No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not tonight but last week with another screening of the feature "The Rescuers Down Under". It was the first brand new feature I bought from Derann many moons ago and still looks good, as with the stereo soundtrack. I did take a couple of screens shots of it last week. I have a few more Derann Disney features I need to watch again very soon.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140114.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	103328

Name:	P1380474.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	103329

Name:	P1380469.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	103330

Name:	P1380487.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	103331

Comment

• I only have reel one of this feature, but you are absolutely right about this release, beautiful color and pin sharp, as good as any 16mm print!

Comment

• Just watched the Disney Super 8 extract from 'Popeye' (1980) entitled 'Me Big Fight'. I never saw the full movie when it was released, but I heard it was pants. All the same, I figured that there must be 8 minutes worth of good stuff in there somewhere. The Super 8 extract was a sharp reminder of how bad pan and scan versions of scope films could be, with important parts of the action remaining out of frame. Shame they didn't letterbox it. Not very engaging at all. Most of the Disney extracts were fun and charming. Sadly not this one. Poor old Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall.

Comment

• recently found a lop of Japanese cartoons for cheap, so I've enjoyed cleaning them up a playing them!

This go around is LUPIN - Secrets of Mamo (1x200ft)

Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 6.26.26 PM.png
Views:	251
Size:	924.4 KB
ID:	103763

Comment

• Nice looking print, Lincoln!

From Walt Disney cinema a domicile​, I watched Concert à la Ferme​ (Farmyard Symphony) 1938.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Concert a la ferme.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.4 KB ID:	103769

Comment

• In Mark Williams' interview on The Humming Projector, he mentions one of his favorite digests. I hadn't watched it for awhile, so....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Phantasm front - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	103951

A lot of fun, but also a lot of fade.

Comment

• I have a bit of a confession to make.

Around March / April time this year I reached some sort of saturation point with super 8. I had been dabbling in it so frequently, I just could not absorb any more. I am not sure if it was the result of recovery from some surgery I had had at the beginning of March or what. So, I took the decision not to watch any super 8 for a while and see how I felt. It is the first time this has ever happened to me.
                I am so happy to tell you that in the last few days I have started to feel some severe withdrawal symptoms. In the interim I did actually purchase a film but not watched it. SO, this afternoon I cranked up the Sankyo 702 and had a very enjoyable time watching.........

1x 100' - 2001 - A Space Odyssey Trailer

5x 400' - The Cruel Sea - Jack Hawkins

What a tonic !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                  In Mark Williams' interview on The Humming Projector, he mentions one of his favorite digests. I hadn't watched it for awhile, so....

Click image for larger version Name:	Phantasm front - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	103951

A lot of fun, but also a lot of fade.

One of my very favorites that's also completely red! Maybe someone out there got lucky and still has a solid color digest.

Comment

• Last night after getting back from Cleethorpes a couple I bought from Phil. The Derann trailer for "Gone with the Wind" and a boxless "Merrie Melodie" (only title on reel) that turned out to be "Trip for Tat" Tweety and Sylvester Techno on Agfa so good colour. More to check tonight.

Comment

• Last night a Pink Panther cartoon (Agfa, great colour) "Pink on the Cob", a 1934 Movietone News of the year, Tweety & Sylvester in "Bad ole Putty Tat" (faded and pink) and "The Soup Song" from Snow White.
                      Slow progress due to checking and cleaning before projecting.

Comment

• Third night was railway themed, The Great Train Robbery (a collectors club print) and "Night Mail" both B&W and showing the age of the master material.
                        After that a pause before trying "The Quatermass Xperiment" 4x400ft.

Comment

• 3 nights in a row! Brian, you have quite a streak going. Don't stop!

Comment

• Hi Brian

I bought a copy of ""Night Mail" new from Derann many moons ago and agree the master material was not that great, however I still watch it every so often. The Walton print below has held its color really well over the years, and its another film I like to screen every so often.

Comment

• Hot weather and light evenings have put me back on viewing, but I did rewatch "Rabbit Seasoning" to check its colrour (faded but all stil there, blacks reddish) and check part one of "The Quatermass Experiment", that was on the title card despite the box spelling it Xperiment! It seems to be on real Agfa B&W stock.

Comment

• Just for a hoot, I decided to watch an optical feature I bought years ago, and was surprised to see that it still has good color, "Romance of a Horsethief", a quirky historical comedy starring Eli Wallach and Yul Brynner.

Comment

Working...
                                X