Your Today in Pictures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dominique De Bast View Post

Mussels are a speciality of Belgium and North France. I don't know how popular is is in other countries.
    We definitely eat mussels here in the USA. They are readily available in any supermarket all year, at least where I live. Clams might be more popular, but that likely varies by region.

Also, to avoid going off-topic in a “pictures” thread, this is my Elmo ST100 in its original box (to keep the dust off). I may take it out and play a film or two this evening. Perhaps a Three Stooges short. We shall see…

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1684.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.1 KB ID:	86238

Comment

• I simply cannot resist responding to this Dom. Just along the coast from here, the town of Whitstable is renowned for its Oysters. However, we Brits also eat mussels, whelks, winkles, prawns, shrimps, crabs, crayfish, lobsters, eels which are often Jellied. All caught from various parts of the U K coasts. In the days of my youth, it was quite a tradition to have shellfish for tea on Fridays. However, lobsters were too expensive for many people. When I was a boy, living in Woolwich, London, every Friday you could buy the shelfish from the fishmongers van in your street. I also remember trays of live eels in a fishmongers shop in Woolwich. (Hereford Square). If only my more recent memories were as good as my early ones! 😊

Comment

• I also remember trays of live eels in Brixton - behind the Pie and Mash shop.

Comment

• Burroughs in Coldharbour Lane Brixton. All Eel and Pie shops used to display live eels; not any more. The closest E&P to this shop now is Manze's in Peckham or maybe Arment's in Walworth. Still the same food as ever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	249
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	86598

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_20151.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	87299​Far away from the mussels, in the Siwa Oasis (where I was also last year), the salt lake.

Name:	thumb_20149.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	87298

Name:	thumb_20152.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	87300
            I actually selected 5 pictures but only 3 are displayed.

Looks like the third picture was taken with a drone and shows something big, but it's actually a small quantity of water (it is a "maquette" effect).​​

Comment

• With the new uploading system, I see my pictures twice, could only pu three of them and could not choose the size. Sorry for that mess.
              Complete mystery : the "Upload Attachments" button came back, together with the sizes option and the possibility to upload 5 pictures. So I don't know if there is a new system or if there was a bug or if I start to be cursed by an Egyptian god...

Name:	20230918_095516.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	87303

Name:	20230918_104407.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	87304

Name:	20230918_104423.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	87305 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230918_105708.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	87306 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230918_111649.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	87307

Comment

• Despite your uploading issues, your photos are stellar! Loved seeing your my handsome face in one of them. Looks like you're having a wonderful time. Enjoy!

Comment

• Thanks, Janice!

Comment

• Dominique,

I'm glad we're back to normal. I'll check to see what happened.

Note: A software update had changed the uploading preferences, which were later restored.

Comment

• The Skyline Drive-In, located riverside in Brooklyn, NY. Two screens are for new releases, one is for older films. I went for a screening of The Mummy (1999), a fun film to see here, even if I do have a Super 8mm print of the feature.

Name:	drivein74 - 1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	87648

Name:	drivein74 - 1 (1).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	87649

Comment

• "IT IS BALLOON!!!!" ("F" Troop...)
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5228[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	87652

It's natural to ask what this astounding assembly is (...other than a Chevy Pickup, of course!).

-but that large object in the truck bed is a hot-air balloon. (This is what they look like on their days off!)

The envelope itself is very carefully stuffed into a large zipper-bag which is stowed between the basket and the truck's tailgate. (To think I gripe having to fold down a tent!)

(The location was Lake George, New York last weekend.)

I like that Drive-In, Doug: it's the first anywhere on Long Island since the 1980s!
                        Last edited by Steve Klare; September 26, 2023, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• This reminded me of a few phots Yvonne took on a balloon ride a few years ago one calm Sunday morning, she really enjoyed it.

Name:	pict41 079.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	87715

Name:	pict41 084.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	87716

Name:	pict41 154.jpg
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	87717

Name:	pict41 036.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	87718

Name:	pict41 076.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	87719

Name:	pict41 038.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	87720

Name:	pict41 048.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	87721

Name:	pict41 118.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	87722

Name:	pict41 067.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	87723

Name:	pict41 116.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	87724

Comment

• Graham,

Very nice! Hot air ballooning is something I haven't done...yet.

Comment

• Baden Württemberg, June 2012
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0392.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.9 KB ID:	87745

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0394.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	87743

My cousin and his wife had moved into their brand-new house and we landed there just in time to go to their first barbecue. This awesome sight flew not very high over the neighborhood and my son and I ran up the street to see it land in a field.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0395.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	87744

("Balloon growing out of the kid's head" shot is intentional! -at least THIS time!)

Comment

• I have been on my travels again this week.

A few days ago I was in Snodland (yes.... that is really what it is called), a village/small town about 30 miles south east of London, when I came across this old cinema which is still standing and now serving as an excellent antique shop....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230926_123959.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	87838

The auditorium..... with no sign of a screen....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230926_121222.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	87835

But I DID track down the original projector!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230926_121430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.3 KB ID:	87837

......... or maybe not.....

( Bell & Howell before you ask....)

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X