Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope things improve for you Steve, but what we read here in the news about the US to be honest things don't look good. The Delta appears to be many times more transmittable than the original, what's more, is more young kids are getting sick and landing up in hospital with it.

Although I mentioned above about kids are more likely to give adults bugs. I think I am wrong in this case, as it looks like it might be the other way around. What we are reading here, is about the pressure and frustration that your hospital staff are being put under, due mainly to the majority of preventable adult cases being admitted to hospital, that never took the vaccine when they had the chance to do so.

My understanding of the vaccine is that you can still be a carrier of the virus and pass it on to those like children who are not in the group to be vaccinated at the moment. I am not sure what the answer is, but for all adults to take the vaccine would go a long way to getting things under some sort of control.

Comment

• Welllll...

The good news for us is a study found that the folks that already had it before the vaccine develop a much stronger response post-vaccination. If so, the three of us should have better than average immunity!

-let's face it: we were stuck to go on the journey, we may as well get to bring home a souvenir!

Comment

• This is true. Consultant told us 700% more T cells
        Our mission now is to support others locally and get the kids jabbed.
        jabbed.Those of us who suffered it early can encourage others to get the vaccine. No brainer
        I don't want to see anyone go thru what we both endured..never

Comment

• Steve

My understanding at the moment, is that they still recommend taking the vaccine as well, as it has showed to be very effective against the variants. That would guarantee you a full cover.

Comment

• True: we got ours at the beginning of the summer.

What I was concerned about is the idea that immunity directly from the virus was short lived and the shot's immunity would last much longer.

There was also the freedom dimension. For example, at work the policy was all masks all the time, but once you get your second shot you could get this tag about the size of a motorcycle license plate that told the world you were good to breath your air directly from the atmosphere!

They reversed this about two weeks ago, but for a while they became very fashionable! (We're hoping they will soon reverse their reversal.)

-it was so much easier to troubleshoot without the puffs of steam on my glasses.
            Last edited by Steve Klare; August 12, 2021, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Our best friends in town have come down with the covid, and they chose not to get the shots. While they are all getting some fairly mild cases of it, I fear the potential side affects that can come with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
                True: we got ours at the beginning of the summer.

What I was concerned about is the idea that immunity directly from the virus was short lived and the shot's immunity would last much longer.
                I heard that the antibodies from the the virus didn't last very long but the memory T-cells lasted and could start the production of antibodies if re-infected and that the best protection might be vaccine and infection. However I'll be happy to just stick with the vaccine.

Comment

• -best alternative!

I figured that out about 20 years ago: I got the Flu and lay shivering with fever a couple of days.

-I haven't missed the flu shot once in the years since.

(It's just not worth it!)

Comment

• I myself have only taken the flu shot about the last 8 years. I only really started when my job with Go-Bus meant driving special needs kids to school and back. Although it was up to the individual to decide if they wanted to get a free one or not. My thinking at the time was to be on the safe side and take it.

Even though I no longer drive for them "they lost the contract" I still get the yearly flu jab as its free for those over 65 years of age. Although in saying that, one year even after getting the jab I still got a good dose of the flu. I later asked my regular GP during a check up about it. His answer to me was a simple one regarding the vaccine that year, saying "quote"....they didn't get the mix quite right.........I guess nothing is perfect in this world that's for sure

Comment

• I've had that myself at least once although it was pretty light-duty flu.

It's interesting how they predict this year's flu. Because of our two hemispheres, the flu doesn't just disappear for nine months. Instead it crosses the equator and has a repeat performance months later with some new material. What that other hemisphere is experiencing is a pretty decent first approximation to what will happen in yours next winter.

I'm a pretty nostalgic guy, but often I'm pretty grateful for the times we live in. Back in the good old days, there wasn't a jab. Whichever plague was sweeping through killed as many people as it could until it got down to whoever had natural immunities and burned itself out. You and I are the descendants of those people.

Me? I'll take the jab!

Comment

• I am the same as Graham on this. I used to never get the flu shot at all, until about ten years ago, when I had the monster of all flus ,hacking and coughing all night. I even had a yellow plastic bowl next to the bed, as I would lurch up and have to dispense of enormous amounts of flem, but the worst part was when I coughed and hacked so bad, that actually sprained the muscles in my chest! As of that next year, I started getting the yearly jab, as I never want to go through that again!

Comment

• The thing that worries me is that, as most people in Britain was taking more precautions than usual and there was no widespread 'flu last year they have less information to predict which strain(s) they should vaccinate against.

Comment

• Brian, that's quite an insight, you may well be right.

Comment

• I have deleted a few posts here.

I wrote this back on March 26th when this thread went off track:

This has been an incredibly useful and informative thread telling fellow members about what it's like to get the Covid-19 virus, to live through the effects, and about getting the vaccinations. Lee started this topic almost seven months ago and we owe him a great deal of thanks along with everyone here who has contributed. Please....let's not get sidetracked by bringing in these "unsubstantiated tales".

Now five months later, we've returned to that territory, along with some political perspectives. This topic is closed for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X