Your Today in Pictures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln,

Very impressive! If you don't mind the comparison, this reminds me of Jim Steranko's great work on Tower of Shadows.

Comment

• It was a great mail day this morning for super 8

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240809_135509024.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	104261 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240809_133553827.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	104262

Comment

• I walked by the location of the Central Park Conservancy Film Festival, running from 8/12 - 8/16. This year the festival is featuring National Geographic documentary films. Admission is free. Bring your own blanket!

Click image for larger version  Name:	CPC Film Festival - 1 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.8 KB ID:	104438

Click image for larger version  Name:	CPC Film Festival - 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.5 KB ID:	104437

Click image for larger version  Name:	CPC Film Festival - 1 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.2 KB ID:	104439

Comment

• We had a rough week here on Long Island. Six days ago the remnants of a hurricane blew through and dumped about a season's worth of rain in less than a day. One of the results is what was our second biggest freshwater lake is now simply...gone!

A week ago today, it would have looked a lot like this:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Stump Pond Full.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.0 KB ID:	104761

This afternoon? Like this: (-same spot: I had to check it out today.)
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6080[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.6 KB ID:	104762

The storm water undermined a mill dam that was built when George Washington was still alive and when it collapsed, it poured a 100 acre lake up the Nissequogue River into the Long Island Sound in only a few hours. Nobody was hurt, but a number of riverside houses were damaged, and they were afraid the flood waters would take down a bridge carrying two important local highways and a second one carrying a branch of the Long Island Railroad. (It must have been quite a sight and sound!)
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6081[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	263.4 KB ID:	104763

This was the dam until this week. The lake was almost as deep as the break on the other side. One of my favorite hiking trails went all the way around the lake and crossed the dam here. A second trail was also merged with it through here that went 34 miles from the North to the South Shore. Obviously for the duration they are both closed.

I canoe in the lake...guess that's closed too!

I'm in the mood to make a film: I had the idea maybe two weeks ago of my son and I hiking the Stump Pond Trail after the leaves change with a movie camera and a couple of rolls of 100D and saving our experience for posterity. (We'll save that idea for next year!)
          ​
          This is called Blydenburgh Lake and often Stump Pond. The second name comes because the Blydenburghs had harvested the trees on the property and left the stumps behind when they closed the dam. It's unbelievable to me that they are still there after over 200 years immersed in a lake, and I never imagined I would see them in any case! A park employee warned us to stay off the lake floor: a couple of people have gone up to their knees in 226 year old mud and needed rescue this week! (Yuck!)

They are already talking about rebuilding the dam (-and stronger: put some concrete under it this time!) within about a year, but for now this is what it is.

I'd say the lesson here is that glass of water on your table is certainly both beneficial and benign, but in enough quantity with enough speed, water is an impressive force!
          Last edited by Steve Klare; August 24, 2024, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• This popped up today giving a interesting perspective on NZ land area compared to Europe

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	104776

Comment

• That's impressive Graham! (-I had no idea.)

We really have no idea of the relative sizes of countries just from seeing them on a globe. Back in the 1970s one of my uncles came over from Germany and was visiting us in in New York. He told my Dad if he had time he was going to "rent a car and drive to Los Angeles." My Dad had to tell him that's a good 4 days behind the wheel.

-but why shouldn't he think that? I drove from Berlin to Frankfurt in about 6 blazing hours a couple of decades later!

It's different now, too. One of my cousins came over last summer and he and his wife drove out to Minnesota after they visited here. -still a multi-day drive, but with modern mapping technology they knew what they were in for and overnighted near Niagara Falls.

Comment

• Here is the US (not including Alaska, Hawaii) overlaid over Europe:

Name:	image.png
Views:	77
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	104781​

You can do comparisons of actual sizes at: https://s3.amazonaws.com/thetruesize...MTgwMDAwMDA)Mw

Globes really distort world maps.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6087[1].jpg
Views:	83
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	104785

-until my new audio mixer shows up anywhere from Tuesday to Thursday it looks like I am out of show-business!

(To everything there is a season...)

Comment

• Thanks Ed I bookmark that link and just back from using it. When I arrived in NZ I thought it was a small island at the bottom of the world until I tried to drive around the South Island in a couple of days. I still remember the look I got, when I said I was going to drive around it during the holidays, well it was a lot more than I thought and never got around it, back then on the West Coast the drive seemed to go on forever, many parts of the West Coast main road were not sealed and you had to cross fords. You could drive for hours and never meet anyone, today its different the roads are all sealed but my perspective of distance was way out, no wonder I got that look

Comment

• Many of the road bridges here in the South Island are single lane so you need to check that sign before you get there, as often you have to give way, photos were taken last summer

Name:	P1170779.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	104788

Name:	P1170774.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	104789

Name:	P1170781.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	104790

Comment

• The Mercator projection (/mÉ™rˈkeɪtÉ™r/) is a conformal cylindrical map projection presented by Flemish geographer and cartographer Gerardus Mercator in 1569. It became the standard map projection for navigation due to its ability to represent north as "up" and south as "down" everywhere while preserving local directions and shapes. However, as a result, the Mercator projection inflates the size of objects the further they are from the equator. In a Mercator projection, landmasses such as Greenland and Antarctica appear far larger than they actually are relative to landmasses near the equator. Despite these drawbacks, the Mercator projection is well-suited to marine navigation and internet web maps and continues to be widely used today.​
                        Source: Wikipedia

So Graham, your drive around "the island" would be like driving from Canada to Mexico and back...

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	104793​

Comment

• I've been to Cape May at the southern tip of New Jersey many times, however I never came across Fisherman's Memorial Park before. The statue is in tribute to the many fishermen who have been lost at sea.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6476.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.6 KB ID:	104832

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6478.jpg Views:	0 Size:	312.5 KB ID:	104834

Comment

• Problem Solved!
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6095[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.5 KB ID:	104940

Houston: We are showing all systems nominal!

-The show WILL go on!

I may actually try to fix the old mixer, as opposed to just throwing it out. (What have I got to lose?!)

This new one seems to have one more channel, usable as either USB input or analog. I'm not 100% sure what I'd DO with that USB, but in my most analog-based opinion it really wants me to add in another film projector!

Comment

• Got some small tables from the Eco Shed a few weeks ago with the idea of using them at Ferrymead They were selling them for $20 each and were solid, no idea what they had been used for in the past but were build like tanks. At first $20 dollars mmmm I thought was to expensive, but the person there when I talked to about using them at Ferrymead said $50 for all four if I take them today, so I did. I have to careful as its not my money I am spending, but the photographic guys I am with were OK with paying for it.

So last weekend I fitted them in, I will be glad to get back to running just film and not spending so much time with drill/saw/wiring in hand

Name:	P1390225.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	105411

Name:	P1390223.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	105412

Name:	P1390224.jpg
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	105413

Name:	P1390220.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	105414

Name:	P1390218.jpg
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	105415
                              Picked this nice two seater up from the Eco Shed for $30 as well the folk there have been very helpful.

Name:	P1390216.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	105416

Comment

• Here is a interesting view of NZ, just east of the The North Island

Comment

Working...
                                X