No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue One the Star Wars prequel. I had low expectations but for £2.40 and to see the Peter Cushing cgi I bought this movie. It was not bad. Better than expected and not the usual Luca babble crap. Old squinty eye Forrest Whitaker is the main element. He has moved on from seeing him first in The Crying Game.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	47EE91BE-700A-49FE-B63F-9FEE46FE4265.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	78394

Comment

• I thought Rogue One was good, looks great in 3D blu-ray version, last night "Deepwater Horizon" on the VP, they don't hold back at those who made the bad decision making that led up to this disaster.

Name:	P1330397.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	78411

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
        Well folks if you only like feel good movies with a happy ending, then don't watch this one. In saying that its an impressive film based on Cormac McCarthy's novel, however the rating of Restricted R16 is for a good reason. The cast are really superb, Robert Duvall under heaps of make up, he certainly has been around as an actor for a long time. Guy Pearce, Viggo Mortensen, and newcomer Australian Kodi Smit McPhee. "The Road" is a film that does make you think what might happen, if the world you new was changed drastically eg the lack of, or no food, the total collapse of society as we know it.

It certainly makes you think, Director John Hillcoat has certainly captured the feel of the what if. "The Road" is not for everyone so be warned, for me I think its a well made film, with a top notch cast and story and well worth watching.
        I always enjoyed the work of Viggo Mortensen since I saw him in A History of Violence (2005). Your comment, "if you only like feel good movies with a happy ending, then don't watch this one" about The Road is discouraging.

History of Violence is pretty intense but at least ends well. Here is a quote from IMDB:

Leading a happy and quiet life with his lawyer wife and their two children in the small town of Millbrook, Indiana, mild-mannered Tom Stall cherishes his simple, uneventful existence. However, their idyllic lifestyle is shattered when, one night, Tom saves his customers and friends in self-defence, foiling a vicious attempted robbery in his diner by two violent wanted criminals. Now, heralded as a local hero, Tom's life is changed overnight, attracting unwanted attention, and a national media feeding frenzy. Uncomfortable with his newfound celebrity, Tom tries to return to normalcy, only to find himself confronted by a mysterious man who arrives in town believing Tom is the man who wronged him in the past.
        Here is a scene early in the film when Viggo's character has to break out of his assumed non-violent character, and confront the criminals:

Comment

• Earth Vs Flying Saucers neat early Ray Harryhausen movie. Colorised version is pretty good.

Name:	05C56FAF-EAB0-4BFE-A784-25947D350D06.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	78798 Click image for larger version

Name:	05C56FAF-EAB0-4BFE-A784-25947D350D06.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	78799

Comment

• Well tonight it was again "Is Anybody There" lot of truth in this film of what happens when we all get old, some being forced into an old folks home.

Name:	P1170670.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	78813

Name:	P1170671.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	78814

Comment

• The Railway Children Return ​Jenny Agutter Tom Countenay Dr Zhviago Excellent on Ten Feet Screen

Name:	image.png
Views:	184
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	78822

Comment

• 20 Million Miles to Earth and It came from Beneath the sea. Two early Harryhausen movies. Great movies and miraculous that one man created the Creatures. Click image for larger version

Name:	6386EC46-2FD1-42D7-ADCD-57161ACA5C0F.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	78902

Comment

• Last night I treated myself to watching a Blu Ray of a film I have not seen for around 50 years or so.....

The Jungle Book

I had bought it from a charity shop a few days ago as a "3 for a fiver" deal together with The Lion King and Beauty and The Beast.... all blu ray so watch this space when I finally get around to viewing them.

Also, I watched a dvd I bought at another charity shop recently that I don't see available very often. It was "The Flight of The Phoenix." I have only seen the 200' super 8 version (still on the search for the 400') so was looking forward to seeing Richard Attenborough and company in full flight, so to speak, as per the box cover.
                  Put the dvd in the player and what did I get ? A 2005 ish revamp starring Hugh Laurie of all people. It wasn't bad but a let down when I expected the 1965 version. Such is life!

Comment

• Melvin The blu-ray of the original "Flight Of The Phoenix" is very good and well worth getting.

I have to admit the film projectors are not getting a lot of use lately, with the school holidays and family visits its really been down to the Epson VP and blu-ray. First of was my grandson who wanted to watch the 3D version of "The Martian" as I only have one pair of 3D glasses was a matter of just him watching it on his own, with a caution not to touch the lenses, be super careful, which he was. He really enjoyed Mars in 3D. I must say, its a impressive transfer.

The second night we both watched "1917", an excellent movie.
                    Third night, just me "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" I really enjoy this one, plus the 1970s Willy Wonka, both blu-ray picture and sound quality are really good with those two.
                    Forth night with the grandkids gone home it was again JAWS just me the blu-ray quality of JAWS is great
                    Daughter came round today for one of my mystery screenings, my wife Yvonne suggested "The Book Thief" now that's a good idea I thought, its a outstanding movie. April later told me she had seen it before on the TV, but watching it on the Epson VP was a whole different story, it looked great.

