What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graham,

I picked up the soundtrack album of David Shire's music immediately after seeing The Hindenburg in 1975. It's a wonderful, compelling, nuanced score. I used a track, "The Letter", in one of my student films. A few years back, Intrada came out with a limited edition CD.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shire-Hindenberg - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.7 KB ID:	102453

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shire-Hindenberg - 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.7 KB ID:	102457

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shire-Hindenberg - 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	374.8 KB ID:	102456

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shire-Hindenberg - 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	310.9 KB ID:	102454

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shire-Hindenberg - 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	347.8 KB ID:	102455

I have the Universal 2x400' and also a 16mm scope feature print. Yes, I really like this movie!

Comment

• Regarding "Boychoir" here is a interesting interview with actor Garrett Warein and director Francois Girard a few years ago. Some folk in the US really had it in for this film regarding the ABC choir past, nothing to do with the present structure in which the film is based in 2015. I always like to give a movie a fair go, and this one I thought was well done. I have found at times, that when critics rubbish a film I usually like it , when they say its great I find it ho hum. There are a number of good movies out there you never hear much about, they simply never get the backing they deserve on release. When I worked at the cinema we were always open to try different things, some films worked, some not, often you would hear from customers that wasn't as bad as we thought

Comment

• Just read your comments Doug, that first opening scene of the Hindenburg and the music at the start is brilliant, it really sets the mood of the film and what you are about to watch. I picked up a second hand LP of it a while back and its great to sit back and just listen to it.

Comment

• Shire has a long list of credits:

Selected filmography

One More Train to Rob (1971)
          Drive, He Said (1971)
          Summertree (1971)
          Skin Game (1971)
          To Find a Man (1972)
          Two People (1973)
          Class of '44 (1973)
          Showdown (1973)
          Killer Bees (1974)
          Sidekicks (1974)
          The Conversation (1974)
          The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)
          The Hindenburg (1975)
          Farewell, My Lovely (1975)
          All the President's Men (1976)
          Harry and Walter Go to New York (1976)
          The Big Bus (1976)
          Raid on Entebbe (1977)
          Something for Joey (1977)
          Saturday Night Fever (1977)
          Straight Time (1978)
          Fast Break (1979)
          Norma Rae (1979)
          The Promise (1979)
          Old Boyfriends (1979)
          Apocalypse Now (1979, rejected)
          Only When I Laugh (1981)
          Paternity (1981)
          Max Dugan Returns (1983)
          Oh, God! You Devil (1984)
          2010 (1984)
          The Blue Yonder (1985)
          Return to Oz (1985)
          Short Circuit (1986)
          'night, Mother (1986)
          Vice Versa (1988)
          Backfire (1988)
          Monkey Shines (1988)
          Paris Trout (1991)
          Bed & Breakfast (1992)
          Four Eyes and Six Guns (1992)
          Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993, rejected)
          The Man Who Wouldn't Die (1995)
          The Streets of Laredo (1995)
          Rear Window (1998)
          Ash Wednesday (2002)
          Zodiac (2007)
          Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009)
          The American Side (2016)
          Love After Love (2017)

My favorite Shire film score was for Farewell, My Lovely (1975 film):

He also wrote the music for a few songs

Comment

• I had a must-watch movie last night: one I kept hearing about, but had never seen before. It was Red River with John Wayne and Montgomery Clift.

The path I came to this one is a little unconventional. You see, one of our favorite movies is City Slickers with Billy Crystal. That one starts out almost as a parody of Westerns, but in the end the three Goofs at the center of the story get serious about the cattle drive they are almost accidentally on and they wind up being Western Heroes: real Cowboys, no less. They not only bring in the herd, but figure out what's important in life.

At the beginning of the cattle drive, one of the other tourists they are with talks about "The Yee-Hah Scene! the Big Screen: Red River with John Wayne and Montgomery Clift!" -and so they Yee-Hah out onto the trail and in the end their vacation gets a little more...challenging than was ever shown in the brochure.

-so I had to see the Original Yee-Hah! Scene and see how this one inspired that other movie 50 years later.

There is kind of a danger here: watching one movie that inspired another, especially when you know the second movie by heart. For example, my son and I know the dialog from Airplane! by heart, and found Zero Hour! much funnier than its creators ever planned! ("Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit Smokin'!")

Similarly, Red River ​ is pretty high drama. John Wayne's character takes on Montgomery Clift's as a young boy and raises him as his son. As a young man, he betrays Dad (-as Dad sees it...) and Dad spends most of the rest of the movie hunting him down hoping to kill him!

-but there we were out in the seats: "Yeeeeeeee-HAHHHHH!!!!!".
            Whenever a couple of men on horseback rode together down a grassy hill, we started to do the theme from Bonanza!

This is often considered among the greatest John Wayne Westerns, and I'll fully admit we probably approached it with the wrong attitude. My wife is different: she doesn't have an inner seven year-old like both my son and I do (We both like cartoons a lot more than she does!), so she fully appreciated the emotional dynamics among the characters: love, loyalty, betrayal, anger and forgiveness. At the start, I was a little concerned about her and a movie full of guns and horses, but she enjoyed Red River much more than I thought she would. (To each their own! -in their own way!)

Comment

• Last night it was a return to this one called "About A Boy" what I remember the most when we ran the 35mm print, was how popular this film was at Movieland cinema at the time. I still remember the print arriving and thinking what is this about? Anyway what I did see of it on the screen and the fact it was a film that I did a number of sold out private fund raising with, it can't be that bad. I never thought as a actor Hugh Grant was up to much, but with this one his role was perfect.

Now jump forward 20 odd years and this time the blu-ray, This movie really does have a excellent script and very well directed. All the cast are really good, Marcus the kid has to deal with his mothers depression, and this film really does get it across how dangerous and lack of self control can be in dealing with it really is. If you have never watched "About A Boy" do take the time to watch it, and don't be put of by the title, as such I highly recommend this one on blu-ray with both picture and sound are excellent.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290167.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	102570

Name:	P1290197.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	102571

Name:	P1290201.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	102572

Name:	P1290200.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	102573

Name:	P1290202.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	102574

Name:	P1290211.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	102575

Name:	P1290212.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	102576

Name:	P1290227.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	102577

Comment

• Now here is something different that I picked up on blu-ray this week and watched it last night called "X+Y" brilliant bit of acting by Asa Butterfield, good movie and well worth looking out for.

Comment

• Cant believe its been 17 years since I projected this film during the school holidays, it did great business, a big hit at the cinema and with me tonight though it was the blu-ray

Comment

• After about 15 years of use my old Panasonic VP lamp warning lamp came on, so it was time if I was to continue to use it, replace the lamp. The lamp had clocked up 1900 and something hours and was the original lamp when we bought it new long ago. I opted to go for a cheaper replacement lamp as getting the original Panasonic is still pretty expensive. The replacement lamp ET-LAX100 is new and comes fitted in its module, so its a quick and easy swap. After I reset the hour clock, the lamp fault light went out and after a couple more adjustments we were back up and running. The Panasonic PTAX200E is a old projector now by todays standards and it wont give you the full 1080p like the Epson I have but in saying that the image is gives is still pretty good.

The new lamp cost NZ$129 dollars plus postage of $6 from Auckland overnight.

So the last few night the blu-ray titles using the Panasonic this time were....
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1240496.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	102868
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1240497.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.4 KB ID:	102869
                    After a short break
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340461.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.3 KB ID:	102870
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340462.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.8 KB ID:	102871
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300996.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	102872
                    Tonight it was the turn of "Empire Of The Sun" on blu-ray remember going to see this film and "The Last Emperor" that was back in the days of regular visits to the cinema

The Panasonic has now passed with flying colors

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                      After about 15 years of use my old Panasonic VP lamp warning lamp came on, so it was time if I was to continue to use it, replace the lamp. The lamp had clocked up 1900 and something hours and was the original lamp when we bought it new long ago. I opted to go for a cheaper replacement lamp as getting the original Panasonic is still pretty expensive. The replacement lamp ET-LAX100 is new and comes fitted in its module, so its a quick and easy swap. After I reset the hour clock, the lamp fault light went out and after a couple more adjustments we were back up and running. The Panasonic PTAX200E is a old projector now by todays standards and it wont give you the full 1080p like the Epson I have but in saying that the image is gives is still pretty good....
                      That is a pretty good run at nearly 2k hours. That works out to about NZ$.08 per hour! I have only replaced one lamp on the three digital projectors I have had. That was replaced because the lamp was getting too dim. The 1st projector was a Sanyo that had about 720p resolution and cost $2000 US. My next projector was an upgrade to 1080I that cost $3000. My latest projector is 4K UHD and cost $1500. I appreciate the falling prices for digital projection. The bad thing about the declining cost of digital is that it was a major factor in killing off 35mm in theaters.

Comment

• Hi Ed

I have had a excellent run with Video projectors over the years my first one was this one I still have it and it still goes but its pretty grim by todays standards that's for sure.

Name:	P1160804.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	102914

Name:	P1160805.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	102915

Name:	P1160808.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	102916
                        Our old projection box.

Name:	Copy of ritchie home cinema-6.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	102917
                        The next projector was this Sanyo, it was a big leap forward to the old one.

Name:	P1160810.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	102918

Name:	P1160812.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	102919
                        Then came the Panasonic later the Epson.

Saturday night at the movies on blu-ray was "One Life" based on the true story of Sir Nicholas Winton, starring Anthony Hopkins. I would certainly recommend watching this film.

Name:	one life.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	102920

Comment

• Graham, your old Sanyo VP was much like my first projector. It is amazing just how good a picture they produced considering the best connection they provided back then was S-Video. As I recall, the DVD had not be introduced at that time.

One Life looks interesting. I'll look for that one.

Comment

• Mad Max is back

Click image for larger version  Name:	furiosa.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.3 KB ID:	102933

If you saw Mad Max: Fury Road and hated it like I do, or loved it as most fans and critics did, I think you will enjoy the latest Mad Max saga. Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga is actually a prequel to Fury Road. What makes Furiosa better that Fury Road is that this one actually has a plot. The review below is from IMDB:

I feel many go into Furiosa expecting a Mad max movie, and at its core it is so much different. With its predecessor being Fury road, Furiosa had a very high bar to achieve. However, these 2 movies are so different, while they may seem similar they are completely different action movies. Furiosa takes on a much more different aesthetic with the use of slightly more darker and less vibrant colors, a much different protagonist, and a more complex story. The use of cgi is pretty disappointing, if you have a keen eye you can pretty easily the digital doubles and green screen. Anya Taylor-Joy gives an absolutely amazing performance. Dare I say she is better than Charlize Theron in Fury Road? Absolutely! Chris Hemsworth was also great and hilarious. Furiosa, while it may have many flaws, is one of the best action movies to come out in recent times, and I hope it gets the recognition it deserves. Furiosa is in no ways perfect, but do I love it? Yes.

Comment

• Will have to look out for that one Ed, last night I watched JAWS using the Panasonic

Opps wrong trailer

Comment

• “One Life” is well worth watching. I saw it at our local cinema. I also have a dvd of an earlier documentary about the story. It is called “Nicole’s Children”. On the subject of Video projectors, my first one was Sony 200E. it cost £1,000 at the time. It was cylindrical in shape, had an lcd diplay and powered by a 50watt, 12 volt halogen dichroic bulb. It provided quite a good display from vhs with a picture about 5ft width.

Comment

Working...
                                X