No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It been a while since I last watched 3D and I must say the 3D version tonight of Terminator 2 really looks fantastic.

A couple of quick screen shots when the 3D effect is not quite as strong at a couple of points, in general though, the 3D effects in Terminator 2 are very effective looking through the glasses
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160766.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	64931

Name:	P1160768.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	64932

Name:	P1290316.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	64933

Name:	P1290344.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	64934

Name:	P1290345.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	64935

Name:	P1290349.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	64936

Name:	P1290359.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	64937

Name:	P1290363.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	64938

Comment

• Ealing Comedies Lavender Hill Mob, Man in White Suit & Kind Hearts and Coronets. Nice restored versions of these classic comedies. Good price at £20 from Amazon. Click image for larger version

Name:	85B4B7DA-237E-4464-9D83-80A31C83B6D4.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	64943

Comment

• After a listen to the old LP the other day I thought I would watch "Stand By Me" last night. Its really a good movie, and projected it using the Epson VP. I understand its been released onto 4K.

A couple of screen shots below from last night

Name:	P1200522.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	65012

Name:	P1200521.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	65013

Name:	P1290457.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	65014

Name:	P1290459.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	65015

Name:	P1290371.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	65016

Name:	P1290372.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	65017

Name:	P1290383.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	65018

Name:	P1290391.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	65019

Name:	P1290413.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	65020

Name:	P1290418.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	65021

Comment

• Excellent movie! I always remember the Dreyfuss line at the end of the movie:

I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

Comment

• "What are you gonna do? -shoot us all?"
            "No, Ace...Just you."

Comment

• Introduced my youngest grandson aged 3 to my cinema with Paul McCartneys music and animation collection. Tropic island hum, Tuesday, and We all stand together. He loved them and wanted more. The animation method used was the one Disney studios used to use I.E. overlaid cells shot with a multi plane camera. We all stand together is better known as Rupert and the fro song! All 3 films were award winners and directed by Geoff Dunbar. Ken Finch.😀

Comment

• It’s been a while, Joe Pesci’s performance really is something, still blows my mind after all these years.

Comment

• Last night it was once again this one, "The Forger" John Travolta as "Ray", Christopher Plummer as "Joseph" as his father, and Tye Sheridan as "Will" are outstanding in this movie. The one thing that does get to you is the final moments near the end, between Ray and his son, not much is said, but just the "looks" from both tells it all, The last scene in particular, as Ray looks out to sea as the life of his son is coming to the end, and there is nothing he "Ray" can do about it, really does get you.

The Forger is an excellent movie, with a good script and acting by all concerned

Name:	P1190809.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	65124

Name:	P1190810.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	65125

Comment

• The Ealing studios Collection series are really good value. There have been 10 volumes so far and some include films which were available on 9.5 mm sound, and silent versions from Pathescope. It is interesting to see what was edited out in the 9.5 versions. In many cases it did not appear to detract from the main plot of the film. Ken Finch.

Comment

• Picked up a couple of second hand blu-rays the other day one being the 4K, plus the blu-ray and included a bonus disc, so just could not help myself getting it, even though as yet we don't have a 4K projector.

I did run a 35mm reel of more bits and pieces the other night with one trailer being Black Hawk Down, full frame and flat, just the thing .

Anyway last night I did screen the blu-ray disc that came with the 4K using the Epson VP. Interesting enough even though its now been 20 years I remember screening it at the cinema. It would certainly be nice to get a 35mm print of this feature, but will have to do with the blu-ray instead.

Highly recommend this movie.

Name:	P1290468.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	65182

Name:	P1290469.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	65183

Comment

• Hi Graham. I have noticed that this is the 2nd disc mentioned that is a 4k and blu ray. Is this indicating the end of the DVD player? What a waste. Why do we need 4 k for th size of pictures on ate or mobile phone? Ken Finch.

Comment

• It isn't the 4k that people go for mainly but the High Dynamic Range that goes with the format. That's what makes it more like real film.

Comment

• Eventually nobody will be making DVD players, or Bluray players. They will all make UHD players that play all formats (DVD, Bluray, 3D). Ken's observation that 4k is overkill for many users is a valid point. However, for those of us who like to watch movies on a big screen, UHD gives us a picture that approaches the quality that we could only experience with large format film in the past. Film set the high standard that digital is now moving towards. It was not that long ago that those of us with film projectors correctly regarded 32" Color CRT TV's as primitive in comparison to our film technology.

Comment

• Ken

Regarding DVD players at present its best to buy a blu-ray player. Like the Pioneer BDP-180 just as an example I use, which can play all DVDs, Region "O" DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, and so on Blue ray discs both on 2D or 3D, CD music etc. Connected to the Epson VP it will play basically anything you throw at it, likewise the Epson can project anything coming from it.

These days you can still pick up just a DVD player real cheap, but is you want to watch an image larger than mobile phone and get a quality image, then blu-ray is the way to go, 4K even better. I cant even imagine someone watching a movie like "JAWS" on a phone, not quite the same .

Video projection has come all long way, I myself don't have the up to date latest technology, that's for sure, but what I do have, is the closest thing to going to the cinema I can get. With the blu-ray you can also sit close to the screen, because in most cases the image is much better than DVD to watch.

DVD still has its place though, and I still project them but if its a movie I really like and is out on blu-ray I will buy that instead.

This was South Pacific the other night, stunning color

Name:	P1270448.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	65222

Name:	P1270449.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	65223

Comment

• Ken

Regarding DVD players at present its best to buy a blu-ray player. Like the Pioneer BDP-180 just as an example I use, which can play all DVDs, Region "O" DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, and so on Blue ray discs both on 2D or 3D, CD music etc. Connected to the Epson VP it will play basically anything you throw at it, likewise the Epson can project anything coming from it.

These days you can still pick up just a DVD player real cheap, but is you want to watch an image larger than mobile phone and get a quality image, then blu-ray is the way to go, 4K even better. I cant even imagine someone watching a movie like "JAWS" on a phone, not quite the same .

Video projection has come all long way, I myself don't have the up to date latest technology, that's for sure, but what I do have, is the closest thing to going to the cinema I can get. With the blu-ray you can also sit close to the screen, because in most cases the image is much better than DVD to watch.

DVD still has its place though, and I still project them but if its a movie I really like and is out on blu-ray I will buy that instead.

This was South Pacific the other night, stunning color

Name:	P1270448.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	65221

Name:	P1270449.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	65224

Comment

Working...