8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 04, 2008 04:34 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While transfering the films to my hard drive for future retracking in stereo, I watched
- U8 2 parter of the Blues Brothers
- Mkg 3 parter of Orca

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2008 04:51 PM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just screened WAR OF THE WORLDS, an edited 3 400foot reel version, which, while it is lacking the opening credits [Frown] has terrific color and is well edite. Those flying machines still rival any cgi effects today, even with those strings visible!!! [Wink] Another great DERANN purchase.

--------------------
Seems? I know not seems!!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 05, 2008 11:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank!

Your the fellow who got that print. I was hopin to snatch that one up myself! Good job!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2008 09:52 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screening Date Sunday Night November 9th

Flight of the Osiris - AnaMatrix (Was checking a scope lens)

We Faw Down - Laurel & Hardy Pt 1 of 2 Silent

From Soup To Nuts - Laurel & Hardy Pt 2 of We Faw Down Silent

The Flying Deuces Laurel & Hardy sound feature

Jurassic Park Reel 2 (checking sound recording)

I also took a few minutes to give my machines a good cleaning, including lenses, gates, sound heads, and checking the lamps.

Total time slightly over 3 hours.

All super 8. Maybe the Panny later this week!

Memo to Osi: Thank you very much for the Mary Kay film print. Definately a keeper...by the end I was expecting an Orgy to break out but nope.....didn't happen. [Big Grin]

CG

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 10, 2008 03:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No sweat Chip! Good to hear. It was certainly an interesting piece of nolstalgia that actually hasn't really dated, (except Mary Kay, of course). [Big Grin] [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2008 04:24 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Made another presentation to a History Society this evening, the show being dedicated to Laurel & Hardy.

I addressed the audience for about 15 minutes giving them a brief outline of L&H's lives,how they got together, Stan's genius the other side of the camera etc.

Then on with the S8mm show. Started with 'Perfect Day', 'Dirty Work' Laurel&Hardy's 'Musical Moments' which had sequences from Swiss Miss Way Out West and The Music Box, finishing the show with 'Towed In A Hole'

The show was very well recieved with laughter again filling the hall. The only downside was the GS let me down yet again just after setting up. I always take the 1200HD as a reserve and it peformed beautifully.
Mal

[ November 24, 2008, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Mal Brake ]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2008 02:08 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I re-record the Derann-Feature of Star Trek VII-Generations to German Sound. I had recorded the Original Sound to the second track. Today I will show again to check the synchronicity.

I recorded with an Revue Lux Sound 80 and check with an Elmo ST1200-HD.

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2008 11:58 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screened the following films to retired Great Western Railway staff this afternoon in a local social club.
"West Of Darlington" "Black Five" "Ride Of The 480" and "Tracks Around The Island". Total running time was one hour.
This was the first try of the Fuji ESC lamp. See my post on Kev's thread for the result.

I never accept money for these shows so I was given an invitation to join the members for a three course Christmas lunch in 3 weeks time. They did the same thing last year and it's hard to believe another year has passed.
A free lunch and bringing 8mm to a wider audience can't be bad [Smile]
Mal

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2008 03:06 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I had to replace the exciter lamp and one of the belts on my Elf RM1, so I used the opportunity to watch "Jungle Jim in the Forbidden Land", a recent ebay acquisition with Johnny Weismuller. He fought hippos and crocodiles, panthers, hairy giants and assorted bad guys. It was so exciting I had to lie down and rest afterwards. [Big Grin]

Paul.

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2008 04:16 PM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Niles print of Little Abner, not bad for a old print, probably couldn't make that movie in todays climate!

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2008 01:24 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I've projected "The Man With The Golden Gun", a very good print, flat unfortunately, with good colors and in original version with subtitels.

And last week, it was time to view one more time "AIRPORT '77" in great scope and colors.
WAW!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 21, 2008 10:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chip!

You got "Lil Abner", did reel two play O.K.? It looked a little hinky. It was interesting to see Buster Keaton later in his career, but not too late. Actually, if you look at the credits, (or on the internet), you'll find quite a number of the silent comedians (desperate for work in the early forties) in that film, like the great Chester Conklin!

As for me, it was the first part of the Scope Feature, BEN HUR!

It reminds me of that great Groucho Marx joke ...

" I was once in a two person stage play of Ben Hur ...

She played Ben ... and I played her! "

(wiggle of eyebrows!)

Which reminds me, I think I'll pull out the Marx Brothers Feature "Night in Casablanca", not absolutely vintage Marx Brothers, but not that bad either!

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2008 04:40 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
I just love 'A Night In Casablanca'
Mal

--------------------

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2008 04:57 AM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, It was "SUPERMAN 2", with full main titels and the dinner sequence.
Overmore, The previous owner of the film had filmed the complete end title on the TV. So, I've the complete main and end title.
Great condensed feature in SCOPE!

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal,

I've got the 400' Super 8 Sound of 'A Night In Cassablanca' along with the 16m full version. The 8mm one is not a great edit; it's been a while since I watched it, but I'm 90% certain that it's just the last 20 mins of the full feature.

I need some space, so if you want the Super 8 version it's yours for the cost of postage. (Or any old, beaten up railway print you'd like to dispose of [Smile] ) Contact me at stewart.mcsporran at ntlworld dot com if you're interested.

Stewart

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2008 12:55 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stewart,
Thanks for the generous offer but I had the S8 400ft version and as you say it's just the last 18 minutes or so.
I also had a standard 8 4 X 400ft copy, that was a bit splicey and the editing was choppy.

As for the rail films, I'm hanging on to those. Just placed an order for a few more with Ian at Perry's.
regards,
Mal

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 22, 2008 06:21 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Madagascar Penguins (Yes, Rico, Ka-Boom)
Always a crowd pleaser.
and "Panik im Tokyo Express/Bullet Train" (Piccolo 400ft) as I just finished the retracking into French.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 22, 2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal,

Personally, I liked the edit of it as , as a general rule, they just got rid of the romantic subplot, which I always felt was the only thing that dragged down a Marx Brothers film. I thought the onlt poor part of the film, quite frankly, was the whole ending (except for the last gag), with the airplane. That might work for Abbott and Costello or Marin and Lewis, but it seemed beneath the Marx Brothers.

One piece of VERY RARE super 8 I'd like to find is a print of the 400ft release of "Deputy Seraphim". It was the collected pieces of film that were shot for the proposed last Marx Brothers project, shot in 1959, where the Marx Brothers are angels that go and screw things up on the earth. Unfortunately,
Chico was in ill health and couldn't remember his lines for even a few moments. harpo and Groucho, however, were just fine. It should be noted however, that Chico was also medicated for some reason (the reason escapes me) and so he wasn't up to his regular standards.

It was never finished.

I've only seen a few of these bits and pieces, but there was a 400ft release of I believe, all the bits and pieces, and I've only seen one copy on ebay, (it sold for about 70.00 dollars if I remember correctly).

If anybody on the forum has this title, please let me know, as I'd love to track down who released it and if I could have a chance at finding a copy

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2008 07:23 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday the main feature was Orson Welles' THE STRANGER,preceded by Ub Iwerks' Columbia cartoon NOVELTY SHOP (exellent colors),Hans Fisherkoesen's TANZTEE (commercial for Telefunken radios),Bruno Bozzetto's LA VITA IN UNA SCATTOLA and trailers of GONE WITH THE WIND,BECAUSE YOU'RE MINE and IVANHOE.

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2008 07:19 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Panayotis,

I hope you're pleased with the print of 'The Stranger'! I seem to have misplaced your email address. Could you send it to me? (my email address is in my profile).

Best,

- Rob

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 23, 2008 03:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,

Who released " The Stranger" on Super 8?

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2008 09:29 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screening Date Sunday November 24th

Everything super 8 sound on 2 x 1200 ft reels with one changeover

Using 2 Elmo ST1200HD Projectors Optical Equipped

Cartoon: Dinky Duck Can't remember the title.

Trailers: First Blood / Flashdance / Rambo First Blood Pt 2 / Private Lessons (red band R rated)

Short: Reflections USA

Feature: Tender Mercies /w/ Robert Duvall (Optical)

A Great Evening with Super 8 Films Yay!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 24, 2008 10:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Classic feature film, that "Tender Mercies" and good sound, but it is the ONLY optical feature I have ever ran into with a marginal focus.

--------------------

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2008 01:52 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After doing 2 Race Nights (at 2 different Golf Clubs) I needed a treat, so on Sunday evening I watched (on a 1200D) '100 yrs Underground' (again!) and 'Night Mail' and 'Movie Man'. In 16mm I watched a couple of docs and ' The Punch & Judy Man'. All very pleasant.

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2008 07:18 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who released " The Stranger" on Super 8?
I don't know. The print came in generic plastic cases. It might be on the leaders. Maybe Panayotis can check. It's a very nice print.

- Rob

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC