No announcement yet.

Wolverine-Hawkeye Telecine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops wrong image. That was 1280x1024 rez with 25mm spacers.
    Here is 1750x1300 with 20mm spacers. Still very sharp overall.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	buc02-1750x1300-20mm.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	15371

Comment

• I have changed the mask, inspired by Stan's placement of the electrical tape. It now sits on top of the gate opening. Very easy to change or remove without any danger of scratching the light glass.

I was pretty close, keep changing things so more to do.

Name:	IMG_20200819_222600965.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	15376 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200819_223557129.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	15377 Click image for larger version

Name:	mask5.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	15378

Comment

• Thank you very much Stan...
        ...For taking the time to explain all of this.
        It will help me a lot.

Comment

• Any time Kamel.
          Good progress David. Good thinking. Very easy to replace.

Comment

• Here an other idea inspired by David with the dimensions of Stan.
            It still needs to be adjusted with several tests.

I will post the stl file as soon as possible.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Kamel, the dimensions that I posted are for the bottom opening. The top of the gate cover has slightly different dimensions. Maybe we can wait for David.
              But thank you for trying anyways.

Comment

• OK, thanks Stan.
                Yes, it is wiser to wait for David who is more advanced in the tests.
                My V12 is not yet mounted and I am waiting for the 16mm lens from Aico.
                In the meantime, I'll follow your advice to make small changes to V12.

Comment

• Sounds good Kamel.

Comment

• Back to HDR discussion. Bruce mentioned the new sensors with on-board HDR and we could not find any support for it from ImagingSource. I decided to look into it again and found the following article from IS:
                    https://www.theimagingsource.com/med...hive/20180507/

So the Pegius series of sensors support the on-board HDR and IC Measure supports it (possibly IC Capture as well). Note that IC measure can be used the same as IC Capture. The crosshairs can be easily disabled.

It is more money (over $500). It is lower resolution than some the other cameras that we looked into but large pixel size
                    and obviously on-board HDR capability.
                    The board is larger and we would need the new Hawkeye board or an adapter.

Comment

• Good research Stan. I see the HDR effort as worth having, but not everything will need it. To spend money and time on the Pegius sensor without some kind of example is not for me. The loss of resolution vs the improvement on dynamic range for a live event might be worth the effort, but the improvement on recorded film images might not be there.

The HDR that exists in IC capture or IC measure is worth using. It is simply HDR from a single exposure that is what someone might do by hand, but can be daunting with so many frames or scenes. I'm still testing the dual capture HDR, I think it is well worth having as an option.

Here is a version of the 3D mask that I made. It fits very tightly into the gate opening. It actually snaps into place. This insures a constant crop. There is a small reflection that appears on the sides because the walls are straight. I don't believe this will create a problem. I tried sloping the walls and ran into problems. This mask is for S8 only. I will move onto R8 next.

As it is so tight, it might not fit "your" application, adjust as needed.

I've been having internet connection issues and it might be that I am offline at times in the near future.

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	15596 Super8 mask_11 v1.zip

Comment

• Hi Stan, this means that in order to use the HDR option in "IC Measure" a pregius sensor must be used, the article mentions the IMX 265 (3.1MP) and IMX 264 (5MP), assuming that the IMX 250 would be included also 5MP (all have 3.45 µm pixel size). 3.1MP camera might not be a good option.

Which of the two frame rates is required (38 or 75) to achieve a timely HDR, resolution should be fine with a 5MP camera. "Video Fred claims that there is no benefit (for S8 film) in capturing images much above 1392x1032. With his "Point Grey Flea" and he is not missing anything, film grain is very well captured. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...e9#post2544266

Being able to use the TIS software for HDR (4 frames?) would make the image capturing and processing very simple. What is currently available via software, (thanks to Mattias and Stan for dedicating so much time and effort) has provided incredible results but for me its a time consuming and complex process.

Are these cameras from TIS capable of "Spatially varying exposure", although available resolution might be a problem.

Would be interesting to do a comparison between using Mattias/Stan software vs IC Measure.

Good to hear from you again Kamel.

Thanks everyone and regards - Bruce

Comment

• Great job David. That must have been quite a bit of work to get the dimensions and print right. I don't think a small gap will make any difference. Saying this based on some experiments I have done.
                          Bruce, IMX264 frame rate may bot be good enough when using multiple exposures. IMX250 has a much higher frame rate and may be more suitable for multiple exposure HDR.
                          There is a nice article covering the 4 generations of Pregius sensors.
                          https://thinklucid.com/tech-briefs/s...ion-pregius-s/
                          It does not mention spatially varying exposure but do we really need that since it is a stationary image.

Comment

• Hi David, thanks for the mask, sorry I missed your post, did not reload the page so it was not there.
                            The IMX250 is expensive but at 4 exposures the result might be very very good.
                            Regards - Bruce

Comment

• Hi David, the mask is 13.25x13 mm. Should it be 13.25x12.25mm or did you adjust it to match your printer?

Comment

• Hello everyone,
                                Stan,
                                This is my version of the mask inspired by david's.
                                I added a little lever to make it easier to remove.
                                The hole may need to be adjusted. It works great for me.
                                I am attaching the STEP file for those interested.

BTW : The final model will be printed in matte black filament to avoid reflections.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X