What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
    Last night being Saturday, I thought it would make a nice change to watch a western, and what better than "The Magnificent Seven" with the brilliant Elmer Bernstein score.

Although this is the 50th anniversary edition, its now been 62 years since its cinema release, how time flies.
    Click image for larger version Name:	P1310705.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	70937
    Click image for larger version Name:	P1310706.jpg Views:	0 Size:	239.6 KB ID:	70938
    Click image for larger version Name:	P1310707.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	70939

Funny , Magnificent Seven is one of those movies we all grew up with from childhood. It is iconic and very much unappreciated but it is one of those movies were everything clicked. The film score, the cast, the editing the format plus a great version of a western. On the 8mm front the 2x400 digest was one of the best edits ever. It flowed superbly had the best portions and scenes from the film. Actually far too good a bit like mini feature Robin Hood when you watched it you thought the full feature was actually dragging.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post
      Bad Day at Black Rock was an early CinemaScope production from MGM and the opening with the train was structured to show off the wide screen. It's a great mystery set in a small town which is is hiding something.

I would also recommend it. It is available to stream on Youtube, but if you have a video projector, get the Bluray!

Bad Day at Black Rock 1955 title sequence​

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK - (1955) HD Trailer

I have the HMV Premium Blu Ray and DVD which comes with collector cards. I would suspect it is identical as I think HMV are in partnership with some companies. Superb film and print. A steal at £9.99 or two for £15.00

https://hmv.com/store/film-tv/blu-ra...e)-the-premium

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEAB3120-36ED-445E-AE4E-DD633670516C.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	70965

Comment

• The Blu-ray edition of Magnificent Seven is certainly a jump up from previous editions, ( I still have my letterboxed laserdisc ), but it could certainly be improved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
          The Blu-ray edition of Magnificent Seven is certainly a jump up from previous editions, ( I still have my letterboxed laserdisc ), but it could certainly be improved.
          I waited to buy this Blu ray as I had the DVD and you could have recorded a better version of the television. Still not perfect but much better upgrade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post

I waited to buy this Blu ray as I had the DVD and you could have recorded a better version of the television. Still not perfect but much better upgrade.
            The 4K UHD version of The Magnificent Seven (1960) was released this month by Shout! Factory. I did not find any reviews of it yet. Amazon is selling it for about $30.

Name:	magnificent7uhd.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	70976

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

The 4K UHD version of The Magnificent Seven (1960) was released this month by Shout! Factory. I did not find any reviews of it yet. Amazon is selling it for about $30.

Name:	magnificent7uhd.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	70976
              Hasnt arrived yet here Ed only the remake is out on 4K less said about it the better. 😂 Will keep it in mind price is bound to fall after a while.

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post

Hasnt arrived yet here Ed only the remake is out on 4K less said about it the better. 😂 Will keep it in mind price is bound to fall after a while.

Mike
                It is currently in the "pre-order" stage, and Shout Factory gives February 21, 2023 as the official release date. I will wait for used ones to show up on Ebay.

I have seen the 2016 Magnificent Seven - once and never again. Generally speaking, I dislike remakes, so it's ironic that I prefer the 1960 Magnificent Seven, which is a remake itself.

Comment

• Last night

Name:	TheLostWorld_BackyardDino.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	71107

Comment

• Last night some more of my Dr Who series 2 box set which has a total of 40 episodes. Yes a Blu Ray of a 405 line TV series which had it's master tapes erased and has been restored from surviving 16mm film telerecordings!

Comment

• We all know that Sir Edmund and Tenzing Norgay were the first to reach the top of Mt Everest back in 1953, but how many of us know the remarkable story behind it?, I didn't, until I watched this film last night. The film makers have done a remarkable job with "Beyond The Edge" If there is one blu-ray or DVD that deserves to be on your watch list, then this one certainly is it.

Highly recommend "Beyond The Edge".
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310742.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.3 KB ID:	71228
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310743.jpg Views:	0 Size:	236.6 KB ID:	71229

Comment

• This one tonight using the Epson VP, excellent New Zealand film and fun to watch .

Name:	P1170178.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	71720

Comment

• Graham,

I saw this when it was first released in theaters and enjoyed it immensely. Wilderpeople prompted me to keep an eye out for other Taika Waititi films.

Comment

• I like that "some scenes may disturb young children"!

Obviously whoever wrote that has no memory of being a young kid! I remember being young and all the awful details of life were downright fascinating to me! (...this may apply more to little boys than little girls...at least on average!)

Nooooo! What that needs to say is "some scenes may disturb parents of young children"

-let's face it: there is just some conversation you don't want coming out of your Kindergartener at dinner at Grandma's house three weeks later!

(THAT they'll remember!)

Comment

• Doug, remember in the film they both took of in what they called a Crumpy, well that's a reference to Barry Crump red Hilux TV ad from the 1980s. It was so popular Toyota made a few more for TV back then.

Comment

• Its New Years Eve at the moment and with only a about 3hrs until midnight, I have just finished watching this blu-ray on the Epson .

Screen shots from one of my previous screenings

Name:	P1170183.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	71858

Name:	P1170185.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	71859