What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stranger at the Gate | 2023 Oscar-Nominated Short

A former Marine with P.T.S.D. planned to attack Muslims in Indiana—until an unexpected encounter with faith. Joshua Seftel’s documentary “Stranger at the Gate” tells the story. "Stranger at the Gate" is nominated for Best Documentary Short at the 2023 Academy Awards.​
    A simple story of a retired soldier dealing with the trauma of war and an all-consuming hate which motivates him to bomb a local mosque, until he walks into the mosque to case his target. No politics, religion, or lecturing here, which makes this documentary all the more satisfying.

Below is the full documentary (30 mnutes).

Comment

• Two nights ago it was again the German blu-ray import of "The Great Waldo Pepper" This is one movie I hope will some day get the full restoration done to it, it really deserves it. I was fortunate a few years back to find the LP soundtrack in excellent condition. They don't make films like this anymore, which is a pity, great cast, great story, great stunt flying, great music..
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090938.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	76139

Name:	P1100385.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	76140

Name:	P1100386.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	76141

Name:	P1100388.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	76142

Name:	P1100389.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	76143

Comment

• The second of the three tonight "Chicken Run" and I must add the picture quality is really excellent.

Name:	P1320861.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	76296

Comment

• Hansel and Gretel The Witch hunters. Definitely different. Good show but gory.

Name:	A031A703-AE96-4F56-9D28-4B5B54056C6D.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	76350

Comment

• Last night JAWS on blu-ray using the Panasonic VP, Tonight JAWS 2 again using the Panasonic

JAWS one still stands out, however JAWS 2 was not a bad follow on, JAWS 3 well I have never watched it. Its amazing to think of all the years have past, many of the original cast sadly are no longer with us. When I was last at the cinema, which I should add this place has the best Scope screen in town I mentioned to the owner who I know on my way out, "now" when are you going to show JAWS on your Scope screen? I also added, I would come being more of an art house set up I don't think that will happen, but you never know, I still hope JAWS gets the 3D blu-ray release, now we would be talking, as with the Epson I am set up for it

Bottom link is poor Brody not having a good day the second time around in JAWS 2 Oh! I nearly forgot the blu-ray quality on JAWS 2 is pretty good to.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	76563

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220653.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.2 KB ID:	76564
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220757.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	76565

Comment

• Although not a blu-ray below, this would have been the last film I saw actor Roy Scheider in. I cant remember if "Blue Thunder" came out, before or after 2010, "Blue Thunder" was another good one I saw at the cinema, now also out on blu-ray.

Comment

• Major Dundee extended version. Cleaned up print with new music score. It does flow better and is an improvement on the existing versions. Do miss the old soundtrack 🥲 Running time is 2 hours and 15 minutes. The old 8mm 400ft version was a classic.

Restored scenes are listed below. These include both brief inserts and additions to existing scenes, as well as four major scenes restored to the film.
                • Ryan plays "Taps" as soldiers bury the victims of the massacre.
                • After Dundee, Potts, and the other Union troopers survey the massacre at the Rostes Ranch, Tyreen and his Confederates attempt to escape through a mountain stream. They are trapped by troops from the fort and Dundee's command. The next scene shows Dundee announcing to the fort's prisoners his need for volunteers. The scene introduces the character of Tyreen, who is only awkwardly introduced in the theatrical version, and provides the reason why he and his men are to hang later in the film (they killed a guard during their escape attempt).
                • Tyreen's men refuse to wear the Union jackets provided to them by Dundee.
                • Children watch Dundee's expedition leaving Fort Benlin.
                • The wrestling match between Potts and the scout Riago is much longer, with Dundee chiding Potts because the artillery bet on him.
                • Paco, one of Potts' Indian scouts, is killed by Apaches before the river ambush.
                • The fiesta scene in the Mexican village is longer, with Potts leering at a pretty girl, who snubs him (which would have led to the knife fight scene detailed below), and Teresa trying to comfort a crying baby.
                • Dundee recovers from his leg wound in Durango, while being tended to by Melinche (Aurora Clavell), eventually falling in love with her.
                • Dundee and his officers – Tyreen, Potts, Lt. Graham, and Sgt. Gomez – find an Apache trail marker, and then debate strategy on how to fight Charriba. At the end of the scene, we learn the fate of Apache scout Riago, who had earlier in the film been accused of being an agent of Charriba's by Dundee and others. In the restored version, he is found crucified in a tree. In the theatrical version, his character disappeared without a trace.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A53BF9AD-8083-490F-B103-A1FCCDAD016D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.9 KB ID:	76693

Comment

• Another screening of Airport 75 tonight using the Panasonic VP. Its been an excellent projector for the last 14 years of use and have had a great run out of it so far

Name:	P1190118.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	76717

Name:	P1190177.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	76718

Comment

• I purchased the Airport box set on Bluray but have only watched the first one to date. Hope to get to the rest in the near future. Also have a couple of these on super 8mm digest.

Comment

• You weren't missing much on JAWS 3, except for one shot, in 3D, well the film was in 3D. After the Shark meets his bloody end, his entrails slowly float towards you in the water. OK, I liked that. We have been watching, for the wifey, the Downton Abbey series on Blu-ray. On our new 4K TV. The image quality is really good. We had bought this Blu-ray when we still had an old school 42 inch TV, and while it looked good, having the right equipment obviously makes quite a difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post
                        Major Dundee extended version. Cleaned up print with new music score. It does flow better and is an improvement on the existing versions. Do miss the old soundtrack 🥲 Running time is 2 hours and 15 minutes. The old 8mm 400ft version was a classic.

Restored scenes are listed below. These include both brief inserts and additions to existing scenes, as well as four major scenes restored to the film.
                        Not my favorite Peckinpah film. I will have to check out this new version to see if I enjoy it more. I've always considering The Wild Bunch to be his best and I did enjoy Ride The High Country as well. Old cowboys watching their time come to an end...

And let's not forget One Eyed Jacks. Peckinpah worked on the screenplay before Brando took over Kubrick's directing job. Can't help but wonder what Jacks would have looked like had Peckinpah been the director.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                          Another screening of Airport 75 tonight using the Panasonic VP. Its been an excellent projector for the last 14 years of use and have had a great run out of it so far...
                          Graham, I looked at the first picture and thought, "that's Airplane!, not Airport 75". That must be the scene Airplane! was spoofing.

Name:	airplane.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	76758

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

Not my favorite Peckinpah film. I will have to check out this new version to see if I enjoy it more. I've always considering The Wild Bunch to be his best and I did enjoy Ride The High Country as well. Old cowboys watching their time come to an end...

And let's not forget One Eyed Jacks. Peckinpah worked on the screenplay before Brando took over Kubrick's directing job. Can't help but wonder what Jacks would have looked like had Peckinpah been the director.
                            Hi Ed

I prefer the Wild Bunch and Ride the High Country as well. Major Dundee is flawed but not bad.

Mike

Comment

• Wild Bunch and Ride the High Country are in the top 5 as IMDB rates them:

1. The Wild Bunch (1969) 7.9
                              2. Straw Dogs (1971) 7.4
                              3. Cross of Iron (1977) 7.4
                              4. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) 7.4
                              5. Ride the High Country (1962) 7.4​

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

Graham, I looked at the first picture and thought, "that's Airplane!, not Airport 75". That must be the scene Airplane! was spoofing.

Name:	airplane.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	76758

I'm sure the producers were told that if the NUN had the guitar they would have been sued. In the end the guitar was only borrowed from the nun IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                                X