No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see both names used, often together, i.e. "Phillips Kinoton FP20". Kinoton went bankrupt:

Kinoton GmbH is in liquidation since April 1, 2014. The Kinoton brand will live on as a new company, Kinoton Digital Solutions, which will focus on digital solutions.​

Comment

• Well folks at long last this 1993 movie has finally made it to blu-ray released world wide this month by "Imprint" I have the DVD, bought many moons ago although OK its not a patch on the blu-ray in picture quality. When I heard "Imprint" were going to release it I put my name down for a copy which I picked up just last Friday. If you are interested in this title, then be quick as "Imprint" will only do so many before they move on to something else.

This release includes some very interesting "special features" which I also watched tonight, including interviews with cast members and Director, who just happens to bring up the name of Conrad Hall on his photography. All up with an excellent cast and based on a true story, projected tonight using the Epson VP. Its certainly one blu-ray I would highly recommend 10 out 10, well done "Imprint".
      Click image for larger version  Name:	imprint 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	87032
      Click image for larger version  Name:	imprint.jpg Views:	0 Size:	261.5 KB ID:	87033

Comment

• Who remembers going to the cinema when this film came out? we did and its been one of my favorite films ever since. Although I have the full feature on 16mm and it is a good print, you never really can get the full benefit of Vangelis music on optical 16mm. Step forward the blu-ray "da da" with its DTS-HD master audio 5:1, and now we are talking. Vangelis won an Oscar for it and at the time was a popular LP to buy.

As for the film I watched it just the other night on blu-ray using the Epson VP, both picture quality and sound is very good. I also like the way it been presented in this book form as shown below. "Chariots Of Fire" is a timeless film and its one I enjoy watching every so often.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1340449.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	87285

Name:	P1340450.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	87286

Name:	P1340451.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	87287

Name:	P1340453.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	87288

Comment

• Last night with this one again one thing I notice with films of that period is how well dressed everyone was when going somewhere. If you watch Steve Mc Queen "Bullitt" at the airport near the end, its the same all the extras look smart, how times have changed
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190119.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.8 KB ID:	87363
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190145.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	87364
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190182.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	87365
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190169.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	87366
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190205.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	87367
          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190241.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.0 KB ID:	87368

Comment

• For Bluray movie collectors. Kino Lorber is having a sale:

Comment

• Ever since we watched it at the cinema I have always enjoyed watching this one, last night I thought why not,. One thing that really highlights this movie is Jerry Goldsmith brilliant score

Name:	P1200632.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	87431

Name:	P1200633.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	87432

Comment

• Lost track on the number of times I have watched this movie, tonight it was another screening both image and sound were great. I should add, that if like watching 3D movies, then "Jurassic Park" and the first "Jurassic World" are a must have to watch on blu-ray using a VP . I have yet to add 4K to our viewing experience, but coming across the 4K and blu-ray discs these days for only $15 dollars I will have to look into it.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190750.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.9 KB ID:	87560
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190751.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.3 KB ID:	87561
                Plus having a listen to the soundtrack the same night
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190754.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	87562

Comment

• Well here is hoping, after watching tonight's news that the rain in NYC has eased up. Its the school holidays at the moment and we have had Connor over the last few nights. We always watch movies at night, but its always hard to find something different and not seen. We were going to run the 35mm film print of "ET" but never got around to it, but its on the grand plan to watch next time round As he is now at the grand old age of 14 yrs, I thought... mmmm... lets try "Close" and see how that goes down, as I think this one is important, regarding how events at school can cause a tragic chain of events. Anyway that one got his attention, certainly a different topic than what he is used to, and had no trouble reading the sub-titles. Last night again something different and a bit more light hearted and that was "Cloak and Dagger" made way back in 1984. We both enjoyed this one, and its a movie that is actually a lot better than I first thought when I got the blu-ray a while back. I had watched it before so this was the second time. Picture and sound are both very good and it does make for a good nights entertainment.

Might be time to return to "The Flight Of The Phoenix" tonight

Name:	P1340464.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	87830

Name:	P1340456.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	87831

Name:	P1340458.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	87832

Name:	P1340460.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	87833

Comment

• Tonight it was this blu-ray, its an impressive movie, in particular Academy winning George C Scott. Its long but it does have an "Intermission" both picture and sound are excellent. Its not the first time I have watched "Patton" and it won't be the last. It really is a outstanding production in every way. I understand this speech did make its way to Super8 years ago, highly recommend it and if you have a VP to screen it even more.

Comment

• Star Wars the other night on blu-ray, I must admit I am getting near the end of my interest in this film, It was great in its day when we went to the cinema to see it way back in 1977 and the Super 8 release from Ken films now sadly faded. Time marches on, but I did watch it last week without falling zzzzzz or switching the VP off half way through like I did the last time I tried to watch it.

Although its not the original edit, I think for $25 for the disc I can live with it, the picture quality of the blu-ray and sound is really excellent. I wonder what the 4K is like?

A couple of earlier screen shots, this blu-ray came in a nice steel box

PS By the way if you ever come across the Super 8 Pod Race from Phantom Menace its one Scope film I would recommend. It looks and sound great, an excellent addition to any Super 8 Scope reel, in my case I also added the Super 8 Scope trailer on the front of it. I will add a couple of Super 8 screen shots of the Pod Race below
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300955.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	88079
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300956.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	88080
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300915.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.3 KB ID:	88081
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300942.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	88082
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300919.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.3 KB ID:	88083
                      Super 8 Scope
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1140697.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	88084
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1140701.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	88085
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1140689.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	88086
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1140708.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	88087
                      Last edited by Graham Ritchie; October 05, 2023, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Saturday night it was "Soylent Green" from 1973 its a film I always like to re-visit every so often. This was the last film Edward G Robinson was in, also the cast celebrated his birthday during the making of.

Sunday night I felt like a move back to musicals, and what better than going back to 1968 with "Oliver". I still have the Scope trailer on Super 8 . Its a pity though, that this film never made it to Super8, a 600 footer or longer in "Scope" would have been great. Oliver is a timeless film with a brilliant cast, music etc you can't ask for more, they certainly don't make films like this anymore.

Name:	P1140816.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	88199

Name:	P1210805.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	88200

Name:	P1210806.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	88201

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                          Saturday night it was "Soylent Green" from 1973 its a film I always like to re-visit every so often. This was the last film Edward G Robinson was in, also the cast celebrated his birthday during the making of.
                          For a great Charlton Heston double feature I would pair Soylent Green with The Omega Man. Who knew Ben Hur knew how to run a 35mm projector?
                          Last edited by Ed Gordon; October 08, 2023, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• Last night it was the blu-ray of "Jo Jo Rabbit", New Zealand director, writer, actor Taika Waititi really did an excellent job making this film. If you have never watched "Jo Jo Rabbit" do take the time to watch it.

Comment

• Graham,

Excellent film. I'm also a big fan of Taika Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Comment

• Doug, "Taika Waititi" made a film that we screened at the cinema way back 2010 on 35mm a really nice print I should add. It did really well during its cinema run, which was not always the case with locally made films. You don't hear much about it these days, but its well worth watching, also out on blu-ray .

Comment

Working...
                                X