8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 63rd BFCC (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 63rd BFCC
Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2015 11:52 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks dominique lets hope attendance is good this time and long may it continue

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Costa Mota
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2015 05:03 PM      Profile for Antonio Costa Mota   Email Antonio Costa Mota   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone
I have just booked hotel and flight, in order to attend
The BFCC. I look forward to meeting you guys then.

--------------------
António C. Mota

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 04:30 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good attendance and all the telephone calls and emails asking that he didn't call it a day. But we do keep talking about if there is a future beyond the next and there are many considerations besides the great support we've had over the years by so many regular enthusiasts coming along to make the day worthwhile - primarily the main consideration is sourcing a venue. The school we currently use is a good film collector convention home and it's close to Keith's house which means we can get the equipment there. If we lose that we're in trouble just as we were when the Ealing Town Hall trebled their charge and we were forced out.

Biggest problem for the next BFCC - I've suffered a back injury and can't even more the HTI GS1200 so there's currently no hope of transporting it 230 miles.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 02, 2015 07:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to think someone on here could and would be willing to do the lifting and shifting for you John if that was the only restraint on it happening.

So will this years event be going ahead as planned or not John, given the situation with your back?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 02, 2015 09:46 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a good chance John put his back out lifting the massive GS1200. I know I have come close to doing that myself, and I now take extra care on how I pick it up.
Yet another virtue of the Eumig S938.............. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 02, 2015 10:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and this is a HTI model unique to John, so even heavier like a Xenon.

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 03:38 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be there too. Do you think there wil be enough light to film with a Fuji 64T?

--------------------
Maurizio

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 04:00 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not in the screening room, Maurizio (have a look at the past BFCC pictures).
If there is a nice weather, maybe in the dealer's hall you may take some shots.

BTW, Plane booked and hotel is the next in to-do list

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2015 04:12 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a bit heavier than a Xenon - and a much higher light output so that's why I had it done. A standard Xenon on the 24ft wide screen will mean we'll have to position it much closer to the screen to maximize the light. Cue the old accusations of me talking cobblers but there you go, I've used both and I know which is best (by a long way).

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 03, 2015 02:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes John I have read the controversy in the past regarding the Xenon vs the HTI though you don't have to convince me, I would expect the HTI lamp to be much brighter especially when new.

Anyhow back to the question asked, will your back injury prevent you from attending this year's BFCC with your Elmo HTI and will this have any impact on the films shown or indeed, whether the event will even go ahead given that you are one of the event organizers?

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 04:01 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith is the organizer, I'm just the helper but as we're currently living over 200 miles away it's difficult to do more than just turn up on the day. Moving the HTI machine is not possible at the moment as I can't lift anything without risking putting myself back where I was 3 months ago. If there was someone nearby whom I could trust to man handle the projector into the car then we'd have a better chance of getting it to Ealing but people around here don't tend to show respect to irreplaceable equipment. It's a lack of understanding I suppose. We'd still have to get it in and out of the car several times and that ain't easy at the best of times anyway.

So I think it will be the standard Xenon to show the films at Ealing. Whilst that will be a disappointment it's still the best every other convention has ever offered and what we used until the superior HTI was created.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 01:15 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take care John I slipped a disc (PID) about ten years ago. It was the worst pain I ever had. I still lift very carfully now.

I hope I can get the year. Before they used to either clash with working or my holidays. Sadly this year although none of the above apply, personal problems could still get in the way.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2015 06:37 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John,
Out of interest did anyone undertake a controlled brightness reading of 'open gates' on both the Xenon and HTI in a side by side comparison shootout?
It would be interesting to see what the results were and would go some to qualifying your statement, 'superior HTI' otherwise it's a bit subjective.
Best,
Rick

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2015 04:57 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevo came round and did this when the HTI conversion was first done. I can't remember the exact results but it was significantly brighter than Kevo's Xenon.

But then so many of us saw the first demonstration at the Ealing Town Hall where we followed a standard Xenon with HTI that there really is no argument which was why I found it strange people on here wanted to take issue with the facts a couple of years back.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2015 06:07 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
People with a Xenon, will never pleased that there is something brighter I suppose John.

From the on screen images I have seen of the Beaulieu HTI, the model that fitted this lamp as standard, nothing could beat it, it is blisteringly bright!

I think the only argument is that the HTI dips off quicker as it ages and just like a digital projector, takes time to get to full brightness. Plenty of long leader required! Ha ha.

--------------------

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2015 11:00 AM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to add that when I converted Johns GS1200 to HTI, I had a Xenon GS here at the same that had just had a new Toshiba lamp fitted, I ran the two side by side (both with new lamps) and the HTI was brighter, then as lenses can vary I did a comparison swapping the lens over, using a light meter the HTI was brighter, all these comparisons were carried out on a white screen.
As John said we were all amazed with the picture on the large scope screen at Ealing town hall.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 08, 2015 11:10 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You did a wonderful job Bill from all accounts, but then there is no surprise in that Bill!

I just wish I could wind the clock back twenty or so years Bill, then I would pass you over my Beaulieu for conversion lol. [Wink]

Though to be fair, it is more than ample as is in the brightness department for anything other than large hall use.

One of each would be nice though, a standard one as I have for my living room and a HTI for showcasing the gauge at events. Now that would be nice! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC