What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed

I had been thinking of "Living" for a while now, but just could not make up my mind after seeing the DVD at JB Hi Fi a while back. After reading your review I got around to getting it today what looked like the last of the DVDs in stock of this title. Tonight I watched it using the Epson and I must say the story was way better than I thought it would be. I would have to rate "Living" as one of the best films I have seen. Bill Nighy really nailed it, outstanding acting. In a way it reminded me of my father who after leaving school worked for the ICI in Glasgow before the war and again after the war until he took retirement. I always thought he liked the job but my mother told me after he left the ICI that he hated it, I never new that. There is a lot of truth to how Bill Nighy puts it across. Many people of my fathers generation would often stay in a job all there working lives, even though they might not be happy with it, it might sound strange these days, but I guess it was a matter of having to back then.

On the blu-ray side of things I did watch Spencer Tracy in "Bad Day At Black Rock" 1954, outstanding in every way, and its a blu-ray release I would highly recommend

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
      Ed

I had been thinking of "Living" for a while now, but just could not make up my mind after seeing the DVD at JB Hi Fi a while back. After reading your review I got around to getting it today what looked like the last of the DVDs in stock of this title. Tonight I watched it using the Epson and I must say the story was way better than I thought it would be. I would have to rate "Living" as one of the best films I have seen. Bill Nighy really nailed it, outstanding acting. In a way it reminded me of my father who after leaving school worked for the ICI in Glasgow before the war and again after the war until he took retirement. I always thought he liked the job but my mother told me after he left the ICI that he hated it, I never new that. There is a lot of truth to how Bill Nighy puts it across. Many people of my fathers generation would often stay in a job all there working lives, even though they might not be happy with it, it might sound strange these days, but I guess it was a matter of having to back then.

On the blu-ray side of things I did watch Spencer Tracy in "Bad Day At Black Rock" 1954, outstanding in every way, and its a blu-ray release I would highly recommend
      I had the same reaction to the film Graham. I wasn't expecting too much, and it sat in my queue to watch for awhile. The trailer really did not reflect the what it was about. I did not know that it was a remake of an Akira Kurosawa film from the 50's. What a pleasant surprise it turn out to be.

Living is a 2022 British drama film directed by Oliver Hermanus from a screenplay by Kazuo Ishiguro, adapted from the 1952 Japanese film Ikiru directed by Akira Kurosawa, which in turn was partly inspired by the 1886 Russian novella The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy. Set in 1953 London, it depicts a bureaucrat in the county Public Works department (played by Bill Nighy) facing a fatal illness.

Living had its world premiere at the 2022 Sundance Film Festival on 21 January 2022, and was released in the United Kingdom on 4 November 2022, by Lionsgate.[3] The film received positive reviews, with Nighy's performance receiving particular acclaim, and at the 95th Academy Awards was nominated for Best Actor (Nighy) and Best Adapted Screenplay.
      Credit: Wikipedia

I also agree with you on Bad Day At Black Rock. Outstanding performances by Tracy and all the supporting cast!

Comment

• For me "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny" which looked better at home in HD than at the "Digital IMAX" screen I had previoulsy seen it at. I suspect it just had two synchronised 2K projectors and the picture was too big for that set-up I could almost count the mirrors of the DMD!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
          For me "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny" which looked better at home in HD than at the "Digital IMAX" screen I had previoulsy seen it at...
          Otherwise known as "LieMax"

IMAX is short for “Image Maximum” but, since 2008, they’ve been pretty lax on the maximum part.

The Disappointing World of IMAX and LieMAX

It’s been 6 years since it first began, and yet today so many filmgoers are still unaware that this deceit is occurring. Just last week I told some friends that I planned to drive two hours to go see Interstellar in 70mm IMAX, and they were all puzzled why I didn’t just drive a few minutes to see it in “IMAX” at our local mall.​
          See full article by John Canfield (November 11, 2014) Link: https://johncanfield.me/blog/disappo...d-imax-liemax/

Comment

• Our daughter paid us a visit last evening, would you like to watch a movie I asked? The movie we watched was the excellent film "Goodbye Christopher Robin" after watching it I said to April you will never be able to watch a Winnie the Poo film again without thinking back to the story of how it all began.

The blu-ray picture and sound quality is excellent "Goodbye Christopher Robin" I would certainly highly recommend watching, but be warned though, I forgot to bring out the box of tissues for April, as near the end you will really need to supply them.

Comment

• Last night it was a bit of a double feature night using the Epson VP Clear and Present Danger and Close. I have to be in the mood these days to watch two in a row last night was one about two weeks ago it was a double screening of The Last Crusade along with Raiders being the first

This is not the first time I have watched "Clear and Present Danger" its a excellent well written story that keeps you on edge right to the end.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1330743.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	95082
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1330744.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.8 KB ID:	95083
              After a short break......."Close" another outstanding film, English sub-titles, excellent transfer to blu-ray.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340461.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.3 KB ID:	95084
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340462.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.8 KB ID:	95085

And from last week
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340455.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.4 KB ID:	95086

Comment

• Are you catching up on Oscar nominated films you missed in the past year? Add this one to your list:

The Holdovers - It's THAT Good - A Critical Appreciation

The Holdovers also collected Golden Globe wins for best comedy actor Paul Giamatti and supporting actress Da’vine Joy Randolph.

I highly recommend this one.

Comment

• Ed,

I very much enjoyed seeing The Holdovers when it was in theatres. A fantastic job by actor Dominic Sessa in his film debut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                    Ed,

I very much enjoyed seeing The Holdovers when it was in theatres. A fantastic job by actor Dominic Sessa in his film debut.
                    I did not realize that this was his film debut when I watched it. His role was critical, and he did great job. I enjoy Paul Giamatti in anything he does, and Da’vine Joy Randolph certainly earned her Golden Globe award as the grieving mother who lost her son in the Vietnam war.

Comment

• Rewatched OPPENHEIMER this lazy Sunday afternoon while the rains were pouring! I loved seeing it in the theater and enjoyed it just as much this go around too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	81fAwka9iiL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	95227

Comment

• For those who like a good mystery I watched this blu-ray last night. Its not the first time I had watched it, still good a second time around, excellent cast, excellent transfer to blu-ray.

Comment

• This week I screened Elvis in my home cinema on dvd for wife’s W I film Group, raising funds for their charity of the year. Turn out was practically a full house at14. Screened via my Epson with 9ft wide picture. No pixels visible from front row 8ft from screen. Who needs 4k! 😊. Would show screen shot, but would need click by click idiots guide at my age to explain how to do it. Find it hard enough to keep up with all the frequent changes.😳

Comment

• Watched this one on blu-ray tonight Brilliant score by James Horner.

Comment

• I saw this recently at a 40th anniversary showing in the theater. I remember seeing it in 1982 at 12 years old and have seen it since then more times that I can count. Going to a modern theater in 2022 I was a little worried about how it would hold up on the big screen.

I shouldn’t have been worried.

Seeing this again forty years later on the large screen was a real event. The effects definitely hold up, the performances draw you in and the score sends chill down your spine and raises your spirit.

Spock’s death scene, seen forty years after my first time seeing, impacted me and I am not ashamed to say brought a tear to my eye. The giant screen upon which this scene played out with Horner’s score enhancing was simply amazing.​
                              Credit: Youtube commentor

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - The Best Star Trek Movie Revisited

Comment

• "Cape Fear" 1961 on blu-ray, boy Robert Mitchum is good at playing the nasty highly recommend this one

Comment

Working...
                                X