Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Klare
    replied
    Cape May has among the best sunsets in the World, and maybe the best pancakes!

Leave a comment:

• Douglas Meltzer
    replied
    Last week, a colorful sunset in Cape May, New Jersey, just 15 minutes away from Wildwood, the home of CineSea.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sunset bill's - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.5 KB ID:	85790

Yesterday, a bit of good luck in capturing a rainbow relaxing in a fountain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rainbow 745 - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.7 KB ID:	85791

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    I forgot to mention that last night junior asked me, that during the next school holidays when he comes to stay, can we watch ET ?, now that surprised me as I thought it might seem a bit dated with young people these days. I said are you sure?, yes, OK ,but its not going to be on blu-ray, but on film as its still stored on two larger reels. So if he still wants to watch it, I will let him thread it up, under my watch will eye and let him run it. That in turn reminded me of its last screening .

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Yesterday I thought I better show Steven and Connor what I have been getting up to at Ferrymead. The Westar is all done, I just need to plug it into an amp did more painting the other week and added another movie poster "The Golden Compass" another left over from my Movieland days. Later this week I should finish up with the wooden frame at back of the projector, then pull the tarpaulin its "black on the inside, silver on the outside" down hooking it onto the sides etc to meet it. Both Super 8 and Std 8 plus 16mm will be added, but I need to spend time on those donated projectors first, to make sure they are up to it. While we were there yesterday, Steven suggested we call into the aviation side of things as he remembers seeing an old Mt Cook ground power unit, so we did, got talking to a person there as you do, gave me his card for a proper look around after telling him I used to work for Mt Cook and the aero club many moons ago, so that should be interesting, funny seeing things in a museum that I once used to work on
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1340226.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	85688

Name:	P1340224.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	85689

Name:	P1340222.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	85690

Name:	P1340219.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	85691

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Spent the day at Springston end of session prize giving plus Connor along with every one else getting there U13 team photos, quite a long day but its worth it. All but one can return next year, so that's nice most will be back. I thanked his coach afterwards for everything he had done, he in turn thanked us for turning up and supporting them every Saturday. The main thing is that everyone enjoys themselves its not always about winning, but "working together" as a team can make it happen.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1340214.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.3 KB ID:	85572
    Last edited by Graham Ritchie; August 18, 2023, 11:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Joerg Polzfusz
    replied
    A day at the beach with the perfect book (from 1981).

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bickford
    replied
    Originally posted by Joerg Polzfusz View Post
    B&W reversal is perfectly fine for breakfast
    Or lunch. Maybe dinner. 😂

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    I took this photo a couple of weeks ago across the road at the park, no games played on that field on that day, Steven sent me this photo of Connor with the ball from his phone just the other day taken during this winter session. Now if you wonder how quickly you can bring some one down "to hit the dirt that is" well this is the way to do it. It does not matter if you are an adult or not, a tackle like this, around the legs and, possibly an extra nudge from a team mate can or should I say will seal your fate.

Temp today is 3-6 degrees Centigrade with sleet, not complaining though, much better than a 30-40 degree heatwave that you folk are going through.

Name:	P1340023.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	85143

Name:	IMG-20230615-WA0003.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	85144

Leave a comment:

• Joerg Polzfusz
    replied
    B&W reversal is perfectly fine for breakfast

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bickford
    replied
    Just trying to figure out what to make for lunch. Nothing to see here. 😁

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	85136

Leave a comment:

• Alan Paterson
    replied
    A few pics from Bonny Scotland on a filmic theme. This is Culross, which is regularly used as a shooting location for the Outlander TV series. It was also used in the Michael Caine version of 'Kidnapped' back in the 70's and the Kenneth More version of 'The 39 Steps'.

Leave a comment:

• Joerg Polzfusz
    replied
    There was something called „8mm fullcoat“ and „S8 fullcoat“ (8mm wide audiotape with regular8/super8 perforations). It was mainly used for editing the sound in sync on flatbed editors. The same existed at least for 16mm and 35mm, too. For 16mm, there had even been special projectors that had the reels with the film on one side and the reels with the fullcoat 16mm audiotape on the other.
    But when it’s „standard width“ audiotape without any holes, then it’s either sync-sound (with beeps) or it’s completely unrelated to the films or „non-synced sound“.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Klare
    replied
    I compared the width of the reel, and it definitely lines up with an 8mm reel. What's interesting is 1/4" tape is only 6.35mm wide, so there is more slop from side to side when it's audio tape on the reel as opposed to 8mm film.

This reel has "side 1" and "side 2" on it, so it was at least intended for audio recording.

Name:	IMG_5140[1].jpg
Views:	193
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	85017

It's quite comfortable on an 8mm spindle...just don't try to thread it!

This isn't the only place I've seen where a motion picture standard is borrowed. There is a process in electronic circuit manufacturing called Surface Mount Technology where components are made without wire leads are placed on a printed circuit board with solder suspended in a paste between the part's contacts and their place on the PCB. The board is then run through an infrared oven, the solder paste melts and the board is ready for testing.

These are tiny, tiny components, placed very densely on the board, and they can be placed double-sided too since there are no wires poking through.

Component placement on the board is robotic, and the parts are supplied to the machine on reels: Super-8, 16mm and sometimes 35mm for the big stuff.

When I worked in electronic manufacturing, there were always piles of empty reels awaiting disposal, but I never took any: they were spectacular cheapies! I've never been that hard up for reels.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Fretwell
    replied
    I'm sure 1/4 in recording tape went into popular use in the early 1950's here in the UK. I have a feeling it started in Germany (agfa) in th latter stages of WWII possibly for military/radio use.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Klare
    replied
    Hi Joerg,

I don't think the tape is blank, there is handwriting on the box but I can't read it. (-fair enough: there are days I can't read my own, either! Some people were just born to write with a keyboard!).

The spindle-hole is much smaller than Super-8's, and fits just fine on my film editor with the Super-8 collar removed, so I'd say it's Regular-8 compatible.

I don't know the histories of the two formats well enough: is reel to reel audiotape operating to Regular-8 standards or is Regular-8 operating to audiotape standards?

I think Regular-8 came in the 1930s and tape recording in general came later.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X