X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melvin England
    replied
    Not quite "My Today" but more like "My Tuesday 28th March."

I was on a break for a few days in a static caravan on the Eastern coast of England. I visited the seaside town of Scarborough and stumbled across this oldie worldie Antiquie shop with these little gems for sale...............

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230328_151645.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	77644

Name:	20230328_151617.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	77642

Name:	20230328_151610.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	77643

Name:	20230328_151657.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	77645

In all my excitement, I totally forgot to check the prices !

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Winter is here The news this afternoon, states that if you intend to travel on the Cook Strait ferry tonight, between the North and South Island, and if you are "prone to sea sickness", that it might be a good idea, to put of travelling on tonight's 8.30pm sailing, sounds like fun
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1679982294562.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.2 KB ID:	77394

Leave a comment:

• Brian Fretwell
    replied
    Most used to be single D cell "battery" powered though, my mum's complete oven was.
    Last edited by Brian Fretwell; March 19, 2023, 08:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Klare
    replied
    It looks like a cooktop to be installed in a kitchen counter.

They all have electric ignition these days: no pilot lights any more.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Fretwell
    replied
    As it shows gas fittings I assume it uses a mains powered ignition system so you don't have to get the matched out to light it. A bit of overkill!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Chip Gelmini
    replied
    a gas stove and it runs on electricity. There must be a reason for this besides making me laugh.....Click image for larger version

Name:	AB806D8C-D8D1-4C54-AECE-E2F5876E84A8.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	76902

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    After watching JAWS 2 during the week, it reminded me I still had it on Super8 Scope. I gave up watching long ago as it was fading away. So yesterday I went down to the Heritage Park with the view to do more painting after framing a bit if wood for the screen, but decided to include it in our display that I have slowly been working on. I added "This Is The Movies" Sign during the week, a left over from my Movieland days.

Now as I was just about to leave a group of primary school kids dressed in the Victorian era educational thing the park runs came along. I thought mmmm just wait a minute and see what the reaction is. Straight away one youngster pointed to JAWS . The parent with them said typical to me that's my son, he has good taste I replied . After a quick chat to the parent I found out she had been a regular to our old Movieland cinema and had missed going to it.

Its a small world anyway it shows the JAWS exhibit works.

Name:	P1330077.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	76832

Name:	P1330078.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	76833

Name:	P1330080.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	76834

Name:	P1330081.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	76835

Name:	P1330083.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	76836

Name:	P1330086.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	76837

Name:	P1330088.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	76838

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    It was my pleasure Melvin, I love researching old cinemas to see what they originally looked like and how they transition over the years. I just find it fascinating, especially when you can find photos of them.
    Here's a couple more that I found.

Name:	0_Former-Billingham-Picture-House-which-up-for-sale.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	76827

Name:	6325542764_eb9955d203_b.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	76828

Leave a comment:

• Melvin England
    replied
    Steve - Thank you sooooo much for the added information about this cinema. I am very touched that you have taken the time to do the research and post here.
    I have just shown this to my wife who got quite excited about it. I may have mentioned previously, she used to visit this cinema in the early 1960's with her parents and has a lot of good memories of it in its heyday.
    It is sad what they have done to these beautiful buildings............. but at least it is still standing !

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    Hi Melvin,
    I found out a little more information about the Picture House cinema, the shop units below were not connected to the cinema. They were built as individual units because of the gradient of the land, just as a fill in under the stalls.
    From what I can understand the stalls area got converted into a car showroom, with the balcony extended over the entire auditorium for the dance school above.
    The entrance foyer got originally converted into a pub which is now the pizza restaurant.

Located in Billingham-on-Tees, Cleveland on the corner of South View and Mill Lane. The Picture House was opened in December 1928. It had a 28 feet wide proscenium and by 1930 was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It was equipped with CinemaScope in 1955 and the proscenium was widened to 35 feet.

Name:	large (2).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	76801

Leave a comment:

• Chip Gelmini
    replied
    I found this quite interesting

Click image for larger version  Name:	A823F032-B423-412E-B0DC-54723A336F67.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.3 KB ID:	76788

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
    -dancing on an incline builds leg muscles!

(They tried building a roller-skating rink, but everybody kept piling up at the bottom of the hill!)
    Here is a photo of a former dancing school graduate:

Name:	dancing on the ceiling.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	76085

Leave a comment:

• Steve Klare
    replied
    -dancing on an incline builds leg muscles!

(They tried building a roller-skating rink, but everybody kept piling up at the bottom of the hill!)

Leave a comment:

• Melvin England
    replied
    Yesterday, my wife and I travelled 100 miles north to visit her uncle who has just gone into a retirement home in Billingham in Teeside.

This area is my wife's home territory and at the top of the street where the home is located, I saw this old cinema and she casually remarked how often she would go and see movies there all those years ago. Therefore, photograph needed !

. Click image for larger version

Name:	20230306_150220.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	76042

As you can see, the left hand side has been converted into 6 businesses, the ground floor from the entrance is a pizza house. What is probably not as obvious is that the first floor is now a dancing school. What puzzles me is........ If the original circle is still intact, what on earth is a dancing school doing on a sloping floor ??!! The other question as a film person...... I wonder if there is still any film equipment left behind up in the gods ?

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Well the poor old North Island is taking a hammering over the last couple of days with a Cyclone, but down here in the South Island we have been only getting the edge of it, but tonight while watching a movie I thought things were moving around a wee bit, nothing to be concerned about, must be my imagination. Well I just checked and the North Island did get a little bit of a shake a 6.3 and what I had felt, was the shock wave travelling South, so my photo for the day must go to the North Island and hope things improve for them, in saying that its nothing compared to what has happened in Turkey-Syria in recent days.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1676448719695.jpg Views:	0 Size:	332.6 KB ID:	74810

Leave a comment:

Working...
X