8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Super 8 Features RARE on Ebay! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Super 8 Features RARE on Ebay!
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Del - Yes,it's very rare to find a Marketing print with good color. The cut-downs are holding up much better. However, the Barbarella feature I just got is getting better reel by reel color-wise... not sure why the first one looks more off. I think it's because her fur lined spaceship has a red tone so it was throwing me off! Plus, I don't want to rub it in, but the Straw Dogs" print is pretty gorgeous... with rich deep color and seamless editing down to 85 minutes.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 10:40 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for A STAR IS BORN, which I got for under $40.00 including postage. It's supposed to be on 2X1200' reels. Just hoping the color is decent. This feature was listed a little later than the others. I wonder if there'll be anymore? Brian, not to get off the subject, but how did you make out with that Derann print of THE MUMMY that had the defect? Oh, and THANKS to Alan Rik for the alert!

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 12:52 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe - Derann checked out the Mummy negative for me and it appears it's been damaged so all the prints are similiar at this point. Gary was nice enough to give me a little credit and I believe the title has been withdrawn because of the problem. It's still worth getting however since it's a gorgeous print besides the rolling white line on reel four which isn't enough to ruin it.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 26, 2008 01:07 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee I really hate to say it...but there is a copy of "Freaks" in 16mm with this same seller..I don't know how rare in 16mm but super rare on Super 8mm. The last one went for over $400 years ago!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Tod-Browning-1932-Classic-Cult-Film-FREAKS-16mm_W0QQitemZ300226041929QQihZ020QQcategoryZ151720QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But this one may sell high....its in the right category!

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 01:28 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian to say you don't want to rub it in, your doing a very good job [Big Grin] I didn't really want that one anyway, honest [Wink]

It does look like all the super 8 stuff has gone, it's now all 16mm.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 02:33 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Del - OK, I don't feel guilty about getting Straw Dogs then... but I must admit it's a tricky film to show to an audience. Any woman would be horrified/offended by that rape scene. I forgot how intense and controversial it was/is.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 26, 2008 05:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I'm going to watch that, just to see how high it goes.

Does anybody know just how many prints of "Freaks" there was on super 8?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 06:07 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, that's why it was banned in the UK for a long long time.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 28, 2008 12:13 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freaks ended at $408...almost the same as the Super 8 version. Its a classic!

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 03:40 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, somebody's not feeling the credit crunch.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 09:07 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been away at the Columbus Cinevent. Brian asked about who got Rosemary's Baby...and that would be me. It's odd, but my print has not arrived so I can't report on it yet. I'm glad you other folks were reasonably happy with your prints.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, I think only Brian has received his up to yet, but reading between the lines I think the forum members won quite a lot of the features on sale and we are all waiting (us brits longer than others [Frown] ). Del.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 02:34 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary - Glad I know who got Rosemary's Baby now! I'm very curious about how it compares to my print which is a bit washed out compared to the cut-down and the letterboxing changes shot to shot which is really annoying. Please report back after you watch it.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received my film A STAR IS BORN on two nice ELMO 1200' reels. The description said there were some splices, so I attached a new leader (which was missing) redid about five splices I found on the first reel, ran it through some FILMGUARD, and ran it. Although the color was a little faded, it was still pretty good. Excellent clear sound and no lines or scratches, and it ran rock steady with a good sharp focus. The only problem was that it wasn't the film described...it's the 1937 version starring Fredric March!!!! [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 05:38 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember thinking that I had never seen the Streisand/Kristofferson version of A STAR IS BORN as a feature on super 8 before. I guess that's becaue it doesn't really exist!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 28, 2008 06:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion Joe, you got the much better version of "A Star is Born", the modern version, (in my opinion) was a pale comparison to the original,

considering that I'm a big Streisand fan, that's saying a lot.

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2008 05:29 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you're right Osi, it's a great film, so I wasn't too disappointed, although I won't be keeping it in my collection. It's now on six 400' reels and will be sold.

[ May 30, 2008, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2008 10:47 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got through the last reel of my 2001 print. The color seemed to get better and better as the film went along and the black space looked nice and black - not washed out and faded. I'm so thrilled to have this classic film in my collection.

Does anyone know which distributer released this feature on super 8? Was it a Ken release? I don't remember seeing it advertised in any of my catalogs. I seem to remember a photo of the film coming in a large plastic case with nice artwork, but now I'm not sure. Since it's on 1200' reels now there are no clues. Thanks for any info...

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2008 08:40 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian,
yes you are correct. 2001 was released by Ken Films in those great plastic cases with the great artwork. It is interesting that though you see a lot of those Ken Features coming up for sale, very few are still in those cool boxes. I wonder what happened to them?
Best wishes,
Paul.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2008 09:10 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary - Don't forget to report when you get your ROSEMARY'S BABY feature... still curious about the print quality.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2008 01:28 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get my films on Friday, Gordons decided I don't pay enough TAXES as it is and wants some more of me before I can have them delivered, I have to take my hat of to the man, he certainly knows how to shaft the masses [Mad]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 04, 2008 04:28 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan, let me know if you sent the 50' can or box - Thanks from Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 04, 2008 10:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me thinks Del is peeved!

Now I'm almost happy that I didn't win "The Stranger", and I still don't know who won it. I'm thinking that it must be someone that's not a member of this forum.

Why that's immoral!

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2008 08:12 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received the print of Rosemary's baby and it was brownish....odd print. Most brown prints don't carry green's or blues...but when this print does have blues and greens..in some cases very strong blues and greens...but the overall tone is still brown....almost as if it was printed on the brown side to start with. Sound is excellent. One problem...it came on two 1200 foot reels which were overflowing.....so I had to break it down to three reels in order to show it. Still...it was in good shape..and watchable....and since it's a very rare print, I didn't think 90 dollars was too much. I had not seen the film since it opened theatrically so many years ago..so I was very caught up in it again. I had forgotten about William Castle's cameo appearance.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 05, 2008 09:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, it seem your Rosemary's print similar to the other Marketing's prints, i.e Godfather 1 & 2.

They are very sephia. I would think we should blame on the negative they had.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC