8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 58)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 04:07 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know, Michael.
And thanks Peter. I wait for some detailed piece of news.
Ciao.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 08:22 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched the James Bond feature of Never Say Never Again on 16mm followed by the Police Academy 2 super 8 release on 2 x 600ft spools,both very nice prints...Mark.

[ January 11, 2010, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Mark Mander ]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 07, 2010 08:33 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really amazes me what people chose to put out on Super 8. In the case of Police Academy 2, it's probably better as a cutdown.

My Birthday Viewing!

A double Feature of the two films that shaped my life in my teen years!

STAR WARS Derann scope feature
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND scope feature

YAY!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 09:10 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belated happy birthday Osi, and a fine choice of viewing there.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 03:47 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little bit too late, but happy birthday to you, Osi

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 04:02 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought "Ferris Bueller" was the film that shaped you Americans [Wink]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 08, 2010 09:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, being that Ferris Beuller was issued in 1985 and our country came to be (officially) in 1776, not much of a chance of that. [Smile]

(do you have any idea how hard it is to loop up a projector when your snockered on Bailey's? The birthday film show will actually happen tonight!)

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 09:35 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Bueller, was that ever released on Super 8? I would love to have it [Big Grin]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 09:35 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you need to make your own Baileys, it's far cheaper and you can make it as strong as you like. PM me for the recipe.

Last night we had a great screening for friends, which we split into two halves:

Part 1: Academy ratio:
RSA screen adverts (Derann)
Roger Rabbit - Tummy Trouble (Derann)
Hostage (Clive Owen) - outstanding picture (CHC)

Part 2: Scope
CHC trailer reel
Terminator 2 motorbike sequence (Derann)
Gladiator extract (Derann)
Die Hard reel 4 (Derann)
Star Wars reel 2 (Derann)

It was an outstanding show and the friends we had round couldn't believe the quality from 8mm film. They're itching to come back and watch the full version of Star Wars now.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 08, 2010 09:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! Ferris Beuller was released as an optical sound feature. Very sharp and with a good booming mono sound. I used to have a copy when I first collected years ago. They pop up occasionally.

The PM function won't work for me, could you e-mail me the recipe?

--------------------

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 12:17 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recipe e-mailed. Enjoy!

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 05:02 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday afternoon:
Dances With Wolves (Theatrical Cut): Blu-Ray

Late Show:
Star Trek TNG: Encounter At Farpoint (Pilot): DVD

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 06:05 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see Bueller pop up sometime, would love to have that film!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 02:26 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tonight was a quickie - both for me and for the company that made it... [Razz]
This was a Christie short from the Confessions of a Chorus Girl series called Reckless Rosie (1929) starring Frances Lee 1 x 200ft standard 8. Sadly though it was one of the Hollywood Film cutdowns. They took most of the Christie 2 reelers and shortened them to 1 reel. This one probably didn't suffer too much. If you are familiar with film theories, this could easily be classified as "cinema of attractions" where the narrative is unimportant, this was purely exhibition for the viewers' benefit.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 09, 2010 08:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ThanX 4 the screenshots and your dedication to the silents Dino!

Of course, we all know that people get old, but I'm always fascinated by the older the silent is, seeing these young faces, and then seeing the person when they're in they're 80's - 90's.
I usually had a hard time recognizing the person after so many years. It kind of makes me wonder how I'll look at 80 and would I be recognizable by someone who knew me at 20.

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 06:18 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a bit of an Elvis night being the Kings Birthday,Blue Hawaii 400ft Super 8 followed by a 16mm print of Paradise Hawaiian Style..Mark  -

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 08:38 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we had an impromptu screening (me and the cat Cleo). Nothing on tv and the wife was hogging the computer with Farmville so I screened Meteor (3x400ft). It's a great action packed edit and the colours have held up very well, though I found the focus a little soft.

I'd forgotten how many famous faces appear in this film.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 07:02 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,

Based on your post, I was encouraged to watch my copy of Meteor {3X1200'). This is a very impressive movie digest. The colors on my copy, while looking a little reddish in a lot of scenes, still looks good. The focus is a little soft compared to what we are used to from Derann and C.H.C.; I would still highly recommend this to anyone lucky enough to find it on ebay. It is quite enjoyable and very well edited.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 10, 2010 08:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Western NIght ...

short subject ...

Two Gun Goofy (Walt Disney)

Feature

My Name is Nobody (4X400, scope) Terrence Hill/Henry Fonda A cut down (at 80 minutes) but very well edited, concentrating on the storyline instead of the comedy, though there's still a lot of it here. Only letdown ... it doesn't have that very well staged "Shave and a Haircut" scene, (which made up the first ten minutes or so). Still nice sharp image and beautiful in scope!

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 10:43 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fighting a cold so I took the day off from work today (Sunday). Been doing nothing this weekend but sitting on my butt watching movies.

Anyway, here's my weekend movies, all shown on the 80" screen via digital projection:

Friday:
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom : DVD

Stargate : The newly remastered 15 anniversary Blu-Ray which is magnificent in every way possible. Easily one of the best looking Blu-Rays in my collection. PQ as close to 35mm as you can get and audio so clear you feel like you are there! A WOW all the way!

Saturday:
The Secret Of NIMH : The director approved DVD which is as filmlike as you can get on DVD. The 2 channel surround encoded audio is surprisngly robust and enveloping. This and Stargate are showcases on how to properly remaster movies for home video.

The Transformers: The Movie : The original 1986 animated movie in full HD glory on Blu-Ray! This UK import is the best the movie has ever looked. The audio is regular DTS (not Master Audio) but sounds terrific! The bass from the title song alone was shaking my room!

Sunday:
Logan's Run : Another winner on Blu-Ray! A bit soft perhaps but that seems to be the original photography more than anything else. The audio is also not perfect as the dialogue sometimes wanders where it shouldn't but again, it seem to be the source that's at fault. Otherwise, this is a fine HD transfer of a great movie.

Predator : One of Arnold's finest! Many have complained about the quality of this Blu-Ray but I think it looks fantastic! Grain is intact, fine detail is amazing in some scenes (I just noticed Jesse Ventura has a small silver cross for an ear ring! Never saw that before!). The DTS-MA is very good but one needs to understand the surround channel is mono as it always has been. Still, the bass is deep, the room fills with sound and you can hear all the dialogue clearly. What more can you ask for?

Well, off to take a bunch of cold medicine and throw myself in bed as I go back to work tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get some 8mm screenings in next weekend!

BTW, Mark Mander, I have Paradise Hawaiian Style on Super 8mm. Judging from your screen shot, mine has better color even though it's on the dreaded Eastman stock, it hasn't turned red or faded. Hope it stays that way!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 10:54 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last nights screening was a 16mm feature of Three Men and a Little Lady...Mark.  -

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 12:50 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unforgiven,followed by Dances With Wolves extended edition,both dvd projections as i have yet to find a buyer for a slightly used Kidney to fund my Elmo purchase...
Regards
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 05:16 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
11th January 2010, Monday

Super 8 screening night with Richard Donner's LETHAL WEAPON (1987).

Very good optical sound print.
Screen shots as usual (finally back to my usual habits).

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

Big fun!
Equipment: Elmo GS 1200 #1; Elmo 1.1

--------------------

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,
your prints always look immaculate,top of the class [Wink]
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 05:23 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grazie Stewart [Wink] ! They don't always are, but thanks!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC