8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 101)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3. I like your comparison to Jurassic Park. It's true that dinosaurs eat each other, but there is only one scene where the T-Rex eats a human. Even that scene has a hint of comedy when a man relieving himself on the pot is swallowed by a T-Rex. So, I feel there is a difference.
Correction: The man the T-Rex eats is NOT relieving himself. He ran into the outhouse out of fear of the T-Rex.

When the Rex knocks over the outhouse, you can clearly see the man's pants are up and the lid down. He's scared, just not THAT scared! [Wink]

Anyway, this afternoon was a premiere of my latest 16mm purchase: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF GRIZZLY ADAMS.

This is the original 1974 feature. It is in good condition with good to fair color, some scratches and splices and good contrast and sharpness.

A truly fun movie they don't make anymore!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 22, 2012 11:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I gave the GS another run with a 1200ft reel

Mr Bean intro "what not to do in a cinema" [Smile]
followed by stunning Derann print of 1934 "Grasshopper and the Ants", Look at Life from 1962 "The Last Battleship", Tom and Jerry in "Tee for Two", another stunning colour print from Derann of 1950 "Motor Mania", last on that reel Walton "Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway" I think this film was made in 1977, nice colour print.

Well thats the 1200 footer, next was "Once Upon A Mouse" I must add that I bought this from the Derann second hand list with not so good sound. Years later I contacted Gary at Derann and asked if they could re-record the sound and I was willing to pay for it. Well I sent the film to them and weeks later it came back with an excellent sound track. Derann not only recorded for free but paid for the postage back as well...you cant get better service than that. [Smile]

Well sorry no films tonight but its "Aliens" on the "VP" [Cool]

Graham.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2012 09:23 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it is time to watch tonight the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK super 8 color sound 400 foot digest. The color is a little faded but white snow is good contrast to the warming of the colors. Some of the film is not to bad and when it is the size of your wall at home it looks pretty good. It is nice and sharp in a few places. I still never get tired of watching my digests and seeing STAR WARS. May the Force be with you!  -
 -
 -

-
 -

-
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2012 11:22 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched my own two-part ESB digest last night, both with great color. Before that we watched the 1915 film, "Those College Girls."

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 28, 2012 03:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched some of the 3D home movies I shot during the early 80’s filmed with the anaglyph unit which I had constructed from scratch. Quite amazing to watch family films in 3D and you could almost imagine being there at that moment as we all bounced out of the screen. Being filmed on Kodachrome the footage was as good as the day it was shot and quite a night. We ended the show with a Collectors Club film ‘Dreamhouse’ singing along with Bing Crosby ‘When I take my sugar to tea’. Nice evening.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 29, 2012 12:48 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I'm going to watch one of my favorite digest 400" reels LOGANS RUN This is one of the best super 8 edites. And it has beautiful Jenny Agutter in it. This film still has some good color and contrast. It looks good on a big screen and the sound is good. One of the GREATEST of the MGM 400 foot digests! And James N. Savage 3 agrees with me in his review he said .....

Back in the late 70's, when MGM unleashed thier first 12 digests, I was mortified when I discovered that there were no horror movies in the line-up! Me, being 15 years old and all. I was in the camera store, looking at those new "fancy" boxes, thinking, "I've just got to get something, I love those fancy boxes". I saw "Logan's Run" on the shelf. The box was VERY cool, using the original artwork from the movie poster (unlike most of the other MGM titles). It was Sci-Fi, so that was close enough to horror, so I bought it (even though I hadnt seen the movie before). I spooled it up, ran it for the first time, with some of my school friends over. This digest instantly became my favorite! And my teen friend's favorite too.

It had-

-Action
-Nudity
-Violence
-Nudity
-Farrah Faucette
-Did I say Nudity???

We were 15 years old, for crying out loud!

