8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Northwest Film Fair Hilton Hotel Blackpool (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: Northwest Film Fair Hilton Hotel Blackpool
Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2014 04:10 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Lee. i dont really understand that more wives/partners dont attend. i know you see several about on the day, but with it now being more of a long weekend. there are lots of shops just a tram ride down the seafront, should they tire of film. and after all, what woman wants to refuse a nice weekend away in a hotel.so lets see more this year. my wife for one, is certainly looking forward to it. as to us doing the friday. well its her birthday. so working on that one.

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 04, 2014 06:23 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely right Paul its a wonderful opportunity for any couple to get away for a few days and if one partner isn't into film there are lots of shops and things to do at this coastal resort. I'm guessing all those years ago when the Blackpool extravaganza started the fact it was going to be at the seaside was a big factor on location and another draw. Sadly at my own film fair we don't have the sea but we do have a canal. [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 04, 2014 09:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife would rather stick her head in a box of spiders than go to a film convention l.o.l. (By the way she is arachnophobic!)

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2014 11:25 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we first went it was still organised by Regent Films and I think Bill Davison the 8mm reviewer from Movie Maker.

At that time I was still single so me and a mate used to go. Although there was no Saturday night dinner, we used to get there on the Saturday afternoon for a relax.

I think the first ones I went to were at the Queens hotel not far from Regent's shop. It then moved to the Gables/Balmoral for a while.

I remember seeing the old owner of Regent Les Siddel I think it was on the ticket table when it had moved to Cliffs. The last ones we went to were at the Savoy. Had got married and the wife who's Thai did more moaning and groaning about it been cold.

Did anyone here attend the other event in the mid 80's I think again at the Cliffs, but not done by Regent Films or Derann, plus it could have been a two day event.

I'll try to attend this year though.

I still remember Derek behind his stand doing a brisk trade, sure his eyes were like the cartoon where you see £ signs.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2014 01:20 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can count me in on this one havent been for many years but looking forward to it ,chc on 16th august first and then blackpool in november doesnt get any better so glad i got back into this hobby

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2014 12:35 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few low cost bed and breakfast accommodation venues.
Beachwood Guest House £15 01253 401951
Romley House £15 01253283440
Mickledene Guest house £15 01253 423048
Prices from..plus a walk, bus or tram.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 06, 2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you going to reveal who's coming? Wracking my brains for actors with over 70 films, but come up with nothing. English or american or other?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 11, 2014 07:16 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased to confirm details regarding the 2014 Saturday night NORTHERN FILM COLLECTORS' DINNER at the Hilton. As last year, it will be a three course dinner starting at 8.00pm, with our private bar open from 7.30pm. There will be the customary prize quiz and the popular raffle with great prizes, which will include brand new recent trailer releases on Super 8 and 16mm. There may be a brief comedy spot but that will be confirmed nearer to the time, if it's happening. The evening of course ends with a film show lasting around an hour, which this year will be presented by Simon McConway. This will be a unique show, as it will include camera original Super 8 footage shot by Simon himself at various conventions and events over the years, possibly right up to the present day. So many of the audience are likely to be on the big screen too!

The price is £20, which in fact is cost price this year. If you are booked into the Hilton for dinner, B&B, you can simply transfer your meal to the Collectors' Dinner at no extra charge. Anyone dining elsewhere can opt for 'entertainment only' admission from 9.30pm. This costs £3 and enables you to attend the film show and buy raffle tickets if you wish. Last year, some said the meal was the best they have ever had in the event's long history, so you can expect an evening packed with good food, film and fun!

Please supply a SAE if you want your tickets and the information sheet to be posted to you, otherwise I can simply email you a confirmation and details. I accept payment by cheque or Pay Pal. Please email me via the link above and I'll supply my address and one or two other details.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2014 06:32 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony Daniels

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2014 06:06 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to miss last year due to surgery just before so intend to make it again this time. Will try to get there for the Friday film show.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 17, 2014 04:24 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long are we going to wait in suspense to know who's coming?

:-)

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2014 04:35 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you will see him on the day unless you guess who it is

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 18, 2014 01:45 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
:-) Are you sure more people wouldn't come if they knew who it was?

Malcolm McDowell?

No hints? English? Woman or man?

I suppose I'll be in the nuthouse soon and can't go :-/ Ha, ha

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 18, 2014 05:59 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a man as David annouced an actor and in his last post used the word "him". He's probably British otherwise I guess an international actor would have been announced. I wonder why the convention is held on a Sunday. It makes it impossible for those who come from far away by train to attend it unlsee they can stay until the Monday.

--------------------
Dominique

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 18, 2014 02:12 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Griffiths?

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2014 03:07 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be there from Friday you can book a mini break Thursday to Monday most hotels do this so no excuses see you there

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2014 03:11 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think he died last year sadly. Saying that I was going to mention someone only to find he had died.

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 18, 2014 03:22 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you're right ... I only thought of him as I just watched Withnail and I. Probably not him then. Damn, it's difficult, there's so many actors.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2014 06:17 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, but the BFCC most big film events in the UK were held on Sundays-Blackpool always was, if memory helps; that's the tradition-same as DERANN's Open days...

--------------------
Yannis

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 19, 2014 07:22 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yannis, I just asked if there was a specific reason. The only time I attended at BFCC was last year and it was on a Saturday (but being held in London I think it is less problematic regarding transportation).

--------------------
Dominique

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2014 12:56 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Broadbent

--------------------

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2014 05:49 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique it's got to do with the shops open on Saturdays & the collectors & sellers'shopping before Sunday....

--------------------
Yannis

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2014 05:08 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I well remember Derann open days not having the shop front doors open because of UK Sunday trading laws and having to use the side door to the car park. Also another (PM Films possibly) having to move locations after announcing the venue for the same reasons.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2014 05:38 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know when that changed but I always remember entering DERANN from the main entrance on their open days-at least from '99 & on....

--------------------
Yannis

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2014 07:06 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, I remember the side door entrance to the open days too.
they even had to cover the non-film items, TV's etc to comply with Sunday trading laws.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC