This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve

Just a thought regarding your brother in law, is it possible he might have ben infected with the virus before taking the vaccine? I know with the usual yearly flu vaccine, it needs to be taken two weeks before getting infected for the vaccine to work.

Regarding yourself I think you are in a bit of a catch 22 situation, as you already been exposed to the original virus and your immunity won the battle, however, this is where things get might get tricky. Taking the vaccine after your own immunity has done its job, is there a chance taking the vaccine throws a spanner in the works, sort of speak. Another thing, will your immunity work the same for the UK or Brazil strains, as its done for the original one?

Whatever road you choose, its best to research all the medical advice around, so you can make the decision, hopefully taking the vaccine won't be a problem.

Comment

• It appears that the UK Government is considering giving a Covid-19 jab each autumn for the over 70s as they have their winter flu jab.

Comment

• Good news for travelers between Australia and New Zealand "bubble". The first flights started today without the need to Quarantine on the return to NZ. After a year of restrictions on travel, its good news between the two countries, hope it stays that way. The Pacific Islands hopefully will be next. As far as the vaccine in NZ I think that will be in the coming months, so far and its now been a while now, there has been no community transmission. Australia has also done a pretty good job regarding the spread of the virus as well, so we are hopefully now both heading in the right direction.

Comment

• Well, my wifey and I had our second moderna vaccine! Of course, there may be a need for a booster sometime down the line, but we're done for the moment.

Comment

• Due to the South African variant being found near me I was advised to take a test, which I did this morning. The test was easy, but registering for the result was a pain. It actually seems that if you don't have a mobile phone number it won't let you finish the registration even if you have given an email address!!!! As I never remember mine I tried to get past that stage but couldn't and had to get my contact number book out to finish.

Comment

• Got a text from our local GP yesterday for our first jab coming sometime between the end of July and September. In saying that its been fortunate NZ has been free of the virus for a while now, so there has not been a rush here to get the vaccine, down mostly to the strict measures that were put in place last year, which I should add have been removed for quite a while now, only in overseas travel are there still any real restrictions. Although in saying that its never a good idea to take things for granted.

Comment

• Here's hoping that you don't get any of the Delta variant there as in Australia, where low vaccination rates are causing major "lockdowns".

Comment

• So true Brian there was one case of a visitor from Sydney last weekend who even though had received the vaccine in Australia "I think it was the first jab" later became unwell with the Delta variant just before returning to Australia. So far all the tests of people that he came in contact with while here over that weekend here have come back negative, but its only the passing of the next few weeks will tell if we have ducked the bullet. The danger is not just to NZ but other Pacific nations that NZ has close ties with as well. The roll out of the vaccine has been slow due to supply as other countries have been in greater need for getting it first.

Comment

• All I can add is I wouldn't want to go thru it again laying in bed gasping for air debating if it was better to stay at home or chance telephoning a ambulance and casualty for a respirator at the time full of Covid victims. Luckily at the time I made the right choice.

After effects still linger regretfully but the consultant said 'In an few years you never know lasting symptoms may ease' Cheery. A top tip. If you get the bad end of it you do need to really push your brain, body and challenge it. Be possessive and determined and you will see it out.

I guess I can get away with mentioning the C word. As a Christian its been a blessing for that support in those dark times then watching your wife go thru the same thing catching it from you and very much a double whammy. The guilt was astronomical passing it on but as they say you need to have been there to feel it.... Neighbors leaving food parcels on your doorstep when we couldn't go out, bottles of milk and a small child waving at the window.

Keep safe and just get the jab as soon as you are offered it as I wouldn't want anyone to go thru what both of us did leaving a after effect.

Comment

• Post Removed.
                      Last edited by Rob Young; July 10, 2021, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• I'm glad you chose to stay home gasping, so to speak, as, if in the hospital, with all those other infected people, you might get a variant on top of what you already had, and that would have been far worse.

Comment

• Thankfully I think Lee contracted the virus before the variants happened, or at least were not wide-spread in the UK.

Comment

• Well the middle next month us oldies ie over 65, will start to get the first jab, followed by the end of August with the second one. We certainly have been very fortunate here. The only requirement in getting the jab I was told, is to wear a mask when you get there, other than that its pretty straight forward.

I don't think NZ borders are going to open up to soon with some countries like the US and in particular the UK, as there does seem to be a concern growing here, that not enough people there have taken the vaccine, which according to some experts can increase the possibility of a vaccine resistant variant getting a hold. I hope not but I guess only time will tell.

Comment

• I believe as of this morning the UK figure for fully vaccinated ADULTS is about 68% and single rate in the 80% range. However it is not consistent around the country, which is worrying.

Comment

• The bubble with Aussie just popped due to the increase of cases there. New Zealanders in Australia have however seven days to get home before travel restrictions take place. Its a pity that this has happened, but its always been on the cards. However as the roll out of the vaccine will continue in the coming months in NZ, things will improve, as at moment vaccine supply has been given to only those who are at greater health risk, as for the rest of us ,well its coming .
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	206069092_127976126187080_1756803890016610687_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	39205

Comment

Working...
                                X