LOGAN'S RUN
400 foot; 18 minutes.
 -

-

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 29, 2012 02:09 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could not agree more, I bought it new when it came out, also watched it on its cinema release "thats going back a bit"

It was a thrill back then to own "Logans Run" I dont own a copy anymore selling it years ago was a mistake. Derann did release the full Kempski/Scope feature on 4/600ft reels. It would have been nice to own a copy, but money wise out of my reach [Frown]

I would like to add that this film has lasted well since 1976, in the sense it has not aged and still popular. Last year I was asked by the teens at work about putting on this particular title. It was on Blu-ray and projected on a VP, but to my surprise they really enjoyed it so it has stood the test of time very well.

Its great to see Farrah Fawcett again plus Jenny Agutter,good cast [Cool] if I ever come across another Super8 copy locally I would buy it for old time sake.

Graham. [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 29, 2012 09:29 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Snow Goose" on 16mm running time about one hour made in 1971 and starring Richard Harris and a very young Jenny Agutter.

I understand that to date no official video or dvd of this movie has ever been released which is a bit of a surprise, anyway glad to have a nice print with no scratches or splices and runs very smoothly through the projector. It does have a little bit of fade though, however I think copies of this film might be a bit rare so am just pleased just to have it. With a running time of an hour its a nice film to watch every so often.
 -

-

-

-

-

Graham

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2012 04:25 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I showed on super 8...

the dapper dalmation
three little pigs
pic 'n' mix (old adds and trailers)
blitz wolf
dumbo the flying elephant
starwars (400ft)
dracula 1980 (2x400)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 03, 2012 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done on those screen captures from that Richard Harris film from the early 70's. I have always admired Richard Harris as an actor and a person!

I can verify that the Kempski/Derann "Logan's Run" feature is top notch, as I own a copy. Sadly saome of the special effects haven't aged well, (as in the beginning shots of the city, which look obviously fake, even back then.

For me, it's fun to do a comparison of STAR WARS and Logans Run. It's amazing just how big of a jump in special effects was made in just that one year from "Old Hollywood effects" (which could be really hit or miss) to "New Hollywood", STAR WARS and beyond, (though it should be noted that "2001: A Space Oddity" (snicker) looked great for it's time).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2012 08:26 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham for the shots of Jenny. She was in another old movie filmed in Australia called the WALKABOUT she was just about 12 years old or 13 . This was the first time I ever saw her in a movie . Do you or Osi know if it is on super 8 or DVD ? I would really like to have it it was her and some little local boy trying to go through the Outback.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 05, 2012 10:21 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its avaliable from "Amazon.com" on DVD "The Criterion Collection" and Blu-ray.

Graham.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2012 03:16 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been awhile since we have been working with our new dog Rocco who has some behavioral problems, but tonight we all sat down for a 16mm movie show...It started with one of my favorites, Patsy Kelly in Sing, Sister, Sing (1935 1 x 800ft) This is a hilarious short but sadly I think all of the copies floating around are quite soft in focus. The feature for tonight was a Warren Hymer crime comedy called Sea Racketeers (1937, 2 x 1200ft). Typical of B-pictures of this time it never quite figured out what genre it wanted to be.. Comedy, Crime, Musical? Much like the Artist, the dog steals the show...

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2012 10:28 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday afternoon:

1776: 4x1600'
Pan & Scan 16mm TV print. Eastman stock but still holding it's color VERY well! Missing some footage at end of reel 2/start of reel 3. Not bad condition overall.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ March 13, 2012, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Thomas Murin, Jr. ]

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Night I watched super 8 of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad 600" reel that is a combo of the smaller reels . It was edited very good with nice contrast and still good color. I love this movie it is the best of the Sinbad movies that Ray Harryhausen did. And is a real classic .  -

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2012 01:18 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

I had no idea 1776 was on super 8. It's one of my favorite musicals. Your copy looks fantastic for Eastman. Who released it and where did you get it?

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2012 11:47 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, my 1776 is on 16mm, not Super 8mm.

Sorry for the confusion. I have edited the post to add this info.

