https://photos.app.goo.gl/vpirg6WNUrkbRMR58

Plugged it back in and...
                        https://photos.app.goo.gl/FtxDDurC86DQJVD38

Back in business. Completed the rest of the boards. The power works great on all of them.
                        Will start on speed control cct tomorrow.

Comment

• Thank you David for your feedback.
                          I will try to design the small door below (tonight).
                          I will probably have to redo the command panel depending on the number of switches buttons used.

Stan would it be possible to have a wiring diagram of the different V12 switches buttons
                          (I did not find it in your last documentation).
                          Of course, when you can, I know you are already very very busy.
                          Thanks in advance.

Comment

• No problem Kamel. I will need it also.

Comment

• Awesome solution Stan! I've opened and closed that connector so many times I will need to check mine. Sometimes I switch on and have no power, I had to reconnect it. I will look at the wiring diagram, but I have to wonder how many of those connectors are used? 20 lines is the reason for the small size, seems like too many.

I think I'll see if those are available, deliveries are so slow, I might need a new one after a couple of "haircuts".

Comment

• Thanks David. The shave-and-haircut solution works but if you keep connecting and disconnecting the flex it will eventually wear out beyond repair.
                                Here is the pinout:

J17 PINOUTS:

PiN3 12V SUPPLY
                                PIN9 SW 12V
                                PIN11 SW 5V
                                PIN13 MD3 MICRO STEP MODE
                                PIN14 MD2 MICRO STEP MODE
                                PIN15 MD1 MICRO STEP MODE
                                PIN16 OE
                                PIN17 FR
                                PIN19 STEP
                                PIN20 GND

Start counting from the top (dot).

Looks like the cable is available from this source:
                                https://americas.rsdelivers.com/prod...tch-20/7608759

It is out of stock currently by should be available in June which is totally OK by me.

BTW - loss of power means wear in proximity of pin 3...

Comment

Working...
                                X