No announcement yet.

Wolverine-Hawkeye Telecine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes the tool may be doing it. It is OK to do that, but not OK for raw output comparison because the on-board ISP that we use can also sharpen the image. I do not use that function but sharpen it in the post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stan Jelavic View Post
      Yes the tool may be doing it. It is OK to do that, but not OK for raw output comparison because the on-board ISP that we use can also sharpen the image. I do not use that function but sharpen it in the post.
      ok

Comment

• It does look nice and sharp when zoomed out. And the images that you posted before look sharp. Have you tried it on a large monitor?

Comment

It does look nice and sharp when zoomed out. And the images that you posted before look sharp. Have you tried it on a large monitor?
          I have a old 30" Dell from 2011 https://www.anandtech.com/show/4070/...-inch-flagship and i do see the artifact i think it's maybe compression artifact it's JPG the original TIFF i did upload to Flickr is not there anymore

here is the same lens VideoFred did have i have it to here is a test capture with it Mevis C Lens 50mm https://www.flickr.com/photos/94271811@N03/8593778592/

and here is my first lens TECHSPEC® Compact Fixed Focal Length lenses 35mm that i did buy when i did buy my DFK 23G274 camera it's little overexposure
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/94271811@N03/8579584883/
          Last edited by Mattias Norberg; September 07, 2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing Mattias. I compared the lenses and the aico 16mm is comparable to the Mevis at least resolution wise.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	compare_mavis_aico.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	16482

So I think the 16mm was a good pick. Also good corner focus on both of these lenses.

Kamel, can you post your original image somewhere so that we can compare the details. The resized image gives a blurry look.

Name:	kamel-compare.png
Views:	364
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	16483

Attached Files

Comment

• Back to HDR. Had an idea on how to get the HDR images from single exposure with the 12 bit camera.
              Did a google search and found this article which discusses a similar idea.
              https://skylum.com/blog/how-to-make-...ingle-raw-file

The idea is capture in a single exposure mode with IC Capture with 64 bits.
              Fr the scenes with very high contract cut the exposure down so that the white areas still have details.
              This can be done during scan. The images will look dark like this one.

Name:	sky_flare2.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	16487

Then switch back to normal exposure after that.
              The dark scenes then can be brightened up via a script. YOu should get something like this.

Name:	lo-exp4 copy.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	16488
              The two can then be combined for the HDR image.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	16489 Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	16490

Not as good quality as the two exposure HDR but not bad. OK which one is single exposure

I believe the whole thing could be done in a single script. I have some ideas what teh script should look like and I am
              sure Mattias will have some ideas. This is actually pretty cool.

Comment

I believe the whole thing could be done in a single script. I have some ideas what teh script should look like and I am
                sure Mattias will have some ideas. This is actually pretty cool.
                single exposure maybe it's possible to use a script with imagemagick and save 2 different adjusted images and then use Enfuse to merge them
                similar like i do in POST NR:832 https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...4270#post14270

maybe like this script

Code:
                SET Input_PATCH1=D:\Film
                SET OUTPUT_PATCH=D:\Output

SET start=0
                SET end=3629

FOR /L %%i IN (%start%,1,%end%) DO (CALL :loopbody "%%i")
                GOTO :eof

:loopbody
                convert.exe "%Input_PATCH1%\image%1.tiff" -gamma 0.5 "D:\Temp\imageLow%1.tiff"
                convert.exe "%Input_PATCH1%\image%1.tiff" -gamma 3.0 "D:\Temp\imageHigh%1.tiff"
                enfuse.exe --soft-mask --exposure-weight=1.0 --saturation-weight=0.2 --contrast-weight=0.0 --entropy-weight=0.0 --exposure-optimum=0.4 --exposure-width=0.2 -v -o "%OUTPUT_PATCH%\image%1.tiff" "D:\Temp\imageLow%1.tiff" "D:\Temp\imageHigh%1.tiff"
                DEL /Q "D:\Temp\*.*"
                GOTO :eof
                i did only change gamma but you can change contrast and brightness and much more

remember to change where you want to have a temp folder
                DEL /Q "D:\Temp\*.*"
                and everywhere you see D:\Temp you have to change to your temp folder location
                everything inside temp folder gets deleted on every loop

and it's maybe possible do the same with photoshop Automate Batch
                Last edited by Mattias Norberg; September 08, 2020, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Mattias. I will try your script tomorrow. One of the issues is that IC Capture produces a single folder with HDR and regular images. Possibly have two different settings and load them as required during scan. My HDR app can do it but I still have not figured out how to capture the 12 bit images.

Comment

• Here My last Scan 1600x1200.

still far from achieving the same quality as you

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iey...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• That is pretty good Kamel. You are getting close to 70 lines and I get 80. Is your lens loose in the holder? Everything has to be solid without any play. Use deep zoom during focus adjustments. It might be a good idea to create the extension tube that can slip over the lens for easier adjustment.

Comment

• Regarding the capstan. Although it is hard to get the capstan to dislodge the jam, the new version detects the jam, stops the stepper and alerts the sonalert. Still very useful in my opinion. If interested I have the list of parts required. BTW, the original capstan motor that we used is not longer available but I tested the new one and it works:
                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SY212B/
                        Qty 6 left.
                        The mounting bracket will have to be redesigned though because the motor is wider than the original one.

Comment

• Stan,
                          "Use deep zoom during focus adjustments."
                          I don't understand. what is the method ? with IC Capture ?

"It might be a good idea to create the extension tube that can slip over the lens for easier adjustment"
                          very good idea ! But can you explain your think ? this is very interresting. I can design it ?

For the capstan, you use the smooth pulley or the teeth pulley ? wich position ?
                          I can design the new motor support if you give me the dimensions.
                          Sorry for my english (google).
                          Last edited by Kamel Ikhlef; September 09, 2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Hi everyone, I have ordered a 16mm lens from aico-lens they tell me its on its way with DHL.
                            Stan, https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...6486#post16486
                            it looks to me that the image on the left is better than the right one, I am guessing the left image is the single exposure HDR, let me know if I am wrong.
                            Regards - Bruce

Comment

• Kamel, what I meant is to zoom in enough to start seeing the pixels and film grain and then adjust the focus in IC Capture. The extension tube is just a round tube that fits snug over the lens. You can push it over the lens and use it for focus adjustment and then pull it back out when done. A softer material would be preferable.

Name:	focus-tube.png
Views:	337
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	16556

Here is the dims of the motor. Thank you Kamel. It goes to the 2nd position with a smooth pulley.

Name:	new-motor.png
Views:	302
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	16557

Bruce the image on the right is with the single exposure. Two exposures are better but the scan is longer and more post involved.

Comment

• Thank you Stan,

I thought you meant zooming in while focusing directly on Hawkeye.
                                I thought this function existed in IC capture. So if I understood correctly it is zooming with software like Photoshop.
                                then repeat the focus and recheck again with photoshop for example.

For the capstan, here is a first draft STEP file but without being able to test.
                                I have left some margins for 3D printing.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X