8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 23, 2016 06:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each of us enjoys this hobby in our own way, Graham! [Big Grin]

I stumbled on an absolutely mint set of guides for my most heavily used machine, so I am good to go for a long time.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 23, 2016 08:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
In these parts Graham, I trust! Might see a big revival for the GS fan club now parts like these are available! [Smile]

I personally, think this is an extremely wise move Graham. [Smile]

Anyone who takes preventable measures to protect our remaining golden prints scores highly in my book.

I've always loved from afar,the complexity and sophistication of the GS 1200, just not its original film path design.

We only get but one chance with these gems now!

Do you believe and trust in him?

-

I do!

[Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 24, 2016 01:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Little Lunchtime Archeology!

It’s early Spring here. One of the things that means is a lot of things that were hidden by the growth of later Spring and Summer are very visible, even if for only a little while. I was out on one of my lunchtime bike rides yesterday when I stumbled on a side trail I’d never noticed before, so in the spirit of exploration I blundered down it and found this:

-

-

In person it’s a pretty astounding object: thick steel girders, maybe 20 feet wide by 20 high when it was standing as its builders intended. Today it’s laying capsized on the forest floor, and probably will until it crumbles to rust.

It happened to be a day when I left my phone on the desk to charge and couldn’t take any pictures. For this I went back again! Knowing the history of the area like I do this is not something I should have accidentally found, I should have been looking for it all along!

It’s natural to ask “What IS it?”, but that’s actually the wrong question.

50 years ago and more it WAS this:

-

-

A long time ago this place was called “Upton Junction” and a lot of World War I and later WWII troop trains started off for New York City here. They were all powered by steam locomotives and they got ready for the trip by filling up from this water tower.

This wasn’t one of those water towers with a spout that the enginemen pulled down and then pull a chain to get the water flowing. The spout was out between the two tracks and there was a concrete block house with the valve inside.

Most of the house is gone today, but the valve is still there:

-

History records that the tank toppled over during a forest fire a few years after the historic pictures shown above were taken. I certainly get the wooden tank failing from the fire, but the steel is still in pretty decent shape despite having the fire and then the fall. You would imagine a heavy steel structure that had held a couple of thousand gallons of water 20 feet in the air through maybe a dozen hurricanes could withstand a little fire better than that! I investigated: one of the footings seems disturbed from its original location. My best guess is when the tank failed a couple of thousand gallons of water very quickly washed the soil around it away, the footing shifted and the tower fell.

It would have been an awesome sight to see!

Very few of the timbers are left, but those that remain are charred.

-

It actually took a lot of timing to make these pictures possible. The Railroad dieselized in the mid-1950s and from that day forward, the tower was a derelict structure. Had that happened 20 years earlier there is no way this much steel would have survived a war time scrap drive.

-so there you have it: a relic from the age of Steam, forgotten yet always waiting to be discovered, again and again I'm sure!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 26, 2016 03:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise Steve I also have a special box of new spares for el Elmo and its a wise move if we are owd timers to take precautionary measures me thinks. As my Dad used to say 'These spares will just about see me out'

Made in Bristol
 -

Also got to go in the cab of the Tornado on a very memorable day.
 -

Full steam ahead in the cab with the massive fire box it sure was boiling. [Eek!]

Interesting points make you do Andy. On the flip side I was very disappointed in the plastic spool retainers expected to support those massive spools on the Beaulieu so let it go. The GS thankfully has metal retainers which I'm more at home with complete with flip over end clip to doubly hold the spool on. Happy days!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 26, 2016 06:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Lee!

When I was about 20 a couple of friends and I went up to Massachusetts to a narrow gauge museum for Railfans Day. We paid extra and got tickets to ride 5 miles in one of the cabs.

In this engine the firebox extends a good 4 feet inside the cab and I was wedged between the firebox side and the cab wall. If it was a hot day it would have been blazing in there, but this was a cold, damp, drizzly day and I was never more comfortable!

Where it got interesting is I have commercial film shot in the 1930s in that engine, in that spot (different railroad, though)...and I just happened to have my movie camera and a couple of cartridges of K40 too!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 26, 2016 09:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely story you have there Steve and what memories.

Its great to have that extra link particularly if it includes a film. After I hopped on my moped in the 70's complete with tripod strapped to my back, Super 8 camera to film a southern steam railway some 80 miles round trip away, in later years I found a little Standard 8 sound film shot only a few years before. I should go back and film it all today...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 26, 2016 09:11 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The clip spool holders are the better designed ones Lee, no doubt about that and the later Beaulieu projectors did have uprated metal spindles with a steel retaining and locking clip built in.

I still maintain though, that even the nylon standard reel holders are ok though, just so long as you only ever fit quality solid centred spools onto them of the correct thickness.

My new ones I fitted a couple of years back are still the same as when I fitted them and the spools even at 700m on fast rewind stay secured to the holder.

