8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 192)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  189  190  191  192  193  194  195  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2016 02:19 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched some DePalma last night too, Brian. Blu ray of Dressed To Kill. Never seen it before, what a dog's dinner of a film!

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2016 02:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have it as a 3x 400ft cut down Stuart. It's quite good I think on that length but I am biased as I really like the formula Brian De Palma worked to for his films.

Nancy Allen wasn't too untidy either back in the day! 😊😊😊

It's one that comes up from time to time along with Carrie of course.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2016 02:57 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's got some flashes of brilliance hasn't it? The lengthy, wordless museum scene, that audacious split-screen section and that OUTRAGEOUSLY beautifully lit asylum. It just sags whenever anyone opens their mouths... but hell yes you're not wrong about Nancy Allen!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 16, 2016 03:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Some great Super 8 references as well in this one Stuart!

Peter was a whiz with his automated time lapse Super 8 camera!😀

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of reels of Deranns' 4x400 ft of the Norman Wisdom/Sally Geeson film "What's Good for the Goose". Now very pink, but with a very long Derann animated logo at the start. Not only does it have the censor's "A" certificate but most of the first night's stay in Southport scenes (if not all) are missing from this edit - so none of the hotel Sally topless scenes are there.
I'm only mentioning this as I saw Sally at the Kaleidoscope event last year when she talked about the filming before the main event of a "Bless this House" reunion with Robin Stewart, who died that year. A very lovely lady and my reason for re-watching the film.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 19, 2016 07:48 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, the silent version. I had the same good surprise I had last time : the film (which has a soundtrack) runs at 18 fps and has no flickering with the Beaulieu set on the two blade shutter position. I readed that the perception of flickering varies from one viewer to another (and that would be the official reason the 16 fps speed was changed to 18 fps to allow everybody to Watch a film in the normal conditions) but if I were Lucky to be less sensitive to flickering, I guess I would not notice it when there is no film in the projector (but I do notice it so there must be another explanation). Thanks to this space, I got a private message from a member of the forum about The Cat And The Canary. He sent me a very interesting article about the restoration of this film. As I love silent films, that was very appreciated. I know it has been said several times but this forum allows you to be in touch with wonderful people.

--------------------
Dominique

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2016 09:31 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The perception of flicker has a lot to do with the brightness of the image on the screen. So when you have a rather dark print and project this @18fps with a two bladed shutter it may well be acceptable. On the other hand projection @24fps and a two bladed shutter may also give you some flicker if the lamp is very bright. Most commercial 35mm projectors have a two bladed shutter, but the studio versions of the same machine are almost always 3 bladed to avoid any flicker.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 20, 2016 10:10 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense, Alexander as I see the flickering without film (so with a bright image) and not with it. The two copies are indeed dark.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2016 11:06 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I heard that UK "News Theatre" cinemas at railway stations had small high brightness screens (for people coming in from daylight and not staying long) and had noticeable flicker.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 20, 2016 10:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I celebrated the first day of Spring the way I do many years with my DCR print of the BTF "Journey into Spring"

-I may be getting a little ahead of myself. Tonight's forecast?

Snow!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 21, 2016 04:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only watched one Super 8 film [Frown] HOT SPOT Collectors Club

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 21, 2016 04:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight i put on a scope trailer of A Bridge too Far, great little trailer this, a very full 50 foot spool and action packed with all the stars quickly glanced,
Then i had a lunatic 25 minutes with the Freeway Frenzy scope stereo extract from the Matrix, this 600 footer (actually its around 500 foot), is probably one of the most adrenalin pumping reels ever put on 8mm as an extract, it is also one of those films that makes the very most of the scope screen, the images here do not do it justice as i think it is also one of best quality scope films Derann released, pin sharp image throughout.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ March 25, 2016, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 24, 2016 12:25 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couple of Cadburys Smash ads and an excellent copy we picked up from an indoor market of the classic Blazing Saddles.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 24, 2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking good Tom! [Wink]

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 26, 2016 12:26 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received this Super 8 Sound print of Great Moments in Baseball. It had some sprocket damage so I repaired it as much as possible and since I didn't see a copy on YouTube I decided to transfer it to digital before the damage got any worse. It has too many classic clips to lose. The screen captures are from the frame-by-frame transfer. My sons and I are big baseball fans and really love watching these historical films.

Quality of the film...not great...but the added narration and crowd noise still make it exciting!

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 26, 2016 11:08 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't look too shabby to me! [Smile]

We watched "The Man Who Would Be King" letterboxed. It's too bad that it has some warming to the color, but still quite enjoyable, especially as it's the uncut British version.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2016 06:21 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not much last night. I had done some routine maintenance on my Norisound 412. (Tightening the screws on the original connecting block for the lamp as it was running hot and cleaning the main drive belt/pulley to cure slow starting).
I checked my work by putting a Sylvester cartoon through. It was a Derann LLP print of "The Last Hungry Cat", great colour, grain and contrast no to mention very funny despite Tweety only appearing at the very start and end.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2016 06:29 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was a Bruce Lee double, The Big Boss and Game of Death 4x400 features, some King Full fun!!! Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2016 08:43 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! all.last couple nights i screened a ccouple of trailers a doble bill,must say.magnificent seven and the great escape,both in scope.
and two of mine favourite features:

-goldfinger
-seven brides for seven brothers
great prints

best;
luis caramelo

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2016 02:01 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a couple of silent 200ft reels last night. To my surprise they were both on Agfa 2S so had kept good colour. The first was Castle of Death from Vampire Circus, a full frame print from Walton. The second was The Super Nanny from Mary Poppins in masked widescreen about 1.75:1, very goo picture but would have been much better with the song not just sub titles.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2016 12:43 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it was checking a couple of films I have recently purchased on... (whisper)..... Ebay UK.

First was laurel & Hardy in "Below Zero" - The Walton 400' which was/is in great condition as was the sound.

Second was the "Limited Edition" 400' 'scope version of "Escape to Athena." Once again a Walton. Good condition.No scratches or anything, good sound but... Oh the colour fade......! Such a shame for one rollercoaster of an action film.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2016 05:11 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another very enjoyable session tonight.

Bundle of Joy 4x 400' colour - Debbie Reynolds. The review in the "print review" section of the forum is spot on in regards to the colouring.... still a beautiful print. Was viewing it for the first time and without ever seeing the full version so a real treat seeing images on the big screen I had never seen before.

Fame 2x 400' - Irene Cara. Very impressive cut down.

The Sugarland Express 2x 400' - Goldie Hawn. Enjoyable police chase caper but irritating in the fact that it was a non-anamorphic widescreen print,but the titles and end titles printed over the full frame and were in the proper anamorphic format so were "squashed" anyway.... !

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 30, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice prints there Melvin. Hopefully you've now had chance to view the photos I posted of the late Mr Littlechild?

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2016 05:26 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, pardon my ignorance, but where did you post them? I have had a look in a few places but not spotted them. It's probably my fault as I sometimes don't see things that are right in front of me (except super 8 film,of course!)

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 30, 2016 05:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin have a look on the REEL film magic forum. They are there. Join us all if you wish,you'd be most welcome! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  189  190  191  192  193  194  195  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC