No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always liked "Where Eagles Dare" along with Ron Goodwin score. The 3/400 Super 8 from MGM I always thought was one of the best edit jobs around, still rate it highly. "Where Eagles Dare" was in my mind, a typical 1960s war movie. I still watch the blu-ray every so often

Comment

• Don Rickles was surprisingly good in Kelly's Heroes!

Comment

• Last night it was the 2D version of Hugo in saying that if you get the chance to watch it also on 3D its very impressive, usually I would watch it in 3D but last night try out the 2D. The blu-ray picture quality is outstanding. Its interesting to note the movie is in a 1:85:1 ratio, but my 35mm trailer screen shots taken below are in Scope. Its not the first time I have come across 35mm trailers in Scope with the feature release in flat, interesting.

Anyway apart from the blu-ray cover shown just below, the screen shots are from a 20 minute 35mm Scope trailer reel that I run through the Ernemann 2 projector every so often
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250711.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	86290

Name:	P1250712.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	86291
        And now for the 35mm film print.

Name:	P1260530.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	86292

Name:	P1260532.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	86293

Name:	P1260535.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	86294

Name:	P1260536.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	86295

Name:	P1260544.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	86296

Name:	P1260552.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	86297

Comment

• If there was ever a book about the sea and the Second World War, this is the one to read, Its been a very long time since I last read it. The film version is one of the best on the subject. Tonight it was once again projected using the Epson VP. The picture and sound quality is excellent and its one blu-ray I would highly recommend.

Name:	P1210672.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	86373

Name:	P1210673.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	86374

Name:	P1210060.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	86375

Name:	P1210061.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	86376

Comment

• Two nights ago it was once again the blu-ray of "Cinema Paradiso" Its been a while since I had last watched it, "Cinema Paradiso" seems more important now to watch, than it might have been before, due to the fact film projection is all but gone at cinemas these days.

The blu-ray quality is really excellent, the soundtrack is in Italian with English subtitles which is how it should be. On the DVD side of things, the four disc box set I bought a while ago, is what to go for. Its a excellent box set nicely presented. and for those who don't like sub-titles, then you will only find that on the US HBO dvd release Region one Italian or English dubbing. I bought that one before, I bought the Arrow Box set and the blu-ray version also I think its now out on 4K.

All the versions wither on blu-ray or DVD have a aspect ratio of 16:9 and are of excellent picture and sound quality that I have come across, for anyone interested in the cinema, then "Cinema Paradiso" is a must to watch.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1240649.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.5 KB ID:	86512
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1240650.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.8 KB ID:	86513
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1240651.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	86514
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1240652.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.1 KB ID:	86515
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1240653.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.6 KB ID:	86516
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1240654.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	86517
            Last edited by Graham Ritchie; September 08, 2023, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
              Two nights ago it was once again the blu-ray of "Cinema Paradiso" Its been a while since I had last watched it, "Cinema Paradiso" seems more important now to watch, than it might have been before, due to the fact film projection is all but gone at cinemas these days.

The blu-ray quality is really excellent, the soundtrack is in Italian with English subtitles which is how it should be. On the DVD side of things, the four disc box set I bought a while ago, is what to go for. Its a excellent box set nicely presented. and for those who don't like sub-titles, then you will only find that on the US HBO dvd release Region one Italian or English dubbing. I bought that one before, I bought the Arrow Box set and the blu-ray version also I think its now out on 4K....
              Cinema Paradiso is required viewing for all film collectors! I have both versions of the film:

Restored from the original camera negative and presented in two versions the 124 minute Cannes Festival theatrical version and the 174 minute Director's Cut​
              I was trying to remember my favorite scene in Cinema Paradiso and concluded that every dam moment of it is wonderful. The final segment when he puts on the reel of out-takes of all kissing scenes the local parish priest insisted on being removed from all the movies shown at the Paradiso that his projectionist mentor had saved for him is very moving. As you said Graham, "Cinema Paradiso is a must to watch"

Comment

• Cinema Paradiso - one of my favourite films of all time. My wife is Italian so I have a soft spot for Italian films anyway…

Comment

• Well getting back into Digi land, after running the Ernemann 2 last weekends feature film and with the blu-ray the other night of "The Towering Inferno" although is very good. I still think of all Irwin Allen's 70s disaster films, "The Poseidon Adventure" is still at the top the list for me. Anyway a couple of screen shots below taken this week

Both picture and sound I should add are excellent, I had forgotten its actually quite a long movie with a running time of 2hours and 45 minutes projected using the Epson VP

Name:	P1340253.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	86891

Name:	P1340258.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	86892

Name:	P1340263.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	86893

Name:	P1340266.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	86894

Name:	P1340275.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	86895

Name:	P1340276.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	86896

Name:	P1340277.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	86897

Comment

...and with the blu-ray the other night of "The Towering Inferno" although is very good. I still think of all Irwin Allen's 70s disaster films, "The Poseidon Adventure" is still at the top the list for me...

Both picture and sound I should add are excellent, I had forgotten its actually quite a long movie with a running time of 2hours and 45 minutes projected using the Epson VP
                    Both Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure got good audience reviews and were nominated for several academy awards. I favor Towering Inferno over Poseidon Adventure; maybe because Towering Inferno was 45 minutes longer and time was spent developing characters. Speaking of runtime, did your Bluray include the intermission?

Part 1 Time: 73 Minutes

Part 2 Time: 92 Minutes

Where does the first part end? Chief Security Officer Harry Jernigan grabs the Allbright kitten.

Final line of dialogue on the first part: “Say kitty, I almost missed you.” Jernigan states to the kitten.

First line of dialogue on the second part: Doug Roberts leads the Allbright family down the stairwell. Phillip Allbright yells in pain “ow!” after touching the wall.

How jarring is it when the first part ends? Jarring, the fire continues within the Glass Tower, a 1,800 feet high skyscraper. The LAFD respond, but at 81 floors above ground level are challenged to put the fire out. Will the fire be put under control?

***Upon its release this fast based non stop action film did not have an official Hollywood intermission, which makes it difficult to determine an appropriate break. The break in the film was determined prior to the major action plot points, which we suggest should not be broken up.

Which part is better? Part one gives background details of the Glass Tower, the introduction of primary characters, and the beginning of the fire. The second part shows the strength of fire and the helplessness of those surrounded by it. Due to the edge of your seat action part two is given the edge.

Academy Awards: Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Music-Original Score, Best Picture (Nominated), Best Supporting Actor (Nominated- Fred Astaire), Best Art Direction-Set Decoration (Nominated), Best Sound (Nominated), Best Music- Original Dramatic Score (Nominated).
                    Source

Comment

• Hi Ed

There was no Intermission on this "The Towering Inferno" blu-ray which is a pity, but talking about "Intermissions" when we ran the 35mm print of "Doctor Zhivago" the start of the second half was interesting. We brought the lights in the cinema fully down, nothing on the screen except total darkness, people in the theatre must have thought, hey what's this, the sound of a train but no image, it went on for what seemed quite a while with only the sound of the train, then on the screen you see this small light in the distance, that gets larger and larger. Its the end of the tunnel getting closer, then boom you are into the second half. What a brilliant way to enter the second half David Lean really knew what he was doing with his editing skills in the lead in to that second half

Comment

• Yes, he always said that he shold have kept the shot of the slow aproach of Omar Sharif in Laurence of Arabia on for longer, but was pursuaded to cut it. He knew what he was doing!!!

Comment

• There was no Intermission on this "The Towering Inferno" blu-ray which is a pity
                          Luckily, most Bluray releases of "roadshow" movies include the Overture, Intermission, Entr'acte, and Exit music. If they don't, I add them. I run most of my Blurays off a large NAS, so I can do a pretty good imitation of a the Cinema experience at home.

Speaking of home cinemas, after watching John Clancy's latest video showing his new cinema build and the Kinoton FP20 he acquired, I noticed your comment on the projector. It seemed kind of noisy to have right there in the auditorium section. He needs a platter system like you have at home! 😀

Comment

• Yep definitely needs a platter I think though the mike might have amplified the projector more than it actually is, as in general the Kinoton is a quiet running 35mm projector. However as for all film projectors, as far as I am concerned a projection box to isolate projector noise is really the best way to go, I like to hear the sound coming from the speakers more than a projector itself. Working at the cinema I was always glad to switch everything off at the end of the night and go home. I always thought it was a bit creepy when everything went so quiet. Cinemas can be spooky places late at night, as only me or who ever was on the roster and the cashier stayed right to the end. We always left the place together, and I always made sure she got to her car safely before I drove off. Today I ran the "Westar" 35mm at Ferrymead Heritage Park, it did run great, but I had forgotten how much noise 35mm projectors can make not being in some sort of projection box, I think multiple head sets might be just the thing

Comment

... However as for all film projectors, as far as I am concerned a projection box to isolate projector noise is really the best way to go, I like to hear the sound coming from the speakers more than a projector itself... I had forgotten how much noise 35mm projectors can make not being in some sort of projection box,...
                              You might want to start a new post to get ideas/suggestions on isolating projector noise. Film buffs and gear-heads might like the humming projector, but your audience probably does not. They do make portable booths, or your could make your own. Even those padded partition walls you see in offices would be better than nothing.

Comment

• John says it is a Philips FP20 despite the Kinoton labels on it. Did Philips take over Kinoton?

Comment

Working...
                                X