No announcement yet.

Your Today in Pictures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve, remember this one from Harry Chapin? a reminder to us all.

Comment

• I actually have few regrets about my time with my son. Where that gets interesting is it's mostly because of activities that aren't usually considered super-important. For example our relationship isn't super-close because of my education or my job (-those pay the bills!): it's basically because of everything that happens after 5PM: hobbies and recreation.

Activities like these can be very life-enhancing as long as they aren't practiced selfishly! (Besides, I think they help me act and think a little younger!)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	At Sheepscot July 08.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	102152

Name:	Carmans River June 2010.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	102149

Name:	Valpo Bike Trip.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	102151

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3684.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	102150

Comment

• Steve what do think of this idea?

Comment

• I'm for anything that keeps old railroad track useful.

There is something similar in Cape May, down by Wildwood:

There use to be a branch line of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines that went down to Cape May, which gradually died out as the automotive age took over. A group tried to keep it going as a museum/excursion operation until one night during the last recession, some thieves scrapped about a mile of their track (-and got busted and imprisoned).

-so they found themselves with this couple of miles of isolated track. Maybe they will restore it some day, but for now, this is what it's going to be.

I found out something surprising about this branch from an interesting source a couple of years ago. I bought a Super-8 Blackhawk film about the Budd Rail Diesel Car and it turns out these once ran to Cape May. It showed them stopping at a station called "Wildwood Junction" to ride down the branch to Wildwood Island. It turns out back prior to 1970s, there were tracks all over Wildwood.

-so If I went to CineSea back in the 1950s, I could have taken the train! Here and there I certainly would, but CineSea didn't exist in the 1950s (-and neither did I!).

Comment

• Steve,

I did that Rail Biking jaunt in Cape May a few years ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CMRR2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	324.3 KB ID:	102274

Click image for larger version  Name:	CMRR1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.0 KB ID:	102273

Too bad this was the end of the line. I wish it kept going for another few miles!

Comment

• I'll have to get the family to do that someday. (-maybe bring a movie camera!)

Here's your rare Wildwood Railroad Trivia: The tracks went down New Jersey Avenue, a couple of blocks west of where the Shalimar and the Ocean Holiday are. The tracks turned around at a place called "Two Mile Landing" and if you look at Google Satellite View in the marshes near that restaurant we like, you can see the remnants of the loop, still in place. ("Two Mile Landing" is a railroad name, not a fishing one!)

Comment

• I just returned from a lovely wedding at Niagara Falls, which is at the border of Ontario and New York State. The falls are breathtaking.
                This is a view from the Canadian side.

This is from the Maid of the Mist boat ride that gets you close and gets you wet!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Niagara Falls is awesome, but as a canoeist it's also just a little bit terrifying!

-it's a lot of water moving very, very fast and falling very, very far!

Comment

•  

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5983[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	102610

So, Summer is almost here!

I went to a party up on the North Shore yesterday: end of the year for my German class. What's strange is being that we've been meeting on Zoom for a couple of years now, it's rare we ever meet in person!

We had dinner around a picnic table on a deck overlooking the Long Island Sound and watched the sunset. That's Connecticut over on the horizon, but we really couldn't see them over there until the sun set and they turned their lights on.

The Sound was empty and flat, like a big lake. A couple of us that have canoes and kayaks thought we might go back again some other night like this!

Comment

• Came across a pallet this week sitting in the grass next to my favorite record store. I have seen it before dumped nearby. I had a look at it that it was non treated in good condition, so just managed to get it into my wee starlet and took it down to Ferrymead. I had been thinking for a while about raising the height of the projector thinking I might be able at some later date to get my hands on a few more cinema seats, to replace the present couch. The extra height mean and with a bit of luck I will be able to project over folks heads.

Now the problem is lifting the projector straight up 7 inches these things are not exactly light. Being on my own I had to put my thinking cap on, which I did. The end result the projector is now sitting nicely and secure on that pallet. It took me a couple of hours to get it there without any huffing and puffing which I managed to avoid.

Name:	P1380462.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	102702

Name:	P1380460.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	102703

Name:	P1380463.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	102704 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1380463.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	102705
                        New screen

Name:	P1380461.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	102706 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                          Now the problem is lifting the projector straight up 7 inches these things are not exactly light. Being on my own I had to put my thinking cap on, which I did. The end result the projector is now sitting nicely and secure on that pallet. It took me a couple of hours to get it there without any huffing and puffing which I managed to avoid.
                          Graham, you have to give us more details on the miracle of lifting that beast 7 inches off the floor!

Comment

• The Force is strong with This One!

(Especially in the vertical axis!)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	do or do not2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	102719

Comment

• My son asked me the same question? I told him I have special powers. The truth is one long crow bar lots of scrap wood and a couple of car screw jacks After I lifted it the next thing I had to figure out was to how to slide the pallet under it with those block supports there. The answer is.. very and I do mean... "very" carefully a bit at a time. with the projector running and with the lamp only going I was pleased that I only needed to move it side ways a little bit to get the light extending into the black masking for a 1:85:1 image, top and bottom adjusting the projector angle itself. I will run some film soon but it does look like I will get that image into the black masking about an inch all round to give it a sharp looking picture.

The response from visitors to the park on seeing the 35mm going has been very positive, so it makes it worth the effort. One American visitor looked carefully at the old screen, I new what he was thinking as we talked, so as a result a better second hand screen pull down was fitted. I do like it when folk take an interest, and any ideas to improve things are certainly welcome, but it does come down to money. I do tell folk that I am with the photographic crowd downstairs, who get that glazed look when I talk about film projectors, as they are mostly into still, and as such have been banished upstairs out the road, that usually gets a smile. The biggest expense has been timber, so I do have to be careful when spending other peoples money, got to keep the costs down. However just last week they did say, that if they ever find another building to move to, a cinema with a 35mm is a must have, I thought that was nice, they came up with that idea without any prompting from me.

Its not just about 35mm, but an important part is to include all gauges of motion picture film eg Super8 and the likes so projecting other gauges as well is really important.

Comment

Working...
                                X