Well that's been our projected blu-ray week

Some old screen shots

This is what The Martian looks like without the 3D glasses

I will really have to give the "film projectors" a run soon, they might feel left out.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1230519.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	78941
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1230520.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	78942
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280343.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	78943
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280301.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	78944
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280329.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	78945
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280309.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	78946
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280336.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	78947
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280340.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.5 KB ID:	78948
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280342.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	78949
                    Must not forget this one Click image for larger version  Name:	P1270901.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.4 KB ID:	78950

Comment

• Last night.... "The Bridge on the River Kwai" one of my favorite movies from the past, projected using the Epson VP.

Tonight.... It was something a bit different "The Wrath Of Khan" again using the Epson, Excellent picture and Dolby Digital 5:1 includes EX if you have rear speakers. Picked up the Soundtrack CD last week, who remembers seeing this on the "BIG" screen
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1330447.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	79115
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1330448.jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.8 KB ID:	79116
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1330449.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	79117
                      Last edited by Graham Ritchie; April 26, 2023, 03:14 AM.

Comment

• I wonder what "Kwai" looks like on Blu-ray? It's one of those few films that even in "restored" versions, still doesn't look all that great.

Comment

• I still have the 200 foot 8mm B&W silent extract of The Bridge on the River Kwai I got when I was a kid. I watched that print so much, it's now difficult to watch the whole movie. I see the 4k restoration UHD Bluray is available on Ebay for $16. The restoration got good reviews, but noted that the credits section and many of the special effects suffer from over-duplication, but the majority of the film looks fantastic.

The Wrath Of Khan remains the most popular Star Trek movie (with the original cast). I have the bluray, but not the 4k restoration, which apparently is pretty good:

Paramount brings Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan to the UHD format with a 2160p/Dolby Vision presentation. The UHD's superiority (compared to the 2016 remastered Blu-ray, which Paramount has concurrently re-released in new packaging) ​is in evidence even as the film begins, with the blue titles appearing over the starfield. The blue letters are brighter, more vivid, fuller, more satisfying, playing against stars which appear more brightly white and black space that has the look of more intensely deep and absorbing true black. It's a terrific opening that portends great things for the image to come. The UHD is significantly brighter than the remastered Blu-ray. The Dolby Vision grading brings a new level of pop and sophistication to the palette. Look at the first truly well-lit scene in the movie when Spock and Kirk discuss A Tale of Two Cities at the 8:30 mark. Creamy white accents on the uniforms stand out, the main red appointments dazzle with newfound intensity and boldness, and the image is, overall, much brighter. Skin tones are likewise heathier (even if Spock still looks a little gray). That's the story with the Dolby Vision grading throughout: superior white balance and black level depth, punchier (yet still faithful) primaries, and an overall brightness increase without altering the film's dramatic tone.
                          Full review: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-...lu-ray/153729/

Comment

• Its been years since I last watched "Forever Young" so screened our old DVD last night, its even got an aircraft in it, nice shots of a B-25. I did check if it was ever was released in blu-ray and its not. I did read somewhere that Warner Bros stopped releasing there films on blu-ray and possibly DVD in favour of streaming of the internet, which is a shame, so if you have the DVD hang on to it. I wonder if there is a 35mm print floating around mmmm

From last night. good ole family entertainment,

Name:	P1330454.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	79243

Name:	P1330455.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	79244

Name:	P1330452.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	79245

Name:	P1330458.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	79246

Name:	P1330459.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	79247

Name:	P1330462.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	79248

Name:	P1330460.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	79249

Name:	P1330465.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	79250

Name:	P1330464.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	79251

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                              Its been years since I last watched "Forever Young" so screened our old DVD last night... I did check if it was ever was released in blu-ray and its not. I did read somewhere that Warner Bros stopped releasing there films on blu-ray and possibly DVD in favour of streaming of the internet, which is a shame, so if you have the DVD hang on to it. ...
                              That is sad news about WB stopping the on-demand manufacturing of discs. I have a few gems on disc that never made it to general release. Oddly enough WB did release Forever Young on Bluray, but I only found this on Etsy:

Name:	forever young.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	79255

Take a look at: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1162603...c67e851e7d03cc 437da09%3A1162603131&click_sum=adaf1d38&ref=hp_rv-1&sts=1

It looks like several people ordered it, but the page states, "Only 2 available and it's in 6 people's carts​"

Comment

• Ed, I had a look at your link, it does seem a bit strange though. I do wonder if this is a genuine W/B release. This is the cover of my old DVD from 1999, its very similar. The blu-ray cover shown has been altered from the same source.

I might be wrong, but something does not quite add up, have you come across any blu-ray reviews of it?

Name:	P1330467.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	79374

Name:	P1330468.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	79375

Name:	P1330469.jpg