Alpine Rescue
    Eagles Nest
    Fire over London
    Jumping Jets
    Under your Feet
    Playing Trains
    Spirit of the Brooklands

-all really great short films.

Graham, "Spirit" is one I hope you have! By the time that film was made, Brooklands was a few decades past being a motor race track and was well established as a center of aircraft manufacturing. They show the early history starting with auto racing, talk about the race track closing during WW2 and how it never opened again, and then move on to the modern era of building jet aircraft: a really impressive machine shop cutting an aircraft bulkhead out of thick aluminum plate. They finish up with the prototype Vickers Super VC10 taking off on an early test flight.

-just strikes me as something you'd like!

(There are still a few on that list I regret not buying back when they were easy to get!)

Comment

• Hi Steve

Spirit of Brookland is one I also have, its really good. I am the same in looking back I should have got some more. I always liked those short films not only with L/L but Pathe News, one being special, in that it was one 200ft released onto a 400 foot reel "Pathe News review of 1965" signed by Bob Walker for the Derann 21 year Anniversary. Other ones from Derann picked up over the years were Gaumont British News. One Movietone reel, is a look behind the scenes of the film industry which includes an awards ceremony with Charles Chaplin plus vintage cameras and film equipment.

Jumping back to "Look At Life" The Last Battleship and Shopping For a Queen are also good ones. Derann really did have an extensive list of short films, ideal to go with the likes of a Tom And Jerry before the start of any feature.

Comment

• Reel Collector Favourites was so popular. Imax 70mm opener, Plan 9, Lampoons Xmas, Goldenfinger, STW's, Indy and Carry on screaming. Snappy sequence reel on a pretty full 200ft reel.

A little later REEL COLLECTOR HORRORS will be available 😎 by request.

Comment

• I watched NOTORIOUS with Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant last night! 2x1200ft reels through my ELMO ST-1200HD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240326_013422648.MP.webp
Views:	246
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	98432 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240326_013432933.MP.webp
Views:	233
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	98433 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240326_013442307.MP.webp
Views:	242
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	98434

Comment

• That's a good sharp print, with good contrast too!

Comment

• Monday night, Tuesday night and Tonight:

One of my favorite movies: When the North Wind Blows (6x400'). It's a little special if you are a film fan: it's basically non-existent in North America except on 8 and 16mm.

We do a lot of features with the video projector: the variety and quality are spectacular, but this week we decided to go all-film. It's kind of a tradition I have of watching a multi-reel feature in chapters for a couple of nights, so my son and I got together every night at 10PM and did two reels.

Comment

• Two Jerry Lewis cutdowns. Film Office's Le Dingue du Palace​ (The Bellboy), 250'.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bellhop1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.8 KB ID:	98681

Ken Films' Sailor Beware, 200'. Originally a silent release, I've striped it and added sound. The way this and other Ken Paramount digests are edited lead me to believe that there were plans to put these out with sound, but for some reason Ken decided to hold off till their next set of releases.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sailor Beware.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.2 KB ID:	98682

Comment

• Of course I had to screen EASTER PARADE. Judy Garland and Fred Astaires legendary performances will last forever

Comment

• And for me it had to be the 'scope Tom & Jerry "Happy go Ducky"!

Comment

• Tonight and its been a long while since I last watched this one, filmed on Wednesday November 20th 1963 "The Beatles Come To Town" bought new from Derann many moons ago. This is the flat version, I think it was also released in Scope. Excellent print as with the sound. "The Beatles Come To Town" is a real step back in time to the 1960s.

Comment

• I seem to remember there being problems getting good prints with the scope version so not many were made.

Comment

• Thanks Brian

Comment

• Quoting the words of that Four Seasons song December '63....... OH WHAT A NIGHT !!

I wasn't in my Man Cave this evening. Just like Kevin McCallister in the film, I was "Home Alone." My wife was on baby sitting duty 25 miles away, so I thought I would try something a little different.
                            Our bedroom is En Suite which means it has quite a long throw to the huge blank wall above the bed. This should be superb for a cinemascope night. Big huge wide picture, hopefully.
                            So, I set up the projector (Sankyo 702) on the projector stand in the (dry) bathroom, loaded a film up, fixed the lens on and away we go....
                            Oh Boy! A cinemascope image ten feet wide in my own home! Perfect! It was the nearest thing to a "proper" cinema experience I have ever had in my house. Fabulous!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240406_205147.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	99006

So, what did I watch ?

As you can imagine, the show went on until the early hours.

Remember...... these are ALL in cinemascope....

Scope55 / Carousel Trailer 1x 100' - A great way to start. The flat intro suddenly explodes into scope. Breathtaking.
                            Lawrence of Arabia Trailer 1x 100'
                            Oliver Trailer 1x 100' - Mark Lester
                            Close Encounters of The Third Kind Promo 1x 200' - includes an interview with Spielberg.
                            Summer Nights 1x 200' - From Grease
                            We've Got A Show 1x 200' - Cliff Richard extract from The Young Ones. My first screening of this one.
                            This Is Pompeii 1x 200' - A Derann short. Very soft focus I must say.
                            Movietone News 1x 200' - Featuring bridges and aircraft displays.
                            The Beatles Come To Town 1x 200' - The fab four in all their beetroot red cinemascopic glory !
                            Ben Hur 1x 400' - Just arrived on my doorstep the day before courtesy of a fellow forum member. I must say, this completely knocks the spots off the identical "flat" version. A good edit, too !
                            Summer Holiday 1x 400' - Cliff Richard again.
                            Escape To Athena 1x 400' - Roger Moore
                            Escape To Victory 1x 400' - Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, Bobby Moore and Pele.
                            Airport '75 1x 400'
                            Two Minute Warning 1x 400' - Charlton Heston again! Third time tonight !
                            The Sound of Music 1x 600' - Reel 4 of the feature, from the "ball" scene to the "picking blueberries" scene via "So Long,Farewell" and "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" plus intermission and music.

A perfect example of "when the cat's away, the mice will play!"

Comment

• Melvin,

What an excellent line up of scope films. It's good for the mice to get a chance to play (and project) every so often!

Comment

• We watched my new acquisition, "Rocketship", the first of the Flash Gordon features, put together from the first serial. The print was actually pretty good, being a "Niles" print, which could be very hit or miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X