If and when I do have an issue in the future, I will get some identical ones made to those Beaulieu fitted to the "Studio" range.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 26, 2016 01:22 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Went to the store where our DVD is currently being sold. I was quite surprised to see how well it was displayed.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 26, 2016 01:27 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How exciting Jean-Marc!!!!! I hope it gets on Netflix here in the US [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 26, 2016 01:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Jean-Marc! [Smile]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 27, 2016 12:38 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today was a most enjoyable day spent at the Heritage park as it was a long weekend it was busy, so made up a 20 minute reel of film and ran the projector with sound and picture. Its the first time I have done this with a full reel... specially edited by yours truly for the occasion [Cool]

It was really good talking to both adults and the kids, plus I brought along the splicer with me so they could cut or splice 24 frames of film, sounds familiar of those long ago days at the cinema. Added to that I found an old B/H Filmsonic 1230 camera, where the kids especially were fascinated by the way you get the distance to focus, simply by aiming it at your subject feet then reading of the distance to focus...its very accurate.... they had a lot of fun with that camera.

The image from the Westar projector was very small indeed, with huge amount of light coming from all over the place, but might work on something in the coming weeks to improve that [Roll Eyes]
 -
the potential to do a more with this projector is there that's if I can convince the folk at the park....
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 29, 2016 05:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More of a Easter weekend in pictures for us and a trip back to 1977 for our SW extravaganza which was superb fun.
 -

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 29, 2016 06:07 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very clever that focusing arrangement in the Bell and Howell camera, Graham. If I remember correctly there was a pendulum inside the camera.
Worked fine, as long as you were not standing on a hill! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 31, 2016 01:41 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought about that Paul [Smile]

A line up of lots of little yellow "Kodak Moments" of the 1974 Commonwealth Games I will soon be sorting out on the editor. What I have seen so far looks really good [Cool]
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 31, 2016 04:31 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice evening watching the outtakes from Magical Mystery Tour.
 -

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 10, 2016 03:48 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just back from my first Holiday in Latin America.
 -
Iguazu falls, Bresilian side.
 -
It is said that they are bigger than the Niagara falls.
 -
The Argentinian side.
 -
Surprise : a 16 mm projector in the museum of the railway in Asunción, Paraguay.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 10, 2016 04:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks beautiful Dominique, and I don't mean the projector ha ha.
Never been to that part of the world but the falls look spectacular!

Seen Niagara, but Iguazu is new to me here Dom. [Smile]
Hope you had a superb relaxing time there Dominique.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 11, 2016 05:56 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I has, Andrw, thanks. Not easy to come back to the normal life, especially with the jet lag. Tomorrow, back to work...

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 11, 2016 06:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, the swear word...Work! Arghhh. Ha ha.

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2016 08:15 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a fun time Dominique!
I wonder if those falls are bigger, meaning, wider....but not necessarily higher. Maybe they are higher. Niagara boasts lots of water falling more than height.... It is hard to tell from a couple pics...but i've heard the experience at Iguazu is much better as it is more nature -like, whereas Niagara is a tourist trap-he hee. Glad you had fun and are back safe.

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 11, 2016 08:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being that I live in New York State I've been to Niagara Falls only once. (We never go see our own stuff!)

I thought it would be bigger!

Then again when I was standing on the shore a thousand feet upstream later on that day, I looked at that current from the point of view of somebody that canoes and it was downright scary!

There's a barge stuck on a shoal a few hundred feet upstream of the Canadian Falls. Back close to a hundred years ago three men were working on it when it broke loose from the dock and was headed over the edge in less than a minute with absolutely nothing they could do.

-a time of fervent prayer I'm sure!

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 11, 2016 09:01 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking the elevator down behind Niagara Falls, and stepping out on the ledge behind that thundering volume of water, is an experience I will never forget.
And lets not forget that Niagara is one of the wonders of the world, along with Marilyn Monroe!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2016 09:06 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the elevator down behind Niagra Falls, and stepping out on the ledge behind that thundering volume of water
I'ee been there too Paul and you are correct, a very powerful experience....water is an amazing thing really.

Bill [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 11, 2016 11:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Work Plant

I have this Amaryllis on top of my bookshelf at work. As of this morning it looks like this.

-

This plant is kind of a refugee. A friend gave it to my wife about a year ago and then the cat decided to kill it, so it came out here with me.

That it's survived this long is kind of a miracle: given my history with plants it may have been better off with the cat! I've killed basically any plant I've ever taken care of including a cactus! It's not that I hate them or anything...they just don't seem to thrive under my care. (Helps to water them, I guess!...-you just can't please some...organisms!)

-as a matter of fact I managed to reduce it to this about a month ago:

-

-but as they said in Jurassic Park: "Life will find a way!".

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2016 12:04 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get to Niagara Falls about 2 times a year. I live only 40 mins drive from them. Sadly, the 'behind the falls' experience can no longer be experienced as such...It has been several years now, but they have barricaded it off a good 10 feet back now because of erosion. I have pictures somewhere of behind the falls looking down, and yes, it was overwhelming. To think people go over in a barrel is truly nuts.
I heard the maid of the midst opened up the earliest it ever has this year, because of being milder, April 2nd. it is a fun ride. I like the daring boat operators who bring you right up close into the wake a bit....
For those who ever visit the Canadian side and have more time...downstream the gorge(towards Lake Ont) you get to an area called the Glen. http://www.infoniagara.com/recreation/niagara_glen/images/Niagara_Glen.png
You park at the top and hike down through amazing scenery and then get to watch the jetboats going by at the bottom... https://www.niagarafallstourism.com/site/assets/files/4808/img_8870.jpg

http://www.hember.ca/hikes/NiagaraGorge/NiagaraGlenTrailsMap800px.jpg

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC