8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 150)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  147  148  149  150  151  152  153  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 09, 2013 02:35 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fog ... Awesome, just awesome

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 09, 2013 03:32 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By now we will all be more or less working up to a our film screening frenzies as we approach that special time of year to entertain folk. At the moment we have just started our celebration screenings of beloved Collectors Club films with part one ‘The Cartoons’ of which they released 20+ in super 8 sound.

Watched and screened by release year..
Music Lesson, Jungle Jazz, Cactus King, Animal Scraps, Box of Tricks, Dollar Wise, Foxing Clever, Ghost House, Home sweet home, Spy da fly, Jack’s Beans, Magic Lamp.

CC Feature was ‘ The Card’ 1952 with Alec Guinness

On display was some of my CC memorabilia including my first welcome letter after joining ‘the club’.

GOLDEN MEMORIES!

[ October 09, 2013, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2013 05:05 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice films Tom, only 62mm missing from the "Kelly's Heroes" trailer. I have the same titles you showed all good prints.

Used to deal with Roger too, with his various companies, with you living down there he would have been local to you.

Did you know that his son is kind of still into film via film to dvd? Lost the web address so unable to post it. He does give a little of the history though.

Found it Roger Lilley

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 09, 2013 12:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good color on that "Samson" print Laksmi ...

"The Fog" is also a favorite on our house as well. It's old school horror, with a few slight touches of "Close Encounters" (the scene in the super market early on, when things go, let us say "wrong"). John Carpenter and his special effects wizards did an excellent job of managing to give the actual "fog" shots a feeling of evil and almost intelligence, very hard to achieve with "vapors"!

It's fun to compare this film with the remake and see just how messed up remakes can be.

By the way, Derann did a very good 600ft digest of this as well, that flows quite well.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 09, 2013 12:42 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, yep we are still in touch with Phil Lilly,(all be it rarely), as he has transfered a couple of our 8mm home movies to DVD for us.
Those fog effects are pretty good for the time, no CGI crap in this film. Not seen the re-make, i try and avoid re-makes if i can but they can be a laugh, i hope they never do Dark Star, the effects and whole look of the film is what makes it a classic.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 09, 2013 02:01 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about to light the Xenon for the final CC cartoon fest as follows.
Careless Stork, Cats Chorus, Crusoe Broadcast, Cuckoo cat, Goonland, Never changes me altitude, Jacks beans, Kittie brats, Lessons for the birds, Magic lamp, Popeye meets Sinbad, Range Rider.

Feature: Carry on Doctor. [Cool]

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2013 02:28 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,this is THE FINISHING TOUCH,not HOG WILD.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2013 07:59 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I'm in the mood for campy black and white with BATMAN super 8mm digest 400 reel
 -
 -
 -
 -  -
 -  -

[ October 10, 2013, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 02:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

A few snaps from the Collectors Club cartoon show.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neat Laksmi!

That 30's Batman looks as good as the 60's TV Batman at least.

I wonder if "Greg McClure" (in the credits) was the father of Doug McClure, the great B movie actor?

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2013 12:57 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, it was good to have this tribute to the Collector's Club cartoons.They are rare,mostly original black and white Terrytoons,Van Beurens and Fleiscers from the thirties.The problem with the (rarer) Terrytoons is that some are retitled.I SPY DA FLY is BUGS BEETLE AND HIS ORCHESTRA (1938) and CAT'S CHORUS is (if I am not wrong),the 1951 color IF THE CATS COULD SING.I have about ten,and I have ordered another five or six,which I will get at the BFCC in two weeks.The only one I wouldn't buy is POPEYE MEETS SINBAD,since the complete color two reeler exists. CC had also a number of silent Felixes which they discontinued when they moved to super 8.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2013 01:27 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the third reel for Star Trek the Trouble with Tribbles. It still has some color left but there is def some red in it.

I tried balancing it with blue cellophane but it was waaaaay too blue. And the picture was fuzzy. Maybe I should just try finding a lighting gel.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 01:41 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Panayotis
Yep I have Popeye meets Sinbad in colour and its excellent viewing but being a CC nut I had to have the little 200ft B&W to complete the list as it were. You know how it goes with collecting you just have to get the whole set.

Enjoy your film screenings folks!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 02:01 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About one hour ago, I watched one home movie and County Hospital (with Laurel And Hardy), the 600 feet Film Office version (in English with French subitles).

--------------------
Dominique

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 03:38 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I watched a lovely movie in 35mm ... The Straight Story

-

Lovely to see Sissy Spacek again too, not seen her in a movie for ages
 -

-

-

-

And one of my favorite actors, Harry Dean Stanton
 -

Highly recommend this movie

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2013 04:01 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that your print of THE STRAIGHT STORY?

If so, I envy you. That is a wonderful film.

Bill [Smile]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 04:08 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is. I just bought it for 500,- NOK (About 80 or 90 dollar I believe)

Very happy with it. Not too bad all through. A few problems at the end of a couple of reels only, but not too bad

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 10, 2013 07:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Vidar's screen shots make me realize why people collect 35mm!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2013 12:35 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night after Batman I watched SUPERMAN BILLION DOLLAR LIMITED super 8 color sound 200 reel . I never get sick of these cartoons. The action .the lighting effects, and the action is like a real movie. You really get into them for a little while you get caught up in the story. And there so much detailed its like a work of art. They should make live action movies like these. I wish the movies about superheroes were this good.  -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 11, 2013 12:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi and his "hero" films ... [Big Grin]

I agree, "The Straight Story" is a magnificent film. Richard Farnsworth was nominated for an Academy Award for his acting in that film and I was so longing to see him win (he didn't) ...

but it is such a touching (and by the way ... TRUE) story, you can't but be caught up in the reality of the whole thing. The storytelling is much like that in Tender Mercies, episodic, (another film I highly admire).

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2013 11:04 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 16mm feature I just watched is my favorite Roger Corman film. "The Raven" from 1963. Starring Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Hazel Court, Jack Nicholson and Olive Sturgess. The screenplay is by the late, great Richard Matheson.

There are only a few splices. Good color. Filmed in Panavision but not a 'Scope print. It's not really Pan and Scan, either. It's more like Cut and Scan. Instead of panning, the editors cut left to right or right to left back and forth across the 2.35:1 image to fit the 1.33:1 frame. Frequently. It was a bit jarring the first time I ran the film but I've gotten used to it.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 12, 2013 12:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked that film and I felt it was the best pairing of all these horror superstars in one film. I have always relished the idea of of taking the final battle of Sorcerers and cutting it differently, so that it would be extended (it's far too short, I think), taking the original footage minus special effects, and adding modern special effects (lightning and stuff), but making sure it has the same film feel, so that it wouldn't look like it was added.

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 12, 2013 12:55 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CGI often do look like it was added though :-/

Saw two 16mm features today
American Dreamer
 -

-

-
JoBeth Williams is a charming woman [Smile]

The Assassination Bureau
 -

-

[ October 12, 2013, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Vidar Olavesen ]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 13, 2013 05:03 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A viewing with three friends today

Silent films, Charlie Chaplin in The Count, Abbott & Costello in No Bulls Please and Midget Car Maniacs and Road Runner in Lickety Splat and Zip'N Snort
 -

Little Caesar, 1200'
 -

The Coca-Cola Kid, 16mm
 -

-

-

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 13, 2013 08:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Blackhawk Laurel and Hardy 400 Footers:

"Them Thar Hills" followed by its sequel "Tit for Tat".

(pom pom!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  147  148  149  150  151  152  153  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC