8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 194)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  191  192  193  194  195  196  197  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 21, 2016 10:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I took a break...

We had company last week which means I went to full non-cinema mode. Normally speaking this means I am up to at least one machine on the table before nightfall after the company has left, but this time I made the choice to leave it all stowed away for a week.

-just step back and do other things a few days...maybe gain some perspective.

Perspective ran out last night. ("Have you seen my mixer?")

What a production: projectors, line cords, takeup reels, mixer, cables, accessories such as the artist's brush I clean the gates and paths with! It wasn't stored in any sane manner, so it took some searching to round it all up again! Last night I just hooked it up and made sure sound was coming out wherever it was supposed to.

(If I put it away for a month I'd probably need to BUY it all again!)

So tonight I blundered down to the shelves and grabbed whatever hit my mood: -turned out to be Derann Fantasia extracts.

The first was "Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor". It was supposed to be "The Nutcracker Suite", but that's what happens when you show a bunch of reels and aren't careful what goes back in the boxes! Then came "Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony" and finally "The Nutcracker Suite" showed up as an attempt to recover!

I've always had a regret about these. The first two showed up from Derann just a few days before my Dad died about a dozen years ago. He loved classical music and took me to see the Feature when it was re-released when I was maybe ten years old. Had he lived a few months longer I'm sure I would have shown him these, but fate intervened and it never happened.

I was later able to restore a set of his speakers and today they sit under my screen. My Mom loved the idea!

-something different happened tonight.

I'm kind of a bug on how my sound tracks sound. I tend to go back to the mixer and massage the settings and dial it in. When things go badly, it becomes a matter of meters, screwdrivers and soldering irons. It really bothers me when it isn't right.

Something sounded...different in ways I could not define right away. It wasn't hum or wow or flutter...there were just some tones in the tracks I hadn't heard before. For a brief moment my technical side said "OH,...NO!...what now?!"

All of a sudden I grasped that my son was in the room and was humming the music.

-this one's for you, Dad!

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 07:06 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not easy to write something in this thread after Steve's comments as it would look shallow but if we want to keep the shows reports...So, I screened The War Of The Worlds, a good digest (in French), I found it well edited. The colours are at 95 % still there, some sections show some red signs but most of the scenes are normal.

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 07:28 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, I have to agree with you. Steve writes some great posts.

Yesterday, I watched the 3x400ft Derann cutdown of the 1938 classic "The Adventures of Robin Hood". Unfortunately, the cutdown has faded red but it was actually my first time seeing the film. I remember someone mentioning in this forum that Derann could not put the scenes in the correct order. However, the editor of the film provided the key scenes that could be spliced together.

I would love to own a copy of the Red Fox feature.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 07:42 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, can you speak Japanese or are there Japanese websites in English where they sell films and cine material ? I guess it must be difficult to understand technical words in a language like Japanese.

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 08:52 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, I can speak Japanese. Unfortunately, there isn't many films to purchase here on 8mm.

A few weeks ago, I took part in a 16mm projector workshop here in Japan and learned a lot of new technical terms in Japanese. Luckily, a lot of the technical Japanese words for projectors parts are based on the English words. For example, exciter lamp is エクサイターランプ(ekusaita ranpu).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 28, 2016 08:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys!

The situation itself was great: I just reported it!

-one busted splice and you may never have heard about it at all!

Jason: I'd never have guessed you could type Japanese characters into this forum!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 29, 2016 03:36 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, you're the winner : you're the one who travelled the longest distance to Cinesea and you're more than probably the one among us who speaks the most exotic language !

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 30, 2016 03:24 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Far West 89 a digest (in French) that ends brutally ; they could have put another final scene (but otherwise the digest is not bad).

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2016 05:09 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last two reels (4&5) of The Secret of NIHM, bought at a Derann open day, it gives most of the plot as it starts with the description of the escape from NIHM. It has slight negative or wet gate trouble but on LPP stock and despite a few scratches showing still great picture quality.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2016 09:54 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night just a 200 footer, a Film Office print of the Popeye cartoon with French title cards but English soundtrack "Popeye Toreador". No idea of print stock as I couldn't see any edge markings but still very good colour.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 02, 2016 10:37 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I realized I hadn't projected 'scope since January, so I watched two of 'em.

The first was "Sounds of Arizona". This was one of my very first Derann prints. I've had it almost 15 years and it still looks and sounds spectacular.

-It starts with the full-throttle 20th Century Fox fanfare, just to let the audience know these aren't just "home movies".

DAT-DADADAAAAAA!!!! Etc.

-If I could program that into my alarm clock, I'd bet I'd have a good day!...not sure how my wife might feel about it!

The second was "No Hunting": a late Derann print and a great Disney 'scope cartoon.

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2016 03:53 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night
Sgt Swell of the Mounties ,the amazing and hilarious pixilated western spoof by Len Janson and Chuck Menville,who also plays the title role.A cartoony look at every western movie cliche and them some! What surprised me most is the fact that it was released in super 8 and...by Blackhawk! I don't remember having ever seen it in any lists,new or used, and here it was,in its original box,and retaining its colors beautifully! Years ago,I had found their earlier short Vicious Cycles which is a pixilated spoof of motorcycle gang movies,in a second hand list,white box,without any mention of the 8 mm production company in the leader. Does anybody know if their other shorts have been released for the home market?
Feature attraction for the night, My Boy an early Jackie Coogan from 1921, in five short snappy reels.In a role similar to The Kid,it is the story of an orphan immigrant who is adopted by a poor old captain but who really is the missing grandson of an old aristocrat.Plays fast running over the plot cliches and little Jackie ... is amazing and his talent shines through! In standard 8.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2016 06:08 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, the 400ft "Silver Streak" still looking quite good despite some (mainly colour even) fading and the Little Roquefort & Percy (Terrytoons upper class answer to Tom & Jerry?) Mouse which I bought at a convention for £3 which had slightly better colour.

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2016 09:08 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we watched a Blackhawk standard 8mm print of Helpmates. Pretty nice print, although a shade dark. In my opinion it is one of their best shorts.
 -
 -

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2016 02:44 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I screened the full feature of Hitchcocks PSYCHO, the Standard 8 release from Derann, after the Original "Hitchcock leads through the Hotel"-trailer on Super-8.
The feature has a very sharp image and also the sound is surprisingly good.
It has not the brilliance of the Blu-Ray, but who needs it? Hitchcocks masterpiece is working perfekt in Standard 8; Derann really did a good job here! Oh, how I miss Derann...
Pure cinema-magic.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 06, 2016 05:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not alone Oliver. [Frown]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2016 05:12 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just testing out a new support for my Kowa 8Z so ran "Shots of Vengeance" - Walton extract from Hannie Calder (almost all brown now but I paid only £3 for it) and about 150ft from Riddle of the Sands - great colour that I got in a swap for empty 200ft reels from Phil at CHC.
When I get the mount finished it will be a Scope feature that gets viewed next.

As I can't reply to myself here is an update. The support is not completely finished yet but can now be used with 800ft reels, so last night a viewed a test reel (5) of El Cid and a combination of part 1 of the 3 reel abridged version and the last but one reel of the feature (only one shot overlap) from Raise the Titanic (both LPP).
 -
 -

[ June 08, 2016, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Brian Fretwell ]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 08, 2016 05:42 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just watched the abridged Film Office version (in French) of The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (La grande farandole) with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. My copy has some lines but it was still enjoyable (and the sound is great).

--------------------
Dominique

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2016 05:54 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, I ran Laurel & Hardy in "Musical Moments", a Super 8 200' sound film by Walton. It had musical clips from "Swiss Miss", "Way Out West" and "The Music Box". I followed it up with a 200' family film shot in the early 1980s on Kodachrome. The colour was a joy to watch. My Eumig Mark S 710D ran very well and seemed to run more smoothly as time passed. Not bad for a £24 buy from eBay as part of a job lot including postage, a tripod, splicer, film cement and reels!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2016 12:29 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night the Derann 2x600 ft of Never Say Never Again on LPP. Great colour but has a scratch on the last half of the first reel (my fault). However good it seemed when released it is now obviously from an edited print not negative as later releases have spoilt us with higher quality.
I believe that at the time this was the only legal 8mm Bond print as not from the usual Bond franchise, it took a while to get the deal that led to the Goldfinger release.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 11, 2016 01:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd never know though Brian.
It is of stunning print quality, I have a copy myself that's absolutely like brand new.Not a mark on it.
I remember Ian saying when he sold it me, it was one of the best prints on 8mm he'd ever seen!
I can't disagree with him except to say, ultimately, I feel it is the animated Super 8mm prints such as the Disney range that put the very best images up on our screens for sharpness and overall print quality.
I haven't owned or seen one single live action film that quite comes up to the same standard of brilliance, not even ones from the very best negatives available.

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2016 03:18 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All true Andrew, to me it is just the extra contrast that makes it obvious, as I said we have been spoilt by all the Disneys.

Last night I continued going through my 'scope trailers (I'd forgotten how many I have. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Fiona Fullerton). Oliver, The Slipper & the Rose, Divine Madness, An Officer and a Gentleman all on a reel with ABC daysets and the short This is Pompeii. Followed by my last release bought new from Derann the Trailer to Hello Dolly, a rather blue print I got at the closing down open day, Ged agreed that the box price of £80 was an error and corrected it to £8.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2016 04:20 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I watched The Fog a mixture of the 600ft extract (on LPP) and part 2 from the feature (on AG3S). It seems the extract almost completely left out what was on the middle (?) of the feature so it edits in well. It also is not a bad match despite the digest being from an edited print (the release of this was delayed for months after the feature was out whilst a print was obtained) and different print stock. Highly entertaining despite not seeing Jamie Lee hitch-hiking, so that her introduction is in bed asking the guy's name.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 19, 2016 03:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night: "She Flies!" in 'scope. It's a great film: it uses he 'scope screen very effectively.

In the process I had to explain to my son that even though this was the first flight of the Concorde it actually has been retired for years: right around that time they also introduced the Boeing 747 and ultimately the business turned out not to be flying fast, but instead flying cheap.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 19, 2016 04:10 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice historic film there to own now Steve, and one no doubt, still having superb colour seeing as I remember this being a later Derann release if memory serves me correctly with this one? [Smile]

Treasure it Steve, as no doubt, I know you will do! [Wink]

Beautiful SS's there earlier Brian btw from EL Cid/ Raise The Titanic! [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  191  192  193  194  195  196  197  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC