No announcement yet.

Wolverine-Hawkeye Telecine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if the mounting will be different David. The hole spacing is the same which is a good starting point:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	new_camera.png Views:	0 Size:	74.6 KB ID:	9741
    Not sure about the lens mount. Will check with the supplier.
    37UX has
    Pixel size H: 2.4 µm, V: 2.4 µm
    72BUC has:
    Pixel size H: 2.2 µm, V: 2.2 µm
    Pretty close so should be able to use the same lens.

Update: OEM will be sending me the price.
    Last edited by Stan Jelavic; May 14, 2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Feeling the "need for speed"?

This 37ux178 is a usb3 Sony Starvis sensor with back-side illumination. It has been the leading bullet point for Sony dslrs for the last couple of years. Sony and Nikon (who uses Sony sensors) capture more light than similar sensors. I've see it described as about 1/2 stop more light.

It is more than twice the price of the 72buco2.

Comment

• Yeah, it is lot's more money but it is out there along the side with other possible solutions. I have not spent much time on it. Also will be getting the price for 37ux226-ml. It ain't gonna be cheap either.
        This week was the solder-solder-solder and more solder week. The food started tasting like solder flux. But, on a positive note, finished all of the circuits on all 14 boards except for USB. That one is pretty easy. The switches are next. Pretty fiddly job. Not my favorite, but hey someone's gotta do it. Why do I see fingers pointing my way

Comment

• Hi Stan, was hoping to get away from rolling shutter cameras, but it seems they are prohibitively expensive.

As mentioned in my previous post, was capturing a 7 inch reel of S8 at 1FPS, some was filmed inside a church and did not notice until post processing that these frames suffered from the rolling shutter effect. Re-captured these at 0.5FPS and the images turned out fine.

Some manufacturers using the Sony STARVIS IMX178LQJ sensor are using 36mm x 36mm boards. Not sure if the 36x36 camera boards are electronically superior due to perhaps more components.

Stan you commented "60 plus FPS (plus at lower rez)", existing camera is 2,592×1,944 and the Sony 3,072×2,048, not sure what you meant.

I know you are currently very busy building boards, when you have some time could you perhaps look at the faster camera with a lens that will allow the actual S8 frame to cover most of the sensor area. No point in spending the extra money if we end up only utalising the smaller area of a sensor as is currently the case.

One comment I read about these Sony sensors was that one could not capture a smaller sensor area with variable adjustable FPS (not sure if this is correct or if it makes any difference).

Thanks and regards - Bruce

P.S. can we use this camera in 14 bit.
          Last edited by Bruce Davis; May 15, 2020, 02:29 AM.

Comment

• An updated version is available :-
            IC Capture image acquisition v2.5.1525.3931 Released May 11, 2020

https://www.theimagingsource.com/pro.../dfm72buc02ml/

Comment

• Hi Bruce, not sure about the 36mm board advantage but it may not fit.
              Here is some data from IDS
              https://en.ids-imaging.com/store/ui-3882le.html

Looks like the AOI can be adjusted.
              https://en.ids-imaging.com/fpscalc.html?id=91

and accordingly the frame rate goes up with the smaller AOI. But 58 FPS is more than adequate for our application.

I also noticed that the camera is 12 bit:
              https://en.ids-imaging.com/IDS/datas...hp?sku=AB00868

That would significantly improve the dynamic range.
              Actually the 30mm board from ImagingSource is also 12 bit.

Regarding the rolling shutter effect at 1 FPS. The pre V12 boards did not have adjustable trigger. In V12 the camera trigger is adjustable which allows more time for the camera to capture the image. The very dark scenes that I tested are OK at 1 FPS with the new trigger.

Here is the quote for the UI-3882LE

QTY P/N DESCRIPTION NET OEM PRICE EACH
              1-9 IDS-UI-3882LE-C Camera, USB 3.1 Gen. 1 TypeC, CMOS, 58.7 fps, 3088 x 2076, 6.41 MPix, 1/1.8", Sony, Rolling Shutter, C-/CS-mount $455
              Pretty prices and there are other issues - not sure if it has 12mm mount etc.

Last edited by Stan Jelavic; May 15, 2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• 14 boards done. Starting with switches.

Comment

• Stan, thanks, I did see this IDS version of the board while browsing, thanks for the links, I am not an expert on any of this complicated electronics so your guidance/recommendation would be needed.

The price is certainly much higher, $300 from oemcameras web page (before the quote) to $455, plus 12mm lens mount would be important if the current lens can be re-used.

So the problem with the rolling shutter I encountered is due to the original camera trigger timing. Would it be true to say, that with the IMX178LQJ sensor camera, the original timing could be left as is.

Regards - Bruce

Comment

• Hi, Stan.

Have the people that you are building the current set of boards for been notified? Sorry to appear impatient since I appreciate the enormous amount of research and work that has gone into this, but I am confused about the order in which requests are being processed on the spreadsheet. There's a section at the bottom of the spreadsheet that I think was the original list and then a section at the top that was added later specifically for the V-12 boards. Thanks.

Comment

• Bruce, I am not sure what the 36mm board brings in. I looked at the spec comparison and did not see nothing significantly different. The imagingsource camera, either the one I picked or the one that David picked look interesting.
                      You can test the FPS by running your church scene and cutting down the resolution and increasing the FPS until the smear is gone. Also worth noting is that both of these cameras have 12 bit interface (would have to verify that). The 16 mm lens that David used seems like a good choice for higher resolutions. I can come up with a small camera interface board that would allow for better centering which is needed for higher resolutions.
                      Gary, I revised the spreadsheet. The V12 tab shows V12 orders only. Currently I have 13 boards that people ordered originally (14 with my board). Three orders came in subsequently and will be built in the next batch. You can just add your name to the spreadsheet if interested. BTW, putting the name on the spreadsheet does not commit you to buy the kit, I am sure I can find someone else to buy it if you change your mind.

Comment

• Hello,
                        I hope everyone is doing well.
                        Here is as promised the new lower front cover with the small hatch which this time is better designed (i hope).
                        Do not hesitate to tell me if you want changes it will bring more to everyone.
                        I thought of a universal camera support while thinking.

BTW: I just ordered a V12 full kit from Stan.
                        Hurry if you don't want to wait too long, the list is growing !...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Kamel Ikhlef; May 16, 2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Hi, Stan. Thanks for the response. I have added my name to the revised list, although it had been in the old list for several months.

Comment

• Wish I had a 3D printer Kamel. Hopefully one day. Thank you for sharing.
                            Gary, my bad. I noticed a few more people in the old list.
                            But, don't worry, you will get your kit. I also have a part time job and that is why it is going slow. But will get there for sure.

V12 update:

14 boards completed.
                            https://photos.app.goo.gl/iq83nxXh2D12r8oR6

Completed the first front panel. Actually, it is not that bad. The speed cct is a bit tricky but manageable.
                            https://photos.app.goo.gl/fPsNB8CBKhPZkFXN7
                            https://photos.app.goo.gl/zfAt6c5EgLaXd1Gy6

Comment

• Wow! very impressive Stan!
                              When I think that even making one scares me ... Look forward to mine.
                              Yes Stan, 3d printing is great. Lots of infinite applications according to his imagination.

Comment

• Thank you Kamel. Started testing board + panel combinations.

Comment

Working...
                                X