• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	E90E7533-A323-4FAE-99B0-EFE7094C67F4.jpeg
Views:	339
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	40096 Watching my new ET Print this evening! Looks sensational.

Click image for larger version

Name:	36B2C708-D7D3-42DC-8CE0-DA57801E2A2C.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	40094 Click image for larger version

Name:	2C8101F8-945A-44D8-A5B6-7E7DBED063AC.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	40095

Comment

• Brilliant

Comment

• I'm not the only one to be seen with an old camera in the streets of Brussels...

image widget

Comment

Name:	1FBDF22A-5F98-46A0-8B9F-3E90D07C2124.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	40434 New drawing I made yesterday! Vintage Horror Comic!

Comment

Name:	9D50BE56-A33E-4891-8A15-B0B39A125B2E.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	40850 Enjoyed the first one so much I decided to make another one!

Comment

• Lincoln,

Very nice work! I used to buy those comics all the time, which explains why I turned out this way.....

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0062.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	41202

10 Years ago this month...

I went to Russia for the last time. This was Novosibirsk: the third largest city in Russia. This was a town that was established by the USSR as a place for scientific research far away from prying eyes, and it's hard to imagine a more difficult place for those prying eyes to get to. There's this point on the world where Russia, China, Mongolia and Kazakhstan meet at almost a point. You find this point, travel about 500 Miles approximately North into Siberia, and there you are! (I told people my boss sent me to Siberia, they didn't realize I was being literal!)

I was there on business. At the time, the federal Lab I work for was contracting out a major section of an electron accelerator to a Russian physics institute, and I went to inspect their work. This was among the worst business travel I ever have done: it is 11 time zones out, so I couldn't phone my family. The best we could manage was email to my wife at work very, very late at night for me. It was also a 9 hour flight, a layover in Moscow until the next morning and a 5 hour flight within Russia. I have never had worse jet lag my entire life. The hotel shut down hot water for maintenance: the week of cold showers was...invigorating! The food was...welll!...by the time I got home, I could have robbed a pizzeria at gunpoint!

What was cool about it is being that I was at a scientific institute in a city meant for secrecy, I was seeing things that were never meant for American eyes!

-but as the picture shows, the world has changed since Stalin himself established Novosibirsk!
                    Last edited by Steve Klare; August 24, 2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
                      Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0062.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	41202

10 Years ago this month...

I went to Russia for the last time. This was Novosibirsk: the third largest city in Russia. This was a town that was established by the USSR as a place for scientific research far away from prying eyes, and it's hard to imagine a more difficult place for those prying eyes to get to. There's this point on the world where Russia, China, Mongolia and Kazakhstan meet at almost a point. You find this point, travel about 500 Miles approximately North into Siberia, and there you are! (I told people my boss sent me to Siberia, they didn't realize I was being literal!)

I was there on business. At the time, the federal Lab I work for was contracting out a major section of an electron accelerator to a Russian physics institute, and I went to inspect their work. This was among the worst business travel I ever have done: it is 11 time zones out, so I couldn't phone my family. The best we could manage was email to my wife at work very, very late at night for me. It was also a 9 hour flight, a layover in Moscow until the next morning and a 5 hour flight within Russia. I have never had worse jet lag my entire life. The hotel shut down hot water for maintenance: the week of cold showers was...invigorating! The food was...welll!...by the time I got home, I could have robbed a pizzeria at gunpoint!

What was cool about it is being that I was at a scientific institute in a city meant for secrecy, I was seeing things that were never meant for American eyes!

-but as the picture shows, the world has changed since Stalin himself established Novosibirsk!
                      WOW! That is so cool to hear. You always have an excellent way with words and it's very interesting to read about your work.

Comment

• Thanks!

-but it's a lot cooler now that I've had ten years of recovery!

I arrived home on a weekday evening. My Boss knew the score, so he suggested I take the next day off. I woke up the next day...sometime: time itself had lost all meaning! I was sitting on the couch, kind of slowly emerging from the Fog, when in comes my wife and my (then) nine year old. I asked "What are YOU doing home?", and she said "It's five in the afternoon: same time we always get home!".

Travel Tip: never stay in a hotel run by the Siberian Ministry of Sciences...Waldorf Astoria it aint!
                        New York Pizza in Novosibirsk!
                        It was CLOSED!-CLOSED I SAY!
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0056.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.5 KB ID:	41206

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3383.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	41305

A Point for 16mm!

Among all my active projectors, the only one that can "see" over the couch in Theater II without standing on a pile of phone books (-and where do you find those these days?!) is my Kodak Pageant, my one and only 16mm machine.
                          16mm: Wide AND Tall! 😉
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3384.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	41306

Comment

• This morning, I visited my mum's grave for the first time since the gravestone had been replaced, having been moved for her burial and father's ashes laid to rest, and also the additional inscription to be added. Needless to say..... in my eyes the 'stone is beautiful.

They are both buried in the same cemetery as our cinema hero / heroine Old Mother Riley, actor Arthur Lucan, who died on stage at the Tivoli Theatre in Hull in 1954. His memorial is in a courtyard garden next to where the services take place. It was nice to pay my respects to him, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210827_115229.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	41419

Comment

• Melvin, you brought back memories of my first ever super 8mm film that was a 200’ B&W digest of “My Son The Vampire” (aka “Mother Riley Meets the Vampire”) with Old Mother Riley… I watched that film so many times as a child I think I could replay it in my head. Some 15 years or so ago I purchased the DVD of the full length film and despite having a terrible rating of 3.9 out of 10 on IMDB, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Here is the IMDB link https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044925/

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	DogVertical.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	41588

Owning a convertible has been on my bucket list for about 40 years. (I've come close at least twice!)

If I ever do pull it off, maybe I'll get a baseball hat and a big dog to go with it: it's just got style!

Comment

Working...
                                X