Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have my first vaccination appointment early next month. I had coronavirus so I should have some lingering immunity, I'm just doing it for the freedom to go places and do things.

What baffles me is the idea that the vaccines give longer term immunity than the disease itself. Let's face it: a vaccine is some biological trick we pull on our immune system to make it produce antibodies to whatever disease we're concerned about. How can the real thing be less effective at this?

The lady I carpool with (well...used to) almost gets the Flu vaccine every year. Every year I ask her about it and she just doesn't ever quite get around to it. I was a lot more like that before the last time I got the Flu! These days I skip the first week or so to avoid the wait at the clinic from the mad rush. Week 3 or 4 I'm 10 minutes and done.

Comment

The vaccine only provides protection for around 6 months maximum, so regular boosters, like the flu jab, look like being the norm for the foreseeable future.

If only the western world had taken the same route as Taiwan. This article makes it clear that an island nation like the UK could have had such a different outcome than the one we ended up with.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...as-uk-faltered

Comment

Hi Gary - very interesting article! 👍

Unfortunately it was inevitable in the western world, as their real priorities always (foolishly) remain centered on their economies, freedom of movement/speech, and their innate sense of superiority over (and suspicion of) eastern cultures! 🙄

Coupled with the fact that they never learn the lessons of even the most recent history ☹️

Comment

Yes Ali, things could have been so different but (most of) the media presents everything that has happened as inevitable.

Comment

One of the saddest things about this virus, is that it exposes a lot of the prejudices inherent in many cultures. Some nationalities are irrationally refusing the vaccine, even with people of their own races publicly encouraging getting the jab,and these are some of the very groups that have been hit hardest by the virus. Truly tragic.

Comment

I was born in 1952 in Glasgow and we lived there until 1964, looking back there was little that could be done medical wise to combat a virus like polio or another nasty, that was common in Glasgow then, was "TB" Tuberculosis. We have come a long way since those days, but looking back it was not uncommon to get hit with something during childhood.

Anyway if you are wondering how the "Iron Lung" worked, this interesting video by Dr Mark Rockoff MD shows how it worked and why. I don't think there is anything worse than not being able to breathe properly, people who over the last year having to be on a ventilator with Covid I am sure would vouch for that.

Last edited by Graham Ritchie; March 25, 2021, 02:44 AM.

Comment

I seem to remember an iron lung being seen in the comedy disaster movie "The Big Bus". A film which, unlike "Airplane", seemed to get its timing just a little out from being really funny.

Unfortunately or fortunately I think the people on ventilators for covid know nothing about it as they are totally sedated during treatment.

Comment

A very interesting and informative video Graham 👍

Comment

You will Steve and better waiting a bit. I had Jab and was asked if I had el Virus before as they were finding those who had were having reaction due to having anti bodies. This may have changed but that is what I was told at the time. All this is very fluid so I wouldn't hold 2 much to previous info as they are still learning. At the end of the day better jabbed than not me thinks, I certainly would not want to go back to the first condition...

Comment

• I'd say it's different for everybody.

For example, my sister (same blood type as me) got both immunizations with nothing more than a sore arm. My brother-in-law (different) took a wicked hit! Both had Covid a few weeks before it swept through this house.

I participate in a zoom meeting once a week: two weeks ago my friend was dark-screened and muted the whole session.

-second shot got him!

(Good for him for joining at all!)

Comment

• i have just had my second Pfizer jab.
                        I was handed an interesting fact sheet. It appears that the COVID-19 disease is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus which was virulent in Asia in April 2003.

Comment

• It seems, reassuringly, that some people who had SARS-CoV-1 had immunity to the new virus too.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	75DA41FD-CE74-471F-B02D-A2F14573312D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	30952 I hope it is OK to put this here please see the photo attached I once read something on the web that suggested the virus was known and released to curb population......

Comment

• Now some are so desperate they say the vaccine is to kill people!!!

Comment

• This has been an incredibly useful and informative thread telling fellow members about what it's like to get the Covid-19 virus, to live through the effects, and about getting the vaccinations. Lee started this topic almost seven months ago and we owe him a great deal of thanks along with everyone here who has contributed. Please....let's not get sidetracked by bringing in these "unsubstantiated tales".

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X