8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 215)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  212  213  214  215  216  217  218  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2018 01:40 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Circus World (UFA by Buck Labs on Fuji stock) reels 1,2 & 4 bought at bargain prices at various film conventions. Part 1 English sound, Part 2 partly re-dubbed to English by me and part 4 German. Masked to widescreen but though the masking is red the colours in the actual picture are not to bad and all colours are there and bright, I thin it was like that when I bought them in the 1980's. The definition is not good but the pictures are high contrast and little detail in the highlights but considering that it cost me about £6 - £9 I think it was good value.

|  IP: Logged

Mac Rebant
Junior

- posted May 02, 2018 08:24 PM      Profile for Mac Rebant   Author's Homepage   Email Mac Rebant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very recent Super 8 adopter here. In November I inherited my father's Super 8 and 16mm films and projectors but only recently brought out the 8mm projector. All but two of the super 8 films are in storage, won't be able to get them until I build a storage shed in the next month or so.

So today I watched one of the two I have, both are features, and this one is of my favorite movies!
Horror Express - the color is a little faded but still has some decent color. I remember watching this with my dad in the 70s (when I was a kid) on the living room wall. Great memories! The monster freaked me out!!

The other is Chaplin's Modern Times. I'll have to break it out one of these nights!

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2018 08:56 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday, May 3 at approximately 7:15 PM James Cameron’s the abyss full length super 8 Cinemascope and stereo sound

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2018 12:21 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

Wild Bunch ist not faded, have nice colors. I make Screenshots [Smile]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 04, 2018 01:46 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mac, thats good to hear that you are keeping your Fathers films and projector, i hope they always bring you happy memories as well as the enjoyment of the hobby. [Wink]

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2018 05:30 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, and welcome to this forum.
What projector ďid your father have?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2018 11:14 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE ABYSS!!

I'm envious, Chip! My favorite Ed Harris film!

Is that "letterboxed" or in scope?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2018 11:44 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, if I recall correctly the Derann release of The Abyss was 'scope. I think I had a copy back in the day.

Mac Rebant
Junior

- posted May 07, 2018 12:41 PM      Profile for Mac Rebant   Author's Homepage   Email Mac Rebant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Tom! I appreciate the kind words.

Matthieu: it's an Elmo ST-1200 D. After replacing the belts and giving it a little fresh lubrication it seems to be running great! The auto-thread is a bit finicky sometimes, so I have to open the cover to keep an eye on it, I already had a tiny bit of damage to a film. I'll have to see if I can adjust the guide to prevent any further mishaps.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2018 04:36 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, same projector my fater had and I still have now.
Memories ye know.
I stil have that projector and a serious beauty it is, along with a great case.
I had to replace the belts that were completely melted away, sadly not with the origenal square belts, so the take up reel slips a bit.
Sometimes the last part of the film lay on the floor, because the take up reel stop rolling

Steve Meyer
Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2018 06:25 PM      Profile for Steve Meyer   Email Steve Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Movies out there to see...

[ July 26, 2018, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Steve Meyer ]

Andrew Smith
Junior

- posted May 09, 2018 03:38 AM      Profile for Andrew Smith   Email Andrew Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a short test screening last night – Disney's 200ft Colour Sound excerpt from The Three Caballeros. It's a lovely sequence and the sealed print I bought has beutiful colour. My one surprise was a rather clunky edit in the middle of the song to remove just the following line in bold.

What means "ay, caramba"?
Oh, yes. I don't know.

Rather jarring and seemingly pointless if you're familiar with the sequence!

Andrew Smith
Junior

- posted May 10, 2018 02:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Smith   Email Andrew Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another test screening, this time the 200ft Ken Films version of Roger Corman's 'Bucket of Blood'. They sensibly focussed on all of the films grizzly aspects at the expense of most of its black humour.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 10, 2018 03:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got out my Eumig 824 to watch my standard 8mm sound 4-reel set of A Night in Casablanca .

-

Then setup my Elmo ST800 to watch L&H in County Hospital and Trip to the Moon .

-

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2018 06:04 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
400ft cut down of "Love at First Bite", going a bit red in the shadows (Eastmancolor)and a bit of intermittent picture unsteadiness, though as it doesn't spool well I might put it through the Carnell "Equaliser" and see if that helps.
Followed by "Popeye Toreador", a Film Office print on Agfa whit French titles but English soundtrack - so no fade but a bit contrasty as not from a perfect master.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 11, 2018 12:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that, Janice!

It looks to me that you're standard 8mm print has a better image quality than the super 8 print I had.

--------------------

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2018 11:50 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice you have quit the library of films. Nice looking prints.

Today I watched Tarzan and the Leopard woman in S8.
1946 film with Johnny Weissmuller, Johnny Sheffield, Brenda Joyce and Cheetah. Brenda starred as Jane in 5 Tarzan movies.
Nice print.

-

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2018 05:40 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scars Of Dracula, Derann full length sold as badly graded night scenes but IMDB indicates some were bad on the 35mm prints too. I found out as on this viewing I though Jenny Hanley had been dubbed (which she had). Good colour on Agfa, bad focus as was on manual.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 15, 2018 11:05 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GREAT colors on that Dracula print! Thanks for that link to all those screeshots! The Abyss must have been marketed both in letterbox and anamorphic scope. I used to have the laserdisc of this, and it was not scope but in a "letterboxed" format, it was wide screen but certainly not scope but boy, would it look good in scope, to be sure!

--------------------

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2018 06:17 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I remember when LD was the rage, this was before dvds. They were not cheap but the album covers were great.I spent my paychecks on those darn things. Still, nothing beats the nostalgia of film:)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2018 11:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So true Alan, so very true!

We screened our latest object of interest, a fairly rare Thunderbirds print of "Happy You and Merry Me", a 1935 (or 36?) Betty Boop cartoon! I was quite surprised as to the very good contrast/grey tones of the print and sharpness, which was always hit or miss on Thunderbird prints!

--------------------

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2018 03:43 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
the DVD Widescreen edition has less image than the old flat Videotape.
Strange but true...
You can see it especially in the scene when Bud is „flying“ to the underwater town with the alien...
And the Derann scope image shows much more - and it knocks Your socks off...!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 17, 2018 11:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curses!

Now I have to add "The Abyss" as a title to find! [Mad] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2018 03:59 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Needed to check a film I purchased recently.
So,to recover from today's Royal Wedding and watching TWO cup finals on the TV (English and Scottish F.A. Cup Final) I watched The Tales of Beatrix Potter which is a ballet on 1x 800' and 1x 600' spool.
The colour was still pretty good, good sound and hardly a mark on it. BUT.... It was chopped abruptly where the original reel changes would have been. Great pity as the classical music just ends in mid flight. Also, I suspect it might have had a bit missing.
If anyone else has this Super 8 feature, can you confirm whether there were any "humans" in your film,please? The reason I ask is that the end credits include 3 human characters, as well as all the actors dressed as animals, but on my copy the humans do not make an appearance. Do I have the normal edit and they forgot to
disregard the actors, or has my copy got something missing?

I look forward to any responses with anticipation.....!

Thanks!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2018 02:49 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this wonderful film on its original 4x400 reels and boxes. It is shortened from the original 90 minutes,I believe one tale is missing!and... Yes,"Beatrix Potter" does appear in the beginning,in a very short prologue.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  212  213  214  215  216  217  218  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC