8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Here's your 2nd chance in case you missed it the first time... (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Here's your 2nd chance in case you missed it the first time...
Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 07:32 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first saw Keau Reeves in Bill and Ted the memory is etched in my head.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 07:33 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing wrong to make a profit out of our hobby. At least, it works to keep my hobby alive without need to sell my kidneys, wife and kids... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 07:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I simply just have to WORK very very hard for my living!

That does it for me!!

Around 15 mile per 12.5 hr shift day and night!
Try it, you might just find it does you some good.
Inner cleansing, and a true reality check I find!

Remind me never ever ever to allow one single 50ft trailer to EVER land in your hands!

"I quiver in fear" of the the very fact!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 17, 2017 07:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inner cleansing?

-Most get by with a high fiber diet!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 07:57 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No No No not I!

Nor Frickin Winbert I suspect!!!

You like picking up on the one liners rather than than whole context of a script, don't you Steve?

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 17, 2017 08:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this make it all better? [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 08:10 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really, Winbert has well and truly repulsed me to the Pit of my stomach!

Exactly the kind of the of collector which I am repulsed by!

It's all about the money money!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI

True collectors could not give a flying F$()

I eagerly await his reply!!!

Oh he has gone to bed, now ain't that a surprise? (NOT!!!!)

Tomorrow is another day Winbert, but believe me, I have well and truly got your card marked!!

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 09:02 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jessie J was quite right when she says

quote:
It's not about the money, money, money
Unfortunately to have a super 8mm print we need money ...LOL!! [Big Grin]

Unless the government starts to include super 8mm as a basic human need so there is a subsidy scheme for it ...mega LOL!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Let us make it right that this is a hobby. There some people fund it from their hard daily works, and some other just simply selling his/her items to fund for another purchase.

There is nothing wrong with that. Only hoarding attitude is the problem, something we need to anticipate it not to fall into this phenomenon.

I remember David Hardy has once started a discussion about this very issue not a long ago.

Collector or hoarder

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 09:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
bery or very ? Bring it on!!

Never once upon my death bed will you EVER EVER come close to some of of your wildest fantasies! I Promise YOU that!
I absolutely loathe with a passion, people with your attitude!

--------------------

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2017 12:28 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I've noticed personally is that my attitude towards money can change quite a bit depending on the circumstances. I've had the experience of having had very little to spare, - searching for change in the couch cushions etc.

This was after having a period of relative comfort. I could go out to eat when I wanted, took a nice vacation every year, maybe even two. Had newer car and a nice little townhouse. Then things changed. Let me tell you it was much easier for me to not care about money when I had enough that I didn't need to. [Wink]

In both times of comfort and scarcity I was working quite hard. And even when I didn't have a lot to spare, I still found some money to donate to causes I cared about and I donated my time as well.

Like Winbert, I've definitely sold some of my personal items in order to supplement the money I have available for my hobbies. And I honestly I can find it cleansing to decrease the amount of stuff I have around. Some things I give away or sell dirt cheap. I try not to throw anything away that someone else might have a use for.

I'm never looking to make a huge profit but what it can come down to is that if I want something, it means I'm going to have to sell something else. I see that as responsible management of our household finances and limited space, - not a moral failing.

An alternative would be to get another job on the side, but then I'd have less time for my family and my hobbies. A wise person once told me than no one on their deathbed ever wishes that they had spent more of their life working.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2017 05:23 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Tom for your balanced and polite reply on this thread full of otherwise increasingly rude and insulting to our intelligence posts.

My personal scenario is very close to yours and I suspect many others on here too that no longer post for fear of personal attack and unfair criticism.

Any discussion on the right to spend money and how people make their money in the first place, along with the moralistic / amateur mental analysis that some current and ex-collectors feel they have to come up with for anyone who still enjoys this hobby, has no place at all on these forums.

My recommendation - stop replying to any posts that are written to obviously antagonise and cause argument - with a bit of luck the regular writers of such drivel will then sink to the bottom and disappear along with their un-responded to posts.

Kevin

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 18, 2017 06:07 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know many collectors, in film and other areas, who are serious about their hobby and have no problem with the word "profit".
They are happy to move items on at a profit in order to fund their hobby. I am of exactly the same mind.

With respect, I feel that it's ridiculous to suggest that being a "true collector" and wanting to sell films on at a profit are incompatible.

Andrew, I don't know you and you're probably a very nice fella. However, you should try reining it in a little at times. I'm not at all sure what Winbert has done to deserve the tone of your last few posts directed at him.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 18, 2017 07:23 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More than once I've had a collector offer me a film at a price that was telling me "I want you to have this film", a couple of times they've even given them to me.

I've bought many bust-out retail too.

-Their films, their choice.

I have no problem with what Winbert wants to do, but you see that's not particularly important because they are his choices and pretty much none of my business.

If I didn't like what he was asking for a print, I'd have these choices:

1) Negotiate

2) Walk away.

-Not an issue.

I don't have any more right to set his price than he has to force me to buy.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 18, 2017 12:04 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought today might be the start of a nice, relaxing weekend....I see I was wrong. I will be posting a new topic in a bit about completely unnecessary, caustic replies.

Insert shot of sped up clock hands, calendar pages falling and time lapse of numerous sunrises and sunsets.

Done. Please see Rule #1? Glad You asked.

For now, this thread remains closed.

Doug

[ March 18, 2017, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC