8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 204)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  201  202  203  204  205  206  207  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2017 12:17 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Steve what a nice print. Great color and clarity.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 18, 2017 08:24 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning print! Beautiful color and superb quality. Well done Steve in acquiring such a lovely print.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 18, 2017 11:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of the film but I totally agree, stunning image! I was just stating on another series of posts that super 8 companies were able to even rival 16MM with the image quality on super and you have proved that yet again! Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 20, 2017 10:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the first day of Spring and after nearly getting frostbite last week defrosting my wife's car I celebrated the way I always do: the great BTF film "Journey into Spring".

-for some reason I can't begin to explain I led off with "Donald Duck's Dilemmas". but I guess we all have to start somewhere!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 25, 2017 06:45 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This afternoon : On The Night Stage, a 1915 American silent film.

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 27, 2017 04:42 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 - 400ft. Reels of Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly shorts. Last night I watched my favorite Top Flat (1935).
Patsy and two friends visit Thelma at a penthouse apartment where they think Thelma lives. However Thelma just works there as a maid. Patsy and her friends make a lot of noise partying it up which promotes a phone call from the apartment manager. Thelma answers the phone in her French maid accent, "Oui monsieur..." Patsy says, "Why are you talking French?" and Thelma not wanting to come clean that she is just a maid replies, "...because it's a French phone." That line always cracks me up. [Smile] A ridiculous response, but Patsy buys it [Smile] Meanwhile the 2 guys are dropping paper bag water bombs onto unsuspecting people on the street below. Eventually Thelma has to confess to Patsy and then struggles to get everyone out of the apartment before the owners get back home. Total ciaos and very funny!

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 28, 2017 12:34 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, College with Buster Keaton.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2017 06:29 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night "Bugsy Malone" Walton 4x400ft bought S/H from Derann as A/B some wear. On Fuji so all colour there but looking a little brown in the shadows.
 -
 -
 -

Plus "Buccaneer Bunny" Agfa from Derann in a Movieola box but with a Techno logo on the trailer - one of the best colour and low grain prints I have seen.
 -
 -
 -

The only fault is a green lab scratch near the end - not on photos.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 04, 2017 06:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great looking bugs bunny thereBrian.i have this one but its an original techno so not at all very good.would love to five one looking like this. I wasnt aware derann re released it.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 04, 2017 09:10 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have the Moviola series Buccaneer Bunny: it's an excellent cartoon and really nice print too. A couple of years ago it was queued up to be on screen at CineSea but got bumped off because someone else got on screen with a 16mm print first.

-it was a wasted opportunity to screen them side by side!

8mm Forum Veteran Lee Mannering was in Bugsy Malone. By any chance does the 4x400 have a ukulele band in it?

-If it does, there he is.

Last night here:

Sounds of Arizona (Derann, scope)
Movies that Talk and Sing (Blackhawk)
Thunder Steam on the Blue Ridge (Blackhawk)
Boundin' (Derann, Pixar)

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2017 03:47 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought tonight I would sit down and watch a recently acquired film. It was the 3x 400' version of Jane Fonda's "Barbarella."

I can say hand on heart and without hesitation that this is the biggest load of garbage I have ever seen on 8mm, and that is from someone who has "Disco Beaver" in his collection!

I thought I would cheer myself up after it by winding down with "The Dwarf's Dilemma," the 200' excerpt from Snow White, another purchase I had not checked. Quite badly scratched at the beginning and a nasty sound problem for most of the film.

It's not been one of my best super 8 nights. I think I am going to bed now with a nice cup of cocoa!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 08, 2017 04:42 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimy Melvin, sorry to hear that, i know what its like to have a disappointment, have to admit the i am now enjoying our 16mm films now my NT1 is back up and running, i have purchased my first scope feature on 16 which is kidnapped. im now trying to obtain a scope bracket to fit the machine using the sankor 16C. i dont wish to spend a fortune though.
Tonight i only viewed one short which was my recent purchase of The Rose, quite a good 400 footer & with excellent colour and not a mark on it [Wink]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2017 06:19 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of hybrid two reelers. The Walton 2 x 200ft "That's Carry On" pert one is very pink and part 2 on LPP pristine. Also "The Bugs Bunny Mystery Show" Derann released in 2 parts again mixed Part 1 SP and a bit faded and part 2 on LPP and looking great.

Oh why did these 2 have to span the change in stock and have part good - part bad?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 09, 2017 07:26 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Jerry Lewis film : The Bellboy. I have a French language version (youpie) mounted on two 240 mt/800 ft spools. Since my stock of large spools is low, I decided to let this film on those "small" ones for the moment. The change between the two parts was quick so it was nice.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2017 03:20 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2 Ken extracts from Star Wars both Sp but still showing all colours. By mistake I showed extract 2, in scope, first so the lens was in place for the opening of extract one -the first shot and the titles are squeezed so the ship appearing over the camera attacking Princess Leia's ship showed its full impact.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 13, 2017 04:42 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, we love those Jerry Lewis films, i keep looking out on 16mm for them but they go for much more than i wish to pay, have many on DVD.

Tonight we viewed our 4 x 400ft version of the classic modern horror The Texas Chainsaw massacre. I purchased this new from Iver in 1978/9 & it is holding up very well. It was one that was viewed weekly for the first year i had it to many audiences.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

These images really do not do it justice. [Wink]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 14, 2017 12:48 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I like Jerry Lewis as well. They showed many of his films on tv when I was kid but sadly they tend to show only recent films nowadays. You will hardly see black and white films on French speaking national channels.
This morning, I projected A Night In Casablanca, the famous Marx Brothers film. My copy is in English but has (youpie again) French subtitles.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2017 05:27 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely on original release the only way you could see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre outside the GLC area (which had granted it a certificate when the BBFC had refused it) was on Super 8 which didn't need censors approval. Must have been good for Iver's sales.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 15, 2017 12:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Tom! Stunning "Bug's bunny cartoon!

I should pull out my "Bugsy" feature as well. Mine, however, is an optical sound print, which was culled together from two seperate optical sound prints, on two different film stocks. Most of it has very good color and the last reel, on the other is OK color but not as good as the first reels, but all the reels are sharp, to be sure, but I admire that Derann print!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 15, 2017 02:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched, what else, Easter Parade. I have the excellent MGM 400ft digest, but that is pretty red these days and painful to look at. So the evenings viewing was the Blu Ray, projected on a 70 ins wide 4:3 screen.
The Techchnicolor 'print' is stunningly beautiful, and this film must surely rank right up there with Singin'In The Rain' as one of MGM's very best musicals.
I had not seen Easter Parade in many years, and in terms of acting, cinematography, music, and production values, it surely represents the absolute pinnacle of the musical film art form. Just a wonderful movie.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 15, 2017 02:41 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
100% in complete agreement with you Paul. Another timeless classic.

We watched King Of Kings only a day or so ago on our screen digitally. Truly magnificent screenplay.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 22, 2017 10:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, inspired by the conversation I've been having with Osi this week, we watched "Rabbit Fire".

Then inspired by the Blackhawk scored "A Trip to the Moon" I just recently got we watched if followed by the "Hugo" BluRay on the VP.

-nice show!

-

--------------------

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2017 07:00 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last night; the fog full lenght in scope,very Sharp image for a super 8 scope print and excelente color after all these years,the quality of thisprint it,s better than mine Halloween also in scope.

best;
luis caramelo

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 27, 2017 08:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great choice for a fabulous nights viewing any time of the year Luis! [Wink]

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2017 02:40 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, Fritz Lang's DR MABUSE,THE GAMBLER (Or,THE FATAL PASSION OF DR MABUSE or, in this american print,"FATAL PASSIONS,directed by Fritz Lange (!!!)". In this one,the bad doctor,under many disguises, uses his hypnotic powers to make his opponents lose at big card games or,seduce women,or both.Grand fun,with social overtones,his passion is to acquire (power),toss the women and eventually rule the world. Average print,4x400 std 8. Larry Semon's THE CLOUDHOPPER. This copy I edited from Castle's A WEAKEND DRIVER and a more complete but choppy one from Denmark to make a more or less complete two reeler. Very funny,but,what Senmon is not?
The night before,DAISY TOWN,the Lucky Luke feature,shortened.The seven extracts issued by Film Office,joined together in sequence,make an hour long feature out of the original 72 minutes.Sharp animation with exellent colors and sound.It captures the essence of the books beautifully.Super 8. Chaplin's DOG'S LIFE.The complete 3,5 reeler in a Spanish copy with an apropriate soundtrack but unfortunately badly destroyed for a good part of its length. Finally,GYMNASIUM JIM.One of the continuously exellent Mack Sennett Billy Bevan comedies of the mid twenties,with Kewpie Morgan and Marvin Lobeck (but without Andy Clyde!) In this one, Billy competes in a fixed boxing game. Nice std 8 print.

[ May 01, 2017, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: Panayotis A. Carayannis ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  201  202  203  204  205  206  207  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC