Wolverine-Hawkeye Telecine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDIT - my query has been answered.
    Last edited by Bruce Davis; May 31, 2020, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• Just a reminder:
      V12 boards are ready to be shipped. So far shipped two of them.
      If you want to get the boards, please send me a private message.
      First come, first served. The people that contacted me already can ignore this message.

Comment

• Kamel you could just replace the extension mini usb to usbA with this usbC to usbA
        Click image for larger version

Name:	usbc.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	10899

Stan I received the V12 on Saturday, THANK YOU!

I used my best logical guesses for the switches and board plugs, but I still am not sure about the take up motor and rewind/reverse switches. I will look at that again tonight together with the schematic and board files. If I am still stumped, I'll send some pictures. Everything else works, claw speeds, fan, and run.

P.S. Not there yet, but the board has the capstan connections labeled. I don't have a GRaY wire. I do have yellow and white to choose from.

Bruce I searched for sample images of the IS cameras with no luck.

Comment

• Sorry David, wanted to do the connection diagram and just ran out of time. The reverse switch has two connector coming out. The red/blk wires with female connector plug into the takeup motor. The other cable plugs to the takeup connector that is located right next to one of the camera standoffs.
          Hope this helps

Name:	cabling.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	10930

Connect motor white wire to GRY pad. My original motor had gray wire. That is why I labelled it GRY.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Stan Jelavic; June 01, 2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Stan. I should have waited and checked here!!

OK, Hawkeye is running. The camera will come later.

The sonalert is not going to wake anyone up even in the same room. I would guess there is no easy way to make it louder or longer. No need to put a switch on it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dj9...ew?usp=sharing

If I've connected this correctly, these are the speeds I found with these switch combinations.

Name:	speed positions.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	10935
            Attached Files

Comment

• Glad to hear that you got it going David. Your switch combinations look good.
              I have not have time to look into sonalert at all. The MSP can be programmed to turn it on and shut the stepper off if the capstan times out. But have to think of the ways how to implement that for the installations that do not have capstan.

Here is one possibility.
              Currently during run the takeup switch is inactive. I add a test to poll the takeup switch and if it is on turn sonalert feature on and shut the stepped if the capstan times out. The users without capstan can keep this switch in off position during run.
              I like your idea David to use Kamel's rollers for capstan. Maybe that is the solution. Instead of trying to pull the film out (which does not always work and causes jitter issues) just use the roller with the motor and activate the sonaler and shut teh stepper off when the film gets stuck.

One more thing. David can you share the capstan roller pulley design. Would like to get a few and try it.
              Last edited by Stan Jelavic; June 02, 2020, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Found Braxton. He is on FB. The kits are going fast (5 left) so as I said pls send me a private message if you want it.
                Also, got the price for the new camera lens holder. Here it is.

Name:	quote.png
Views:	443
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	10993
                Last edited by Stan Jelavic; June 02, 2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• David wrote:
                  Kamel
                  you could just replace the extension mini usb to usbA with this usbC to usbA

My comment:
                  I don't think this will work David. That cable is for charging only. Will have to add a usb3 on the board (V13).

Comment

• Stan, when these 5 boards are gone, you should just have the next batch pre-populated. V12 is much more complex that the V6 I've been working with, I've had to wrap some of the wiring. It was becoming a cobweb! Just wiring the switches must have been nuts.

1. Don't worry about coding the alarm yet. There are some things to I need to work out. It's not a priority. I'm still fitting the lens right now, the usb plug collides with the run switch. I think I can rotate the camera board and compensate in IC capture. I might be able to use Kamel's upper enclosure.

2. I had long ago replaced the original spring in the take up slip clutch. Strangely it was looser than it was originally. So the takeup is now pulsed and not continuous as it is in V6. Just now I had to stretch the spring to get more tension, but even there is always slack in the film. I can't see how there can be any jitter caused by the take up now! That's ok, it only affects the capstan. The smooth pulley will not continuously turn without tension. I tried some crazy winding on the pulleys, but there is never any tension. It does seem work with the toothed pulley. I'm thinking of printing a rubber (TPU) smooth pulley. Better friction, anyway I'll print some of these and throw them in your care package. I need to find Bruce's last capstan files so I can add the brass tube on my motor shaft.

3. I had to swap the white(gry) and red wires on the pcb, the capstan motor was rotating counterclockwise. Maybe one day we'll just give up on this capstan!!!!

4. What are the colored LEDs in the schematic and on the board? Are they active? Can I buy some LEDS and get that Christmas feeling? Anyway I was able to capture files, so Hawkeye is working. Just have some adjustments to fix my own custom stuff.

Comment

• Great that you got it working David. I did use the tie wraps (zip ties) to tidy up the wiring on my unit and it looks pretty clean. Yes, lots of work definitely and just one panel takes me 1.5 hours to complete.
                      Capstan is definitely a problem. Maybe something before the gate.

Partially populated boards is a very good idea. Most of the members here are pretty good technically and can solder but there are a few very difficult components. I could pre-populate those and provide the parts and let the users solder the rest of the components. The price would also some down to around $80..
                      Detailed cost calc enclosed:
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RTA...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Stan Jelavic; June 03, 2020, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• V12 update:
                        All 13 units from this build taken. Planning to build 6 more but the price may go up somewhat due to lower qty.

Comment

• Hello everyone,
                          I redesigned the thread of the M12 lens holder much more precise.
                          It will be easier to screw and unscrew. If you are interested, I put the link with the dimensions that I used.
                          printing settings : ABS or PETG : infill 50%, layer 0.1, shell 2, temp 230, bed 75.
                          It is a good basis before designing for the 4K camera.
                          Maybe also add blocking screws. Think about it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LM0...ew?usp=sharing
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Kamel

I will need a lens extension, my new lens mount will be exotic. The threads you have been using are very stiff and difficult to rotate the lens. Once in position though, the lens never moves and needs no thread lock. I'm locked out of your google drive link. I'm guilty of this too!

I love this reversed rewind! Thank you Bruce and Stan!

Another plus for the capstan is the beeper just keeps beeping when Hawkeye has finished capturing.

UPDATE: in the earlier post, #609, I noted the lack of tension on the take up. Without it the capstan with the smooth pulley doesn't rotate.
                            I've found that only happens when the "SPEED" switch is up/on and only during the initial 20-25 feet of film.
                            It would seem the initial take up diameter (small) the film is moving less. Then as the film winds on and the diameter grows, the amount of take up increases.

The point here is when the film is wound on the pulleys, it will start to descend to the table's surface and maybe jump off. The capstan is not important here because it is disabled when "SPEED" is on.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200605_101409187.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.4 KB ID:	11200Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200605_124014563_BURST000_COVER-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.3 KB ID:	11201

The concern is the film coming off the guides. This only happens with "SPEED" on.
                            As the take up diameter grows, the slack disappears. Then the film must be threaded around the pulleys or it will begin to pull directly on the gate. With the film threaded on the pulleys I didn't see the opposite problem, too much tension, near the end with the larger take up reel diameter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200605_104903957.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.4 KB ID:	11202

This issue might be unique to my machine's take up motor?

There is a different take up rate when using SPEED. This is true even when TURBO is added.

I suggest not using SPEED for 1 fps, instead use TURBO.

For 2 fps, TURBO + SPEED must be used.

At 2 fps, do not use the pulleys until the take up has tightened, stop, then thread the pulleys.

In other news, I began to see kangaroos and coyotes while trying to adjust and lock off my 16mm lens. Mounted and in place, it became too tedious and frustrating to position the lens and tighten the bolts. Rather than redesign the mount or the method, I just ordered the 37ux226 to gain software alignment. This was not worth my time.

I don't expect this will offer significant dynamic range over the 72bu02. It's a reasonable cost for 4k while staying with the IS cameras.

Comment

• Hi David,
                              The takeup and jitter issue is a tough nut to crack. I tuned the takeup pulse width for my machine and looks like it is different on your machine. You can always go to the stronger takeup by disconnecting from the takeup connector on teh Hawkeye board and connecting that cable to the original power supply 12V conenctor (original Wolverine connection). It will pulse but the pulse is longer. Then you have jitter issues to worry about.
                              I could increase the pulse width if the speed is on if you think that would help. Can send you the MSP.
                              BTW, the new batch of V12 boards have the capstan GRY and RED pads reversed as per your input.
                              The LED pads are there for the power LED indicator. I did not add the resistor because was not sure what brightness to pick.

A few additional thoughts.
                              David, you replaced the spring on the takeup. Can you try the original spring?
                              I will test my machine today for the beginning and the end of the reel. Also slow and fast speed. How is jitter with the speed off and turbo on? If it is OK then if we fix the tension at high speed to match the slow speed we should be good to go I think.
                              Last edited by Stan Jelavic; June 06, 2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Stan, David,Bruce,
                                Here is a first design of the 4K lens holder. To adjust if necessary ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pqi...ew?usp=sharing

David, Do not put 3D supports for printing the threads. It works fine for me.
                                I can screw and unscrew very easily and I block the lens with a 2mm ring.

Stan,
                                I did not understand for the pulley before the gate as a monitor. maybe a little hand drawing.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Kamel Ikhlef; June 06, 2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X