Yes, it IS Eastman. I have a few Eastman prints that are holding their color for whatever reasons.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 13, 2012 01:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Laksmi! Excellent colors on that 600ft reel of yours. From what I've heard, this series of 200ft reels tends to have fading colors, but yours look as good as the day they were printed!

Are all three or fours of those digests the same in color quality?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2012 01:06 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Osi some are good and some have a little more fade but you don't really notice the change that much.I picked out the best shots. But all and all the color was good on my copies. I'm thankful because I love the movie. I will try to watch it and grab more shots .

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 15, 2012 02:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi you're not alone, on "Sinbad".Way back in '71 or72 when I
first acquired them imports from the USA,the first two reels
were red and even when replaced,were the same.I even changed
the supplier and the same problem was there.The other reels
were fine except these two and that was std 8mm.After some
persuading Derek finally released it having got a 35mm copy
from a well known reviewer,and good colour was restored to the
very effective Cyclops entry.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 15, 2012 03:09 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, so during the 8mm heydey buyer could change the reel with that very reason (color is not good or red). Woow....

Yes Lakshmi, your color is good. Very rare.

Regarding Eastman, don't forget gentlemen that in the beginning 1980, Kodak introduce Eastman LPP that will hold the color.

--------------------
Winbert

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2012 12:16 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will try to post more clips of 7th Voyage of Sinbad and some are good and some are not. Anyway most of the print looks good and the color is good. I'm very happy and shocked at the condition . I love this Ray Harryhausen Classic. I will do a review as soon as I can.

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2012 03:08 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we watched Charlie Chan in "Meeting at Midnight". We were expecting a poor feature but were fairly surprised. Charlie Chan's wit kept us fairly interested to be honest.

-

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2012 09:48 AM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did one of my Scheck Family-Picture shows a few days ago. My wife and two kids (12 and 14 years old) attended and very much enjoyed the filcks I picked this time.
I started the program with the Charley Chase Short Long Fliv the King (400', b/w, sound), a very good Blackhawk print with a rather strange musical score. My kids cheered at Oliver Hardy, wearing a gigantic moustache playing the prime minister's crooked adjudant.
Next thing was a surprise film entitled For Your Pleasure featuring Glenn Miller and his orchestra made by Vintage Films. It turned out to be a very entertaining musical sequence from the feature film Orchestra Wives from 1942, featuring Glenn Miller and Orchestra, saxophone player Tex Beneke and the famous Nicholas Brothers (200'). Very good picture and sound quality, a pleasant surprise, because I had no idea what I would get when I bought this reel.
The last part of the show was another short, Calling All Girls made also in 1942 by Warner bros., featuring great moments from Busby Berkeley-Choreografies. My wife and kids were stunned by these highly artificial, beautifully staged musical sequences, which come to life in this beautiful, sharp Derann print.
I am always surprised by how much the kids like these old flicks!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2012 12:08 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay, great pics, Charlie Chan has always been one of those guilty pleasures..In some ways every movie is indistinguishable from the last, but yet i could watch them all the time...

In salute of its centennial, tonight I have no pictures because i hand cranked my very first 22mm Edison Home kinetoscope film. It was THE AMATEUR WILLIAM TELL (1909, #24 Category F, comedy). Given that the format only survived about 2 years it is pretty safe to say that the film and projector are essentially 100 years old each. The price of this film was $15 in 1912, which would comparatively be close to $400 in todays' monetary values. Clearly the format was for the well to do...I will be shooting some video in the next couple of days of me cranking away at a film...It is a flawed format, but not terrible..It is a fairly complex piece of machinery....

There were 3 different models (A, B, C) that were designed for projecting at different distances...If you look at the base down near the bottom right hand corner you can see that the one in this picture is marked as a Model "B" because the little marker is in the middle of the 3 choices...OH and "NO" I did not use the carbon arc tonight, I used a temporary halogen that I put inside the lamphouse..

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC