No announcement yet.

Your Today in Pictures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast Steve we keen campers have to stick together.

Didn't get our Halloween camping this year either at Bridlington. Boooo. In recent years we did weaken to take a small fan heater due to usual heavy frost.
    Next year

Comment

• Ah!

-but wintertime off just keeps it from wearing thin!

All the years I was growing up, we were in a camping group and became very close friends with the other families. (-a real friend is someone that will help you fix a flat tire or lend you that frying pan you left home!) We found we missed the others a lot this time of year. We made it a thing of gathering the club for a winter meeting to plan out next year's events, and some years this took the form of renting a big house somewhere nice for a weekend. We'd go hiking or cross country skiing, bring the sleds if it was cold and the bikes if it wasn't quite so cold (-never quite got together the nerve to bring a canoe!).

My wife and I ran the last years of these. Under Captains Prerogative I often ran a film show Saturday night. About 15 years ago I shot a Plus-X (50ASA) film of the weekend and showed it the following year. As a transition between the days I shot some early evening 35mm stills and then shot them onto film like I do titles.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Eveniing_View.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.2 KB ID:	51235

Click image for larger version  Name:	Evening_Shore.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.4 KB ID:	51236

Click image for larger version  Name:	Evening_Rock.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.5 KB ID:	51237

Click image for larger version  Name:	Asbury_Evening.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.9 KB ID:	51238

-now the thing is that this camping group was founded when I was five years old, so it was really a creature of my parents' generation, and among all the parents that were active, there is only a small scattering of widows still left, long retired from tent poles, bug spray and campfires. My childhood friends from the group don't camp these days and are pretty scattered geographically.

So, we don't have "camping friends" these days, but we do have friends that camp that we know from other things. We get them together maybe two weekends a year. Nah! -it's not like "the old days" (...am I really old enough to have...those?....yes!), but it' a lot better than nothing!

-so here's a toast to the warm days of 2022! (coming...someday!)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3228.jpg Views:	0 Size:	246.1 KB ID:	51239

June, 2021

-now
      Last edited by Steve Klare; January 08, 2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Taken out front about 20 minutes ago temp 23C/73F sunny. Cleaned the bike up yesterday for a blast through the nearby plantation soon. Added a we video I took back in April 2019.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220541.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	51297

Name:	P1220545.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	51298
        Across the road there are millions of dandelions, nature really is a amazing thing to watch. Every night they close up, but come morning when the sun comes out, they not only open up, but follow the sun across the sky .

Name:	P1220546 - Copy.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	51299

Comment

• Hans Christian Andersen looks like he's telling the tale of The Snow Queen to a few frosty friends.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5970.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	274.5 KB ID:	51308

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5971.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	270.6 KB ID:	51306

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5996.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	170.7 KB ID:	51305

Comment

• Family trip to Northumberland, a great time was had by all
            Attached Files

Comment

• Bought some boxes and made a side label for some of my films Click image for larger version

Name:	80345E92-E080-4F34-8790-551CAE3F03EB.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	51461

Comment

• Nicely done, Lincoln!
                -we don't often think about the ratings of our films!

Personally, I have an automatic labeling system1 for my films: I leave 'em on my wife's desk and they come back labeled within a day or two!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Reelz_IMG_3796.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	51465

Notes:

1) Over the years, this system has proven to be quite costly! If it comes down to just getting your films labeled, it's probably better to stay single and simply buy your own label maker! (She won't let me use hers: probably scared of the labels I'd make! )

Comment

• We had a wee bit of snow this time last week - but situated just across from the Cowal peninsular, it rarely settles 🙄....

Comment

• Comment

• Amazing photo of Tonga volcano eruption, also captured on satellite.

Name:	20220114_Hunga eruption TGS-171406 955x1450px.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	51816

Comment

• Tsunami advisory issued for U.S. West Coast after undersea volcanic eruption

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tion-rcna12350

This is pretty routine here. They are usually ignored (unless you live on the coast!). The alert started a 8:30am PST and I believe ended around 11am.

Comment

• Update on Tsunami advisory

Via Twitter, Harold Tobin, director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, noted that 3-foot tsunami waves can cause considerable damage and are not like traditional waves.
                          A small tsunami of 1-3 feet may not sound like much, but they are not like normal surf. Check out this video of a “small” tsunami from Brookings, OR from the 2011 Japan tsunami.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_Screen.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	52494

At the Curb on Garbage Day

Something less than 5 years ago it was State of the Art. Who knows, maybe it still is. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. If it doesn't work, the last TV repair place here closed up about 10 years ago and besides, it was not only not designed to last, it was never meant to be repaired when it did fail. Here's hoping that modern personal finance being what it is that if they bought it on credit, somewhere along the line they've paid it off.

It's part of what I like about these:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	The Show Must Go On.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	52495

-they stay around long enough you can feel some kind of attachment to them!
                            (-not just another dead remote in the junk drawer!)
                            Last edited by Steve Klare; January 25, 2022, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Not that I don't like the convenience of modern technology (because I do!), but I sometimes get questioning eyes because I have a lot of love/interest in older technologies and general everyday use items. While some of it might be an aesthetic eye, more often than not a lot of stuff is just built to last and can be be fixed.

Comment

• Finished making another set of box art For my ET film! Click image for larger version

Name:	B92549AE-C3FD-4750-8DDA-A74A0BED8606.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	52514

Comment

Working...
                                X