X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brilliant Steve... hope they like fish

Comment

• I bet it put up quite a fight!

The typical catch out of this port is fluke or flounder: weird looking fish that in their youth have one eye travel around their head so that as adults they have two eyes one one side and none on the other so they can lay on the bottom and stare up at the World.

I went for flounder with my Dad many times when I was growing up: you stand there with this pole maybe 4 feet long and bounce your hooks off the bottom. If you're lucky you can haul one of these deformed little fish up flapping for all they are worth and have it for dinner.

-good eatin' too, but nothing to get up at 4:30 for!

Not that this can't be exciting! Years (...well, decades) ago, Dad went out on a party boat for fluke. -maybe 50 guys, maybe 250 beers. All of a sudden there was an uproar back towards the stern: somebody caught a decent sized sand shark and hauled it up over the rail. Now this terrified mass of muscle and teeth is chasing a boatload of weekend fishermen around the deck! The whole boat is running around like some high speed conga-line!

-finally one of the mates pinned it down to the deck, cut the line and heaved it over the side.

Buy a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
      Teach a man to fish, you just may give him some stories to tell!
      Last edited by Steve Klare; June 19, 2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• A few lenses I have just finished to service for a client

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8750.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	36616

Comment

• Simon,

Please tell us about these.

(-the one on the left, of course!)

Comment

• Question for Graham Richie, how are you connecting 35mm digital DIRECTLY to your consumer Yamaha A/V receiver? I don’t know about DTS, but back in the 1990’s it was widely discussed that Dolby slightly changed the AC3 codec specifically so you could not do this. They didn’t want theatre owners to be able to buy inexpensive consumer processors instead of the vey expensive theatre processors.

Comment

• More pictures please

A visit to our potato patch. This variety has a beautiful flower full of colour.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20210620_190138.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	36671

Comment

• Hi Mitchell

When the cinema closed I was fortunate to buy a DA20 Processor and the Ultra Stereo etc, so basically it was just a transfer from the cinema to my we one. Only difference is instead of each channel output from the Ultra Stereo to individual amps they went to the multi channel inputs on the Yamaha.

I have just taken a few photos showing the back of the DA20 and the Ultra Stereo.

Here goes
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200012.JPG Views:	0 Size:	108.6 KB ID:	36683
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200013.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.9 KB ID:	36684
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200015.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.5 KB ID:	36685
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200017.JPG Views:	0 Size:	175.8 KB ID:	36686
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200018.JPG Views:	0 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	36687
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200020.JPG Views:	0 Size:	169.1 KB ID:	36688
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200026.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.0 KB ID:	36689
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200032.JPG Views:	0 Size:	193.6 KB ID:	36690
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200022.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	36691
                Click image for larger version  Name:	pict 57 1507.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.3 KB ID:	36692
                Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120507.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	36693

Comment

• Although the Ernemann 2 at the start does not show the Digital reader actually going, this little extract of film was done later with the DA20 Processor etc doing its thing, with the end result of all this Mitchell being this

Comment

• BIG Developments!

Now this may just look like some family going on a camping trip (likely because that’s exactly what it is!), but there’s more to it than just that. In the Fall of 2019, I was in this exact place on the GOF talking about what a great camping season we were looking forward to “next year” and then…you know.

Our county parks were (kind-of) open to camping last year, but there were massive restrictions. For example, only family members were allowed on their campsite, which kind of stinks for us since we like best to camp with other families. Early on, campers were required to be self-contained, which we are not, and straying from your campsite was discouraged. We decided this wasn’t any better than being stuck at the house, so we skipped a year.

2021 is here and the restrictions are gone!

Two weeks ago, we went to one of our favorite parks. We arrived equipped for camping, biking and boating.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3223_PL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.9 KB ID:	36864

That afternoon we enjoyed maybe two hours gliding down the river inside the park, and got back to camp in time for dinner, which we enjoyed like we’d earned it.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3225.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.5 KB ID:	36865

We were three families, plus some other friends who slept in their houses that night (We’re still working on them…).
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3228.jpg Views:	0 Size:	246.1 KB ID:	36866

The bonus was I finally got to try out my portable fire-pit. I got it for Christmas 2019, and then…you know. The campfire is a big part of the experience, just like it has been for thousands of years. (-kind of a shame none of us plays the guitar!)
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3229.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.3 KB ID:	36867

Everyone had a great time, and we will do it again at least once more this season. Most of all it was a taste of normalcy and we sure need those!
                    Last edited by Steve Klare; June 24, 2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• I was going through some 16mm films today, sorting stuff out. One such film I must have missed from 2011, had some liquefaction on it. Drat I thought as it was a very good print. Even though it had been in a steel container liquefaction from 2011 has still got in.

I managed to give the print a good clean with some Optical film cleaner, that took a few goes, the film now seems fine. Looking for a new reel and box to put the film on I found one, that after inspection had a badly faded print so that one was heading to the junk pile.

Anyway that was my bit of film work for today, back to continue splicing Super 8 home movies later this week, and yes with cement

PS. Those 8/16mm hand winders have been invaluable for the last 30-40 years, could not do any of this without them

Me....
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	donald-film.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.5 KB ID:	37477
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200183.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	37478
                      Fitted a new leader
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200186.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	37479
                      New reel
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1200187.JPG Views:	0 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	37480
                      Managed to save the label, some very interesting stuff on 16mm, glad I saved this film.

Comment

• Hi Graham,

Yes, 16mm has some great films! I tend towards the more educational films that aren't often seen on Super-8.

Maybe it's bringing me back to the days when my teachers put the chalk aside and we got to relax and enjoy a film! I'll always remember it in high school biology: my seat was in the back row, all the way to the right. On those days, the teacher planted the projector right next to me!

(-plus the girl one row over was kind of cute!)

Comment

• That also reminded me Steve of this old School projector I mentioned been given to me in the Jurassic Park topic the other day by the school principal back in the 1990s.

Anyway after getting it down from the garage rafters today, first time since being given it, the old projector really looks a bit sad. I am not game to plug it in just yet to see if it still goes. I better give it a clean first, it will be interesting, as its most likely not been used for a very long time.

One sad and well used school projector

PS...If I haven't posted anything in the next few day the chances are I have blown myself up..

Name:	P1200250.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	37730

Name:	P1200253.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	37731

Comment

• I'm guessing there are tubes in there: nothing like that smell of dust being heated searing hot by a tube warming up! (-even forgetting the lamp.)

I looked into this: apparently the amps in these machines are prized by people who play electric guitars.

In your position I've had my first plug-in out on the patio.

(May save you setting off the smoke alarm and evacuating the house!)

Comment

• That's interesting about the valve amps

Good advice Steve, I will give things a clean first, most likely a light dust of with the air compressor. Things like that are better tested outside the house, today I didn't have time with the projector, but it will be interesting to see how good Bell and Howell built there projectors. If it comes to life without some kind of major disaster, then I will give Bell and Howell a ten out ten.

Comment

• Nice patina on that Bell & Howell.

A bit of renovation needed to English comedy character star of stage and screen FRANK RANDLE. Started visiting in 1972 with my Dad when in Lancs and since living 'Up North' a few fans turn up on July 7th to pay our respects to a very funny man.
                                The memorial became wobbly so we lifted it cementing it back down secure.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	LM 2021 Memorial Repairs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.8 KB ID:	38045

Comment

Working...